Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The youth of today - late teens - 20 somethings - strange accents?

Options
  • 23-02-2023 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭

I live in Cork City - something I have noticed - that the youth around me - ages mentioned in the title - have non Cork accents.. but they seem to be from Cork/Irish - but they have these foreign sounding accents - not quite American - but neutral - in a refined way.. anyone else noticed this? And if so, why is this? the influence of media? I am a bit of a dino so out of sync with the aforementioned youth of today.. but just my observations from certain social settings..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

The youth of today has got lots to say

It's our life, it's our future

Because we're living today

So don't blame the youth

What do you say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭sporina

who mentioned "blame"?!

just curious about their accents..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Youtube, TicToc etc., they grow up in front a screen listening to American 'influencers' and 'content creators'. Then there's what they're watching on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭ThePentagon

My eight year old nephew speaks with what is essentially an American accent. Nothing discernibly Irish about it. From watching so much YouTube I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Youtube accent my two daughters grew out of it in their early teens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

"foreign sounding accents - not quite American - but neutral - in a refined way.."

I have no idea what a Cork person speaking like that would sound like. If it comes from TV and YouTube, it must be happening in Donegal and Dublin as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Another vote for the youtube influence, its a bit like the fake D4 accent UCD students adopt, most will grow out of it in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭sporina

i am in Cork - so I can't speak for the rest of the country..

It must be difficult to speak with a fake accent. I am not in UCD so I have to take people at their word that the students are all speaking with fake accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

reminded me of this

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Glaceon

My sister has an American twang, we put it down to watching a lot of Nickelodeon as a child.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Accents are a constantly evolving thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

American accent's in Irish children is becoming huge, All YouTube kids, who's parents let them spend hours upon hours watching there tablets,

A very strange one is nearly every black youth in Ireland has a London accent, from Dublin all the way to Cork you'll find groups of black teenagers with London accents ,

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DirectorKrennic

I find this post is very timely to be honest!

I was in the office in Dublin yesterday (I work for a company with hundreds of employees, on the larger side/scale). Anyway, I walked into the canteen with 3/4 of my colleagues and there were about 15/20 students being shown around the place. I said to my colleagues 'Oh, they must have a group of students or interns over from America' and then one of my mates said 'No, they're all Irish!' my response was literally 'What the ... f*?' In other words, a group of Irish students with full on American accents. My best guess is that most shows now on Netflix and videos on YouTube/Tik Tok have a lot of American people on them/actors. It is something I've noticed too. Anyway people's accents are their own business I guess. I lived abroad for a few years and at a Christmas party in 2017 (I thought this was very rude) a lady about my age was like 'Why do you talk like that?' - in other words, why do you have an Irish accent? Then when I moved back a few times in 2018 and a bit last year sometimes people would be like to me 'Where in America are you from?' - My accent has gone back to being pretty Irish cause I work with a lot of Dubs. I think there has been a rise of the 'neutral' accent and then the Irish accent with a bit of an American twang. Apparently I say 'time' in an Aussie accent too - very weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,998 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It'll never be as bad as the accent that sprang up in the London area where they sound like they're just off the ship from Jamaica, and the accent transcends all races.

A couple of my grandkids in Dub speak with English accents because of all the BBC kids' programmes they watch, and I think people who don't know them think they were born there.

I remember seeing a documentary decades ago about an English family who moved to France with their kids. When the kids were in the house they spoke English with an English accent, but when they were outside playing with French friends, they spoke English with a French accent. Weird.

If we come back in a hundred years, we won't be able to understand people, and they won't be able to understand us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Yeah I've noticed it here in Kildare too, there are no bogger accents anymore. It's like a fake American accent. Then you have the fake nails, fake tan and big voluptuous arses accentuated by Juicy Couture tracksuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I've noticed that as well with some black kids. Well I hadn't figured it was a London accent, just that it didn't sound like an Irish accent that I could trace to a specific location even though they grew up here. Denise Chaila is a good example. She grew up in Limerick (moved there when she was 3) but her accent doesn't sound like a Limerick accent:

In contrast Rashidat Adeleke, who was born and grew up in Dublin has an accent that sounds far more like a local accent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Cheila is the archetypal blimbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My eldest started to develop one when she was 9. It went as soon as she went to secondary school, and there isn't a trace of it now at 14. Although she's very good at doing various accents for fun. She does a great New Zealand one.

She's in two drama groups. What I do notice is that almost all the kids, when they're acting, can't help but put on American accents (even when they're supposed to be playing Irish characters), even if they talk "normally" the rest of the time. The drama teachers should be beating it out of them.

I've 9 year old twin daughters. No sign of the american accent with them yet. One speaks inexplicably well and proper, with what could almost be described as a "posh" Irish accent. The other one talks like a Clare farmer half the time. You couldn't tell they're from the same house, let alone twins, from listening to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I live in a part of West Dublin with a very high concentration of people from an African background. I would estimate that ~10%-15% of the population is black, which is extraordinarily high for Ireland. I also coach a local kids sports team.

My observation is that the 'sarf' London accent is very noticeable amongst black youths, but mostly amongst those who primarily mix with other black teenagers. The minority who are better integrated and have some white Irish friends, tend to have more 'local' accents.

I've also noticed that many of the black teenagers / young adults in this area seem to make for London / wider UK as soon as they finish school or college. The roots here seem to be pretty superficial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Mister Vain

and big voluptuous arses accentuated by Juicy Couture tracksuits.

Well.... Maybe not all change is so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I’ve a different issue around here a lot of the youth on the corners these days sound Irish; so look Irish you’ll assume but they’re communicating in some form of slavic

-an outlier island does not have the cultural pull of powerhouse nations it can get lost somewhat, carved to shreds people identifying with anywhere but and for the 10% the media portray it’s not worth it.

Post edited by Bobblehats on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Not just Cork.It's the same all over the country.Not just kids or teenagers either.I heard a 30 year mother talking to her daughter last night in the supermarket.Mammy's accent changed frequently but had no irish twang at all-she was irish born behind it.Thing is most irish can be spotted by other countries no matter what twang they adopt.The slagging is mighty then.

Judging by how strong Scottish, Geordie, Cockney, Scouse and Belfast accents are, the phenomenon does not seem to affect the UK as much. That is from hearing them on TV and radio. Or go to a football match involving Ulster counties, and you won't hear many YouTube accents. I was at the Monaghan Donegal game in Clones, and I did not pick up any fake accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

lol that is fairly spot on. She sounds exactly like my niece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

I'd rather be dipped in **** than fake a D4 accent. I remember talking to a UCD student from Sligo after he'd had a few booze and he sounded normal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

My cousin lives in Dun Laoghaire, he has the posh D4 accent but I'm not sure how to describe the accent his kids have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭amacca

Top boy innit mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I know someone born in England but moved to Ireland as a teenager, when I am talking to her its a normal Irish accent but if her mother rings her while im there, her accent turns totally english, its really weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I find you can be from anywhere in Ireland but if you went to a private school you're likely to sound D4. The D4est accent I've ever heard was on a girl I met from Kinsale while in Australia about 15 years ago. I think Kinsale is like Dalkey though, posh af.

Advertisement