Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kaleidoscope 2023

Options
  • 23-02-2023 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

Line-up announced for this family friendly version of EP. Didn't expect much as Gavin James had already been announced, but am pleasantly surprised with it.

Have never been, but will be going with the caravan and a 5 and 8 year old for their festival baptism

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Going this year ourselves too with the 3 kids. Have been to EP twice with the kids - anyone been to both and is there much of a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That is quite a tempting lineup

Not sure how child friendly Fun Lovin' Criminals are, but I'd enjoy them 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Wow, Nile Rodgers and Chic is a step up for them headliner wise. Not for me but that's a pretty good line up for a family centred festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭maddness

I’ve just said as much in another thread. They are fantastic live but yeah not exactly what I’d have thought for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

James Morrison was dropping so many F bombs last year it was unreal. He even commented how it probably wasn't suitable for a kids festival.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I see Huey the singer quit the band so they have a new singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,952 ✭✭✭Patser

I know every year I give out a bit about the line up - apologies again Dec Pierce, you were perfect for the festival - but my God music wise it's very bare this year.

Take away the headliners above - and the always excellent King Kong Company and Jerry Fish - and the stages are near empty.

Mark the Science guy is now Main Stage material?? 2 days in a row. Zumba and fitness training with Danspire the 'entertainment' in Zozimus secondary stage...... Filler DJ sets, San Patricio Mariachi band - who were always a bit of fun in the small Jerry Fish tent are now headline Friday act...

Do love the fact that Ultimate Kids Disco with Will Softly is followed by The Sleaze, but that comedy aside, this is very, very poor. Especially when compared with Forest Fest line up a few weeks later.

And yet will end up as Wife and Kid love it, and buy next year's ticket immediately. Unless this year really is a damp squib.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

It's pretty grim and didn't buy tickets due to the lack of lineup. hopefully you have better weather than last year.

Shame as it's pretty close to where I live.

Festival republic fests have been pretty weak this year. I'm assuming cost cutting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Fanirish

In fairness Nile Rodgers fee probably more than all of last years headliners combined

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭jellybeano

Sunday main stage is alright looking but the lineup for rest of the stages across the weekend is shockingly poor.

Anyone entertaining from the last 2 years have been bumped up to the main stage… Mark the Science guy, Jerry Fish and friends. They should have kept the Jerry Fish and friends in the Sideshow tent from the first year. Mark the science guy should be stay over in the woods. Yes they draw a crowd but the charm is in the smaller space.

Music last year was very thin too. Not much on.

We love it as a family friendly festival, especially for teenagers who can’t attend other festivals. Gives them a very safe festival experience.

We won’t make it this year. Maybe next year. Hopefully they won’t dilute the lineup any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Himselfe

Random question someone may be able to answer. We are going in our trailer tent and will be there on the Thursday evening. Obviously we'll be towing our trailer tent in (we have a caravan ticket) but do you leave your car beside your caravan/trailer tent or do you have to move it to another carpark after you've set up? Asking because we may have to leave on the Sunday after Nile Rogers and if we can't get our car to the trailer tent we won't be able to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Normally in festivals, your car stays with the caravan / trailer tent. Tent camping must park and lug their gear

Everyone else getting the email really pushing the AIB Tappy wrist band - I'm assuming cards will still be accepted on site rather than downloading an app, registering with AIB and having to manage funds

Edit: Scratch that, their Facebook page is saying it'll be tappy or nothing on site - 'a fun way to teach Children about budgeting' is the best quote I've seen from them!!!! Because tapping a bracelet for Ice Cream teaches responsibility

Haven't used it before, but seems like a good idea to avoid issues with waiting on card connection. Not sure why some people are getting their knickers in a twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Used it there the first year it was a god send. Kids got X amount on band per day , if they went over they went hungry.

Because my memory of 2019 was iffy 3g/4g signal and poor chance to recharge phone- daughter did get the tappy bracelet with some money, and yes did work well, except trying to access app on site.

