Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My rôle given away & demoted

Options
  • 26-02-2023 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Good afternoon all,

guess I’m just looking for a place to put this, so many feelings going on right now about my work situation I kind of I’m not really sure what to think. I’m there 1.5 years.

my other half started a job some distance from home about three weeks ago, it affected my hours immediately as I would have to leave work half an hour early in order to collect our kids which he usually did.

so naturally I had to explain why I needed to leave earlier, and the conversation progressed into me suggesting that you know if his job worked out, closer to September we might be considering a move up that general direction. It’s commute-able though.

I explained that I had not started to look at houses to rent, I had no idea about schools, I had literally no work done, this was just something that may be happening if the job worked out.

The very next morning I walked in, as I got ready to do work the boss diary is open across pc, with a note to put up ad- advertising my job.

this weekend, I was told that there is a new girl starting to take over my position in two weeks time, and I would be returning to General duties until I finish off whenever that maybe.

i was absolutely shocked as I suggested this might happen in 7 months time and 3 weeks later I’m now demoted. I’m so incredibly upset. I actually don’t even want to go back let alone train this person and go do menial sh*t. 🥹

Comments

Contact the WRC Advisory Service and/or seek legal advice immediately.

It sounds like they took your conversation as you giving some kind of notice?

You certainly have very good grounds to make a complaint to WRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 WonderousWorld

Really?

in truth that wasn’t my plan or thinking , I just wanted to vent! I’ve been very affected since. I’ve been very sad & angry. Even the manner it was delivered was so casual, I was actually doing something as I was being told. I just feel like, waaaay too much was read into the conversation. Boss is my age and we are on friendly terms so I felt comfortable to chat but never expected this.

Is your current role one that requires your presence until your original finishing time?

The only reason I can think for them hiring someone else for that job and putting you on different duties, is that they need someone in your role until 5:30pm (or whatever time it is).

If that is their reason, (and its a big if, but probably the reason they'll give you ) - I don't know what you can do.

They could argue that you're not being fired, they're assigning you to other duties to suit their business needs and to accommodate your request to finish work earlier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sounds like a clear enough case of constructive dismissal to me, based on the story outlined.

• Advertisement

I worked in a public service public-facing role, so my work schedule was bound by the opening times of the premises. A minimum of 2 admin staff had to be present for locking up procedure, often but not always with an attendant. On some occasions we would have the luxury of an extra relief staff member, and then if one of us was owed an hour back we could take it by leaving early.

If OP is in a time sensitive role, eg a client-facing role (eg answering phone calls) and the hours clients can contact extend beyond the leave half-an-hour-early time, then boss would be in his/her rights to inform that such an arrangement was not possible whilst remaining in current role. But to implement it without discussion and demote you and hire a new person is just not on, full stop.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Augme

What goes your contract say re start and finish times? I certainly would be as keen as others are on the idea of immediately going to the WRC.

Unless I have misinterpreted or misread your OP, what you basically did was turn up to your employer and tell them thst you have made the unilateral decision to leave work half an hour early. Again, more details would be required to get full clarity on the situation, but as a rule of thumb, I'd say most employers would consider that behaviour fairly outrageous.

No, I’m in hair industry. I was taken in as a hairdressing assistant but my 10 years admin was realised and I developed a role then As accounts assistant , receptionist assistant and also hair assistant. My hours 9.30-6, but I took 30min break reduction to give back the 30 minutes early leave.

Can they manage without me on site yip, I’m constantly on WhatsApp -& have accounts & emails on my phone which I regularly respond to outside my hours. But will include in my hours worked.

I only work 3 days, and still can do the 1 late night til 8.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So in summary you were taken on as a hairdressing assistant later moved to admin and within admin you did the accounting task which have now been assigned to a new hire and you have returned to general admin. Accounting is a significant role and it makes sense for the employer to want to ensure continuity and have as much cover as possible until you leave. There is nothing wrong with this, your job is still there you have just been assigned new tasks so I would forget about all this constructive dismissal etc BS.

• Advertisement

No essentially my tasks will be removed and I’m upset by how quickly it happened with no further discussion.

im not looking for a case or complaint I just wanted to air it, and see if others felt it was kinda **** and not just my internal feeling.

replies make me feel that yes it is a bit ****, and if I get nothing but a feeling of peace from that it’s enough.

i do know now however I’m very much gonna literally just do the job with no extras and be un-contactable after hours & on days off. They move on, so do I.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What was the status of your move to accounts/admin? Do you have paperwork and a new job title to go with it, or did it happen bit by bit?

No paperwork, just moved there into a more office setting as I’ve a load of experience there also.

