Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The youth of today - late teens - 20 somethings - strange accents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭slither12

I think people putting on D4 accents is bs to be honest. It's true that we change our accents when speaking to different people and make it sound posher when calling a bank, going for a job interview etc... But I don't for a second believe someone could put on a fake accent throughout their entire day going to college.

I also think that kids from Cork having posh accents is probably because middle class people from Dublin are moving to those areas. Accents change very slowly and while Irish speech is becoming Americanized (i.e. guys/lads, mom/mum, police/gardai), the accent itself still sounds the same.

I worked witha french guy in Ballincollig who moved to Ireland 20 years previously with little English. Lovely guy but his accent was just hilarious. <french lilt> bla bla bla</french-lilt> , Boy!

Makes me laugh to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭sporina

seems that 2 diff accent entities are being discussed here = D4 accents and those influenced by YouTube, TicTok, etc etc..

I think what I am hearing on the streets is the latter

thanks for the clarification..

showing my age.. i don't spend any time on either really - well maybe YouTube but just for music/talks etc.. don't have TT nor won't

• Registered Users Posts: 20,785 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Louth is the smallest county, but has a variety of accents. Drogheda urban is much different than Dundalk urban, and both are much different to mid Louth. Around the Armagh border, there is a cross border similarity. This does not happen in Cavan along the Fermanagh border.

Other people living in different counties, will probably say the same, different accents every few miles. We have had British radio and TV for decades, and American programmes, but this never diminished Donegal or Kerry accents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 bannedboyband

Most likely "all put on". A lot of adults love trying to sound American too just listen to presenters on television and radio. Weird behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭slither12

This may be unpopular but I'd rather hear a faux American accent or D4 accent than a skanger "What's the story bud".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

2FM is rife with annoying American sounding eejits.

I haven't seen anyone wearing a juicy couture tracksuit since 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

It’s all bromates now if anyone still says bud they’re my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

TikTok accent

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I thought of this thread over the weekend, A childhood friend of mine has lived in Liverpool for 7 years & he has home the weekend & has a very scouse accent now,

I was joking with him about it & he says its because if he speaks with his natural Dublin accent he just has to repeat himself constantly that goes for in work & at home because his wife two kids have scouse accents as they are Liverpool born & Breed,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭beachhead

Yes,Kinsale would count as Dalkey.I like it-the comparison thatbis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The development of Hibernia English accents in the EU, see the story of the Latvian Prime minister with the Irish accent is seen as an interesting and quirky human interest story. Yet, the development D4 accents seem to trigger some people so much.

Neutral accents are on the rise because of social media and a greater awareness of how an accent can pigeonhole someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Accents are influenced by plenty more than just location or media consumption or literature or whomever a person surrounds themselves with. It’s just as common to hear children speaking with a New York accent nowadays as it is to hear children years ago speaking with a distinct Texan drawl or nasal sounds, a few years back when children were glued to Barney on TV. The whole ‘D4’ accent has been around for donkeys, it’s not new, and it’s certainly not limited to teenagers or any particular social class.

It’s just easier to tell in some cases where people are from when you’re already familiar with how people from that area generally speak, no different than people in different parts of Cork, Limerick, Galway or Dublin all sound different or speak differently or use words and phrases which are by definition, colloquialisms. I know what people mean when they’re referring to someone speaking English with an Indian accent for example, though there are there are numerous regional variations and dialects of Indian accents -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_differences_and_dialects_in_Indian_English

Similar story with Chinese -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varieties_of_Chinese

@mariaalice "Neutral accents are on the rise because of social media and a greater awareness of how an accent can pigeonhole someone"

seems so.. and if one has a musical ear, they pick up accents more easily

there is prob a bit of a peer influence too with regards to the youth I am talking about

Where are they getting the New York accent from if it is not from media consumption? The Barney accent was obviously got from media consumption. I never heard any children talking with a distinct Texas drawl or nasal sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I didn’t say children were just getting the New York accent from any source other than media consumption though? The point was accents are influenced by a variety of sources.

