Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGFA welcome Transgender players.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭davidx40

This is absolutely sick ...... what have the Gaa become

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rosita

Not sure much of that policy would stand up to challenge under the Gender Recognition Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

People will just end up voting with their feet. And not engaging with the sport.

biological men are generally significantly stronger, faster, taller then women.

Ladies matches only last 30 minutes per half. Aside from weather influences on play… men statistically make far more scores then the ladies, are generally taller, faster with more all round physical attributes and ability to perform…

what happens when girls start loosing places in teams and squads ? The shît is going to hit the fan.

this is a massively dumb as fûck OG by the LGFA…. Trans rights seem to trump anyone else’s rights and wellbeing.

I’m sure nobody consulted the girls, players, coaches, etc….

• Registered Users Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just to be pedantic.

The organization that runs ladies (Gaelic) football is the LGFA, not the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Clearly this is wrong and anyone who argues otherwise is a zealot who doesn't understand basic biology.

My sister plays rugby at a high level and I would't be happy with her having to take the risk of playing someone who is biologically male. Women are nowhere near as strong as men.I have younger cousins who play ladies football.

It's bad enough having biological men competing against women in non-contact sports but to allow it in a contact sport is a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thought it had already happened

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I would have thought something like that would have had to go through Congress before it being allowed? This is a significant change to the rulebook surely, so it would need a special congress surely?

Also, putting limits on it - what happens if we have a case similar to Caster Semenya playing inter county, testing positive for testosterone by it isn't because of doping? The 10 nanomoles per litre is the same limit the IAAF set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Congress is a GAA thing. This is nothing to do with the GAA. It's the LGFA who have proven to be a joke since they broke away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭threeball

The world is upside now. Minorities are now more important than majorities. The smaller the minority group the bigger their voice. Politics is dictated those who shout loudest. It no longer matters what the democratic consensus is. Hardly worth voting on anything anymore as some minority group or other will take over the agenda anyway and twist the narrative to suit their agenda.

The government would live up your hole with health and safety legislation in the workplace or schoolyard. But a biological male now has licence to physically challenge a 15yr old girl as long as she's carrying a football. It's time for this nonsense to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭big_drive

Between this now and the camogie carry on last week around UL in college fiasco, I'd say the GAA are better off without any amalgamation of the associations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Just a couple of things here.

1. LGFA have an annual Congress as well - I know, I've attended it a number of times.
    2. LGFA never broke away from the GAA - they formed independently as GAA at that time was seen as a male only sport

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

The LGFA trying not to be seen as old fashioned and being more progressive. This is madness pitting someone with male strength and stamina against a female. They didn't even put it to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Was it JFK who had the slogan "for the many, not for the few"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Any one know of any transgender people wanting to train and play at their club? Maybe I'm out of the loop with the rest of the country, but I can't see there being much of a take up. I know its not the point. I mean is there a demand out there that this has been brought to a head (no pun intended)? Surely, it's a city issue (more population/clubs) where there's more possibility of this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Id imagine the decision makers are basing this on their own personal motives and interests.

Post edited by Gusser09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭FoxForce5

People were warned when we voted for gay marriage there would be unintended consequences. The GRA was tagged onto the legislation underpinning the yes vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭threeball

Gay marriage is one thing as that was improving the life's of a not insignificant amount of people but now we're gone down a road of 10 or 20 people in a thousand demanding that the rest of the population address them in a certain way, kicking up a fuss when it doesn't happen, expecting certain privileges and facilities that are not afforded the rest of us.

Any of us involved in a club with kids have to fill out a garda vetting form. Can you imagine the response if some of these minorities were asked to do the same. There'd be carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Augme

It's disgraceful isn't it. Imagine have the cheek to except someone to call you by your preferred name, just outrageous. What is society coming to when people think that is acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

That is the least concerning thing about all this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

"The LGFA said its new policy followed “a lengthy and detailed consultation process, which took into consideration worldwide international practice and legal advice”. It declined to say what consultation it undertook."

I'd have a feeling there were talks with the GAA, and they were encouraged to go down this route if there was to be a chance of an amalgamation in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

What an absolute joke, it will never been a fair competition if biological makes are allowed to compete against women.

They will always have a physical advantage this is an undeniable, undisputable fact anyone that claims otherwise doesn't understand basic human biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Check out the riddle scale for what the aim is. What the minority want is full affirmation and nurturing. Even acceptance is seen to be against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,387 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Really? Was the GRA mentioned in very small print on the referendum ballot paper or something?

Because I don’t remember any connection between the two entirely separate pieces of legislation, so maybe you could explain exactly what was “tagged on”?

Or is this just a weak attempt of retrospective reframing of a situation? It makes it clear who the mob is coming after next, if they succeed in their attacks on trans people.

The existence of a scale doesn’t tell you anything about what the aim is. I have a 3M measuring tape, does that mean my aim is to be 3M tall?

This is purely inflammatory stirring things up.

How large does a minority have to get to before they get treated with some basic respect?

Gay people and trans people are subject to exactly the same Garda vetting rules as everyone else. Are you trying to hint that there is some connection between trans people and criminal activity?

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Call yourself whatever you want, that's your business. But don't tell me I have to believe it or respect it.

I'll decide for myself if I agree with it.

LGFA made a bad call here but I doubt there will be much uptake. If men start turning up to play women's football there will be such a scene each time it wouldn't be worth it.

You’re welcome to your own opinions, but if you’re part of any organisation, such a a voluntary group or an employment situation, you’re going to have to treat people with respect, in line with organisation policy. Ask Enoch Burke if you don’t believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It tells you that even acceptance and tolerance is seen as a negative and the only thing acceptable is affirmation and nurturing.

The cry initially was to show tolerance and accept me for who I am. That's now deemed as hatred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Are you saying Transgender will become a large 'minority' in Ladies Gaelic Football?

I will not allow my teenage daughter EVER play Ladies GF if theres a transgendering (?) man/boy on the opposition, for her own h&s , as a person gone through male puberty will be stronger than her, always.

Also, will the Ladies Gaelic Football Association now have to change their name ? No doubt they will HAVE to .......

I wonder would the Camogie Association take note and follow the LGFA and allow people that used to be male play camogie against girls/women?

Its just crazy stuff .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Advertisement