But the OP never said they were leaving , just that they may move house to a further away area in a few months time. They also said if they did move, the distance was commutable.

OP, you need to sit down and have an honest conversation with the manager.

What did you say when they told you about the new person starting?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Put yourself on the other side of the table for a while - the OP is a member of the general admin staff performing accounting tasks contrary to the title they were never promoted so they could not have been demoted and their role as an admin operative was not taken away they were assigned different tasks.

Accounting is a very critical task in any organization to the point that a failure could have a very critical impact on the business. If you were in charge and became aware of the possible departure of that person would sit back and do nothing and hope for the best or takes steps to minimize any potential risk to your business?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Has the rate of pay changed?

If not, then enjoy less stress and the same money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sit down with your boss and have a chat, it sounds more like they misunderstood you saying about your partners job working out as you might be leaving in September. Just say you think there was a misunderstanding, you are not planning on leaving and explain you think the half hour early thing doesn't affect your admin work and you are taking shorter lunches to compensate.

Hard to tell from your OP but maybe they are annoyed you just decided this rather than sitting down with them a week or two before your partner started, which I can understand but nothing that can't be worked out with a simple, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I am putting myself on the other side of the table, and I think the employer has acted very hastily. I also don't think this is a large operation with multiple admin staff. The OPs role was only 3 days a week.

If we are to take what the OP says, she only mentioned to her manager, in what she thought was a friendly conversation, that she could be moving house in 7 months time if her partner's job worked out. She even stressed that it was something she was only starting to consider - she hadn't looked into houses, schools, or anything yet.

So for her manager to then start advertising for her replacement the very next day? No, there is something missing here.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,931 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the lesson learned, only tell management the bare details of any situation. What’s happening right now, not what is coming down the line, not what might happen or stuff you are ‘planning’. NO employer will give you the same courtesy in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You were never promoted, so you haven't been demoted either.

Lose the attitude about "menial crap" and do the job you were hired for.

If you don't like the job, find another one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Squatman

woke up on the wrong side of teh bed mrs o bumble?

That’s exactly it. I’ve always been extremely forthcoming and honest with employers- have learned my lesson.

will look at the positives and enjoy hanging back for the same rate of pay ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Someone speaking sense. This is the best way and if you went to the WRC, at least you could argue that you tried to amicably resolve the situation.

I'm assuming that if you moved home in September, you would also be leaving the job? The jobs market is carnage at the moment for employers, it often takes months to hire the right person, and when you factor in the notice period, holidays, and handover/ training, the handover timeframe reduces. I'm not saying your employer is right, but there are 2 sides to a coin.

Absolutely, I love it there, best team environment I’ve worked in.

i just wanted to know if others saw things differently. Not looking for problems or to cause any, just I tend to overthink and get hyper focused so trying to level out.

its in their interests of course, and I fully get that, just shocked at the crazy fast movement.

OP, can I check one thing.

Did you tell your employer you would be leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,186 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That’s pretty much it, op, are you leaving 30mins earlier, and being paid the same as you were? If you are, then it’s hard to see why you are upset.

If an employer thinks there is a possibility of you leaving, it is prudent to plan for it, giving away so much information was probably a mistake.

OP says she gave up 30 minutes of her lunch break to leave early.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Sounds as though your boss took you up the wrong way. I would have a chat with her again and then follow up with an email confirming same so you have it in writing. Say how much you love the role and mention what progress you've made and hope to continue developing the role in the coming months.

As nice as they sound, I think this was a bit unfair of her to immediately start recruiting. I wouldn't look into WRC just yet. Try and sort this out yourself and if there is no movement on this, then I would look into legal action. Do they know that you are taking a half hour lunch to compensate the time lost? If it's something you decided yourself without flagging it it's possible they didn't notice it. Make sure you include that in the email.

I would approach this in a friendly and honest manner. Don't go in guns a blazing. Just remain calm and positive about it and that you are afraid that something was misunderstood.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think it was a mistake to say anything. But no point going over that. I think as others have said. Leaving the 30 mins early actually suits you better. You've worked your way very quickly up through roles, I can't imagine you'll have a problem getting work anywhere, with that on your CV.

As others have suggested I think perhaps the boss wanted to get someone else in, and used your information as a means to achieve this. Happened too quick not to have had some forethought. They wouldn't have given you the roles if you were under performing, so it's not that. I would stat keeping a record of all meetings and what was said. Just in case.

But I would take the 30 mins, and see what happens. Consider taking some courses if the admin/accounts side was something your want to pursue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,186 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That is not always the same thing though, obviously constitutes a change in working times and the employer has to ensure the employee gets their break entitlement during the day.

Advertisement