You’ve been lucky enough then that you haven’t heard children speak with a distinct Texan drawl or nasal sound, it’s fairly bizarre 😂

You prefaced your statement about their New York accents by saying that there are plenty more influences on accent than  just location or media consumption or literature or whomever a person surrounds themselves with. That's what confused me, I thought you meant one of those other influences. There may be plenty of other influences, but beyond location, media, literature and people who surround us, I struggle to think of any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The voices in yer head, maybe? 🤪

(They may be aliens trying to communicate with you from another dimension.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You do still hear accents but I find it is in communities that are very tight knit. For example rural Ireland to varying degrees. GAA backgrounds in particular "Com-mit-eeee' (Committee) "Mill-lin" (Million). But it would be rare in the younger generation who are more educated. But even the educated can mangle words such as Gardai it becomes 'Goor-deee' used by many in RTE.

The educated young accent has definitely changed in the 60's/70's it seemed closer to some form of English accent, then in the 80's the 'Dort accent' was manufactured to show a sense of status among the educated youth - the upwardly mobile. But now accents are veering more towards an Irish version of an American accent.

You might also only hear strong accents 'natural accents' in the Dublin soccer fraternity, trade union types - taxi drivers. bus drivers etc. For example I heard one that threw me recently from a soccer youtuber, as well as former professional soccer player from Dublin. They pronounced the word 'of' was a jarring 'ubh' to my ears. even as a Dub. Which is why I searched for this thread.

There always seems to be 'tells' in a persons speech if you listen carefully. Unless they set out to change their accent. Little phrases like that can giveaway background.

I think it depends on education. The more educated a person is the more likely the chance is that they will try and change their accent to 'fit in'. Or those who work in positions of authority. There are of course exceptions such as Bertie Ahern, Gerry Adams, Joe Duffy. Who I would argue made a concerted effort not to change their accent too much because of pride of place. But I would think even those three softened their original accents over time.

In the older generation of rural Ireland it really stands out. Where individuals would not have received much education in comparison to the late teens/20 somethings.

For example TD's Peter Fitzpatrick. Mattie McGrath and Danny Healy Rae. Those three gentlemen do not even attempt to alter their speech, even for clarity sake. They speak at the same high speed and run their words together as if they are chatting to the lads down the pub, no matter what. Which can result in some funny misunderstandings as heard in the Dail Committees, or the Dail Chamber.

But accents are always evolving anyway the original Dublin accent is a hybrid of the English garrison soldier accent (the dropping of the 'T' in 'Right') and Hiberno-English (the use of 'me' from the Irish mo') The rural Irish accent leans even more heavily towards the Hiberno-English with borrowed Irish phrases such as 'A mhacin' etc.

As others have said the influence of American culture on youngsters accents is going to be even stronger than years ago. It is now not just TV programmes, Music and Film. But the internet is all pervasive in peoples lives, Americanism's will dominate. Just by sheer volume alone.

It will be interesting in future generations to see what influence those from African countries bring to the Irish accent, for example. Particularly as we see the numbers of second generation Irish from those communities increase. Because they will come from areas with tight knit communities. And will likely develop their own unique Irish African lingo, that could influence some general Irish speech over time.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Here are three Irish girls with some African influence on their accents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeEF8Eqkcq8&t=249s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

According to my family in Ireland, I've a bastardised accent, I don't think I have that mid atlantic one, its a mix due to my time living in Kerry, England and Spain and then absorbing French content like a demon the last 3-4 years. Actually, I haven't really heard that mid atlantic accent in Kerry whenever I'm back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

People have been talking about Irish youngsters with an American twang to their accents for 30 years.

What I want to know is, what's the story with that accent Dermot Kennedy, Lewis Capaldi and numerous other singers put on. It's not geographically limited. Very difficult to listen to - horrible. So contrived. I know I don't have to listen to them but they're played constantly in my local supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I had actually thought there were suddenly loads of us kids in our town earlier this year but I've been informed by daughter who's in the know that it's social media accent.

A sort of California/east coast/local mix with plenty of 'like' thrown in for good measure.

A bit hard to take tbh. Especially in large doses🥴😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

It's funny. Northern Irish (well, the Protestant ones anyway), Welsh, Scottish and English children and teens watch the same products and they speak with their native accents. It's a uniquely Irish affliction.

Advertisement