Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been punched or punched someone?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Myself and my brother got jumped by 7 or 8 local scumbags one night when I was 17. Surrounded, knocked to the ground before we could even try to defend ourselves and kicked and punched multiple times, including a parting kick right in my face as they ran off. Surprisingly we weren’t hurt and it could have been much worse.

I’ve punched two people in the head. One was a friend, one was a stranger. Both were the instigators and deserved it 100%, neither were hurt (well, the friend got it in the ear like the one Edward Norton gives Brad Pitt outside the bar in Fight Club), neither punched back, and I felt bad about it afterwards both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bmc58

I hit my brother (one year younger than me) a nice slap in the jaw over another younger brother who was slagging me in my mothers home(she was present).Mother started crying and youngest brother ran away.We stopped and patched things up there and then.I was so sorry.That was 45 years ago and I have have never raised my fist to another human (or animal) since.I am still sorry I ever did it.But it was in the heat of that moment.It's long forgotten in our family but I still remember it with regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Vita nova

The last punch I got was when I was 12 years old and it was a sucker punch that did permanent damage to my teeth, so I've avoided punching or being punched ever since.

In a lot of cases where a confrontation arises there's an imbalance, especially when dealing with gurriers, they have little to lose but you have a lot even if you win. Losing a tooth won't affect their ability to draw the dole or sell drugs but might raise a few eyebrows when you're on a video call with international clients or make life difficult having to explain to your kids why someone knocked your tooth out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

i’m a lover not a fighter. A big lad grabbed my by the collar of a quality shirt one night throttling n threatenin to punch me so I stitched him a loaf and sent him to the dentist

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭purplefields

I've had a chain (not jewellery!) put around my neck from behind, been threatened by a syringe, and nearly got hit by a huge chunk of wood.

However, in all cases I escaped unscathed. My self defence is:

• Try to talk my way out
    • Run as fast as I can.

Actual fighting is a mugs game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

Been punched about 30 times, punched people about 25 times. The difference of 5 is sucker punches, 3 of whom were scobe girls with the fellas I was arguing with and twice I've been punched in the face out of nowhere by someone who then ran away. I grew up in Tralee when it was at its roughest and had hair down to my arse so according to the aul fella I was "looking for trouble". Missing my front teeth, have broken ribs twice, broken wrist, fingers, numerous black eyes. Thought it was normal at the time tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I fully agree with you. Pride can be dangerous as often these fights end up with a group kicking the head of someone on the ground or a knife pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Does a well-deserved slap across the face count? it worked well by the way!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭victor8600

I am from a working class neighbourhood in a city in Eastern Europe. I had to fist fight several times a year during my primary school, my nose was broken twice, I was fully knocked out once. Simple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭AyeGer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Fighting is good for men , builds character and helps us learn who we are, society naturally needs to dissuade such an attitude as a pacified society is much easier to manage and sell stuff to

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Consequences of been a little prick throughout my teens, got in fights almost weekly at 15 and 16. Been hit in the head with a brick and a glass beer bottle. Got a really bad beating when I was 17, face was an absolute mess, multiple face fractures. Fully deserved, me and my sad little gang kept looking for trouble too much and we all got it.

Trained in mma in late 20s, early 30s but never had it in me to hurt someone in the name of competition and you need that.

I would do absolutely everything to avoid confrontation these days but if the situation called for it I'd have no hesitation punching someone in the face.

Post edited by rob316 on

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭student7890

I've been punched maybe 15-20 times but always in the face or side of head with fists, sounded like a golf ball being hit to me a few times. It didn't hurt until later on. Have punched a few people usually defending myself or with good reason.

Only once did it last very long which was the most memorable . I was lucky to get out of that one as it was a crowded area. Fighting with an obese chef in 25 degrees heat down a Thai city street. Rescued by the city police and then fined €5

It helps if you can defend yourself in any city as things can happen.

Beam me up Scotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

When I was 16 I finally plucked up the courage to punch this little scrote who had been slagging me for months. I ran after him, rugby tackled him on the green and gave him a punch between the eyes and a boot in the arse. It was the last time he and his scrote mates ever said anything to me.

The second time after that, I ended up breaking my left hand after punching another scrote in town when I was 21. Definitely not the smartest thing I ever done.

And lastly, about 16 years ago I whacked a guy I know in work who had been winding me up for weeks. Luckily nothing more came of it and we both apologized to each other shortly afterwards. We actually get on quite well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Electric Gypsy

I remember there was a scene in the series 'Veronica Mars' where Logan Echolls throw a great punch at some fella on the beach. It really got me thinking because at the time there was a guy who'd been giving me a hard time at school. About four months later I got the chance the throw a punch at this guy under circumstances almost identical to the scene. I was so happy! On paper I had let myself down, but I viewed it as an achievement. When one of the teachers heard it was me she apparently said "it couldn't have been him, he's a gentleman". I got suspended for a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭purplefields

Often such altercations are planned. I have seen where one, smaller person tries to start a fight and gets the 'victim' to go with them for fistycuffs. Soon after there is much more than one person involved. In one of these instances, I've seen where a bottle was smashed over someone's head.

It's not like in the movies, where Tom Cruise always wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its not like even when I was growing up 20 years, these days a knife is used very quickly. Yes you can kill someone with a single punch and they hit the ground but 99.9% you'll just leave a bruise or break a bone. Fights escalate to someone sticking a knife into someone and not caring what organ or damage they cause happens way too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I had to think long and hard about this. I don't remember having either received or given a punch. My primary and secondary schools had reputations for being rough but I passed through unscathed. Having gone to those schools saved me in a few situations years later when a gang would come over looking for trouble, only for one them to say something like "Leave him. He's OK I was at school with him"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,592 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Yes,

Im not a violent person but thousands of times i'd imagen ,

Firstly older brothers, then from the sports of boxing & Thai kickboxing ,

Then from Soccer & Gaa as a teen & in my 20's & also a few random times just throughout life in public, up to my late 20's ,

A broken nose (boxing) & a few stitches here & there but noting to serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bmc58

I think people are more savage than they were 30 or 40 years ago.Knives are a serious danger in any row nowdays and scumbags carrying them are not afraid to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Punched a kid who tried to steal my lunch when I was 13 or 14. Snapped a bone in my hand in the process.

Told my parents that I tripped over a bag in school, which worked perfectly until a doctor looked at my x-ray and said to my da:

"what we have here, is a textbook boxers fracture" and then went into a lengthy explanation of how it occurs.

Advertisement