Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been punched or punched someone?

Options
  • 19-02-2023 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

I wonder how common it is for people to have experienced violence in their lives. I’d like to create a poll asking if people have been punched or punched someone throughout their lives.

How do I create a Poll?

Post edited by AyeGer on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I .

Post edited by AyeGer on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What do you mean by 'punched' is your first problem. A bit of a dig in the shoulder or floored or what? You need to think about this..

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Nope. The need to hit someone a proper belt never arose nor have I ever earned one. I played a share of sport in my younger years and have been on plenty of messy nights out since then but it never came to throwing punches.

I am a man of peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just punch in 'create a poll', OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,141 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Easily well over 100 people. Mainly fellas.

*in sparring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

not in ten years but from aged ten to thirty six , half a dozen times ( which is on the low side I imagine? )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

In my teens and early 20's I have received and given a quite few, some in sport and others after a few pints! Im 43 now and id say I have not even come close to a situation in 20 years!

Age and maturity has a lot to do with it I would say!

I was able to create them in the old boards but not this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Yes be some rugby idiot in Thomas Street Limerick. I didn't flinch. Some knacker had a go. Punch was slightly harder. Still didn't flinch.

I knocked out a person running for me in Termight club with an open hand hit to his nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Running for you in Termites? I call BS, that carpet was so sticky no way it was possible to move quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I'm ten years older but I'd say the above was the norm for a lot of lads. There comes a point in your 20s where you don't let yourself get into situations where a violent interaction is the ultimate outcome.

Have to say, I've never seen a knife pulled during a fight when I was a young fella, so I'd fear for modern lads when it kicks off. You have no idea what the other fella has on him. Slap in the jaw is a long way from knife in the ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Not since I was 17.. which was 25 years ago. 98% of adults who throw punches in day to day life are braindead scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 43 vatnikbanderite

The nightlink wasn't called the fightlink for no reason...

Never liked getting physical, but after one particular night after getting a slight concussion after getting stuck in the middle of a scrap, and a few other close encounters, I thought enough was enough and joined boxing...

never started anything, but being in town at a certain time around certain people will inevitably involve some arguments....

always given as good as I got, was good to be able to swing a few digs, move fast and get the **** outa there....

gladly those days ae long gone.... still boxing though, so get punched in the face weekly (I'm not very good)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Nah, Termites upstairs in the Savoy was the original sticky carpet, they probably brought it to Costelloes when it closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,904 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Once on the receiving end. Think I mentioned it before… strolling through temple bar on my own… attacked from behind by some random brass monkey…. Left pouring with blood from top left back and side of my head… the single shot must have been driven with some amount of anger and force because I was left a bit unsteady and light headed…. It was no slap. I doubt it had a knuckle duster but the impact felt somewhat harder then just a fist, maybe the slithering urchin had a load of cheap sovereigns on his fingers, dunno..

last time I punched a fella I was around 18/19… self defence, a quite delightful situation which was payback to a little psycho who’d gone from a nice guy, to a miserable little muppet to a little jealous, antagonist, intimidatory and violent person….

Would be Flan style.

Just seen photos of Tony Roche doing the drums at Strictly Rhythm. Those were the days.

BTW the dance floor was not carpet. Was son of the guy that own the swamp. We made up.

I was punched on a few occasions in my teens and 20’s and I punched a few people then too. I never started any fights though.

It seems to be very common in this country. I don’t know much about other countries I’d assume they are much the same.

I was following an account on Twitter called @fighthaven. And there seemed to be a never ending supply of footage of street fights and assaults.

I ended up unfollowing as it was often in my feed first thing in the morning. Bit depressing to wake up too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I worked as a bouncer in Limerick and beyond during my younger years. Did a variety of doors around the town and usually managed to deescalate rather than steam in.

Still ended up in a lot of scraps though, that said working outside of Limerick was always rougher. Dundrum and Nenagh in particular.

Also played a lot of rugby, plenty of digs thrown in contact.

I generally take the role of peacemaker and it works more often than not but, on the occasions trying to becalm a situation didn't work? I had the size and experience to win.

I am too old for it these days tho 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Aye, I went to St Farnan's so I had to fight to survive. I wasn't the biggest fúcker but I had 3 years experience in kickboxing which came in handy.

You had doormen that were friends of Jeffery Fitz and he got away with sht.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bannedboyband

Gave and reviewed some. Some minor, some KO ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Who? Do you mean Brian Fitzgerald?

A bouncer had friends? friends of a bouncer? And they got away with shít...?

What does that have to do with my own post you quoted other than job title? How is your post congruent to thread? Or is it just a general comment? Or is there more to be added?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

i punched a bully in work after getting sick of his slagging.

He was much bigger than me & wasn’t on his own either (typical)

It started off slagging & went from there over a week or two. Then started saying stuff about a family member.

Told him multiple times to cop on. He wouldn’t of course.

Came back from morning tea one day and heard them talking behind my back so I told them that’s it, I gave both of them a few digs & they were quiet lads from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Madeoface

Termights....I loved the place. Nearly gave the guy who ran it a box in the mush for his attitude one time...

Got nose broken by a savage head butt trying to defuse a gang who took umbrage with a pal of mine. Lucky not to be stabbed tbh. O'Connell Street, Dublin late 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭amacca

Punched in the face (made contact around orbital socket) as a 10 year old by a much older lad ...in a sweet shop....sucker punch....then he ran off....for years afterwards I used to dream about 30 seconds down a dark alleyway with that scumbag so I could aquaint him with a baseball bat.

Doctor said it was a real boxers punch, never been punched since, was put in a headlock out of the blue by a scumbag in d'olier Street in my twenties (again a surprise move) ....he disengaged quickly when I spoke in a dublin accent.

That's it, both incidents were very unwelcome.

Would try everything except punch a person for lots of reasons, one of them being fear of what might happen to them or me if things escalated or went wrong. Aware of plenty of cases where a minor scuffle etc resulted in a head injury that left a person dead and messed up a lot of lives ....except Mr unprovoked attack in the sweetshop....I'd still like a crack at him.

October 1996.

I got punched in the head. Lucky it wasn't worse.

I . was . an . Asshole and had provoked him with a finger shape and I was on my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

as an aside ive witnessed heads hit the pavement on a couple of occasions, as the result of the 'victim' being punched.

it is the most horrible sound.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

Advertisement