I'd just rather use my bank card to tap and go, than have another app on phone

Kaleidoscope saying on their Facebook now that due to people's concerns plans for Tappy only have been scrapped and cards will be accepted too

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Is there anywhere to offload tickets for this or is there any demand? We can't go now - I had tickets for 2 adults and 3 children if anyone is looking for them last minute - will sell at less than face value at this late hour. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Have they changed the drinks policy? I swear last year, you were allowed bring your own booze in as a day visitor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

Any reviews? Didn't make it.

Looks to be better run than last year?

I had one of the best weekends at a festival ever. Brought the caravan down on Friday late afternoon. Some waiting but noting to much.

Great set up that rain showers on Friday couldn't ruin. Bewitched were good craic and Rosin O put on a good show. Saturday was when it went up a few levels. I had an 8 and 5 year old with me and on Saturday they did; Critter show with snakes etc, funfair, footgolf, worlds biggest bouncy castle, gamer van, rocket making workshop, Mark the Science guy and that was before the excellent Jerry Fish, King Kong company and a small bit of Gavin James.

You do spend money there and the price of the funfair rides at 3 each is a bit much considering you've paid in but its a great family festival. Toilets were cleaned often, caravan campsite was lovely and silent from 11 am to around 9 am.

We left on Sunday lunchtime so cant comment on Nile Rogers etc but highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

Sorry to reply to a month old post but I think comparing this with Forest Fest is comparing apples and oranges. I just checked the Forest Fest website - it looks great - but it would cost close to 900 euros for me, my wife and our two kids who are 4 and 6. Kaleidoscope was 250 or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭SteM

Why €900? Under 12s get into Forest Fest free with paying adults.

Ah nice one. I just read the bit that said everyone in the tent needs a ticket. That's not so bad but still a bit more. Line up probably makes it worth it tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭SteM

From the sounds of it there is a lot more to do for kids at Kaleidoscope than FF, especially a 4 and 6 year old. Our fella has just turned 11 so we plumped for FF because the music line-up would be much better for us.

yeah exactly - my kids didn't care about the line up really. They did care about the funfair, games, activities, Mark the science guy etc.

I didn't like the tented main stage this year. Main stage should be out doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I wonder how it did financially. Seems to be finding it's niche. People are realising what exactly it is now and it's demographic should settle going forward, less general horror at the line up, more appreciation for the other kid related stuff. Hope it survives, certainly a place for a genuinely kid friendly festival.

Post edited by Stillill42 on

We all had a great time, and ended up camping with neighbours which helped.

Friday was a bit of a worrying start, between being very wet for a lot of it, and line up a bit weak - B*Witched were fun but Jen Payne afterwards was way too serious and lost all kids interest.

Saturday was just great. Weather really played ball, the new layout of the site actually made a lot of things much more accessible/less walking. Star of the day (days as we went to see him again Sunday) was Niall de Burca the storyteller. Kids absolutely in stitches and loved him. Neighbour was raving about the Robotics workshop. Music wise King Kong Company as usual brilliant live (although more opened Zozimus tent let in too much light for a lot of their laser show). Wife was saying Gavin James was equally good. Oh, Critter guy also very good.

Noticed that Sunday was much, much busier on site- most have been lots of day tickets in for Nile Rogers. The new main stage tent was a great addition, and at busy times sensibly policed for fold up chairs. Fun Loving Criminals were a laugh, trying to sensor their songs. Nile Rogers (who I barely knew barring reputation) was amazing. Bit of a pity he wasn't Saturday or Friday act as by Sunday evening kids were all wrecked, so had to leave early. Along with lots others I could see.

Other little points - good choice of food, all good quality. Funfair was bigger this year I think (maybe last years wet days made it less visited). Lots of bars, short queues. Everything just a tad expensive, but what you expect for 'festival pricing'. As usual a very friendly, family feel to the thing. All very well enjoyed and loads of delighted kids on our road reliving memories.

• Advertisement

It was our first time there and met lots of people we knew who were also first timers. I think it will go on to become a main stay as picking the kids up from school for summer hols and heading straight to the festival is excellent timing by the organisers.

Advertisement