Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you support a windfarm in your area?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Yes

I think you will find the people who find them a destruction of a calming countryside view had no issues when they build a massive house far too big for their requirements right slap in the middle of that countryside view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

No

Voted no,they would trouble me if they were within a 5km radius of me but that is unlikely to happen where I reside, I have no objection to others who want to live beside them, in fact I would encourage those people to make it known to their local Authority that they would welcome a wind turbine beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

No

My super-smart uncle was a high ranking NASA official. A political mover and shaker. I recall his remarking, many years ago, that he "watched the news to find out what's NOT going on".

A not dissimilar remark to Denzel Washington's "If you don't watch the news you are uninformed, if you DO watch the news you are misinformed"

I look at the news thro those eyes now, if at all. I would trust them to accurately report the football results, to be fair. But only because they've not given me reason not to trust them with the football results.

We are being told there is a climate crisis.. Few of us have the wherewithal to comprehend the science for ourselves. We trust authorities.

Since I don't trust mainstream authorities for my information anymore, at least not easily, I see no need for windfarms.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yes

Your against windfarms because you don't comprehend the science behind climate change. Interesting take I'll give you that. Personally, even without the climate crisis, I'd still say renewable energy is not a terrible idea. As for not trusting the media, fair enough, but the raw data that would require the complicit actions of millions (temperature changes, weather change etc) is a bit different, look at that and then make up your mind. Don't get me wrong, plenty of 'do gooders' have given wrong or misleading information but until we are willing to be a bit more brutal about adaptions, solar and wind are as good as we will get.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes

The usual nay-sayers will claim that solar doesn't produce much at night, but peak demand isn't at night it's during daylight hours.

Solar is the generator with the cheapest running costs and it displaces peaking plant at expensive times of day.

Anything after that is icing on the cake and it all adds up.

Today the UK was getting more from solar (yellow) than nuclear (grey) between 10:10 and 14:30 - mostly because nuclear output dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

No

By "one-off housing" do you mean the holiday homes of the virtue signalling dubs who come in their droves 3-4 times a year in their zero-emission vehicles?

Don't use reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

No

It's not that I don't comprehend it (although truly embarking to obtain a sufficient understanding would be daunting for most people - and I speak as a mech engineer who at least has nodding ability with understanding science).

The problem is that the science can be spun by 'interests'. Richard Horton, current editor of The Lancet spoke of this problem when he stated that as much as half the science may be false: dogged by sloppiness, poor technique and various vested interest (not least: ensuring the science pleases the funder of the science).

He spoke in the medical realm but the problem is across science. It's not difficult: if it is useful to commandeer a lever of power, it will, in time, become totally commandeered by those who would be served by that commandeering. If you don't understand that and you still believe the Murdoch Media serves your interests then I have a bridge in Dublin I can sell you

Renewable is not a terrible idea. But it is unlikely there's a free lunch. At least, life as an engineer has taught me that generally. The idea of pretty windmills (and there is an elegance in harnessing wind) appeals to the ignorant dog in the street. As soon as you get into the nitty gritty however, you find its a more problematic business. I've been involved in many a project which appears a no brainer at the concept, only to see reality torpedo it.

I'd see rabid consumerism as a far greater problem for the long term health in the world. Green energy (even if necessary) seeks an alternative way to keep the party going - judging by the size of some of the monstrous e-vehicles I see go by each day.

PS: this gig of recorded time is a crock. Mid 1850's starting of recording is irrelevant. I saw a graph that had the temperature in Jesus' day a good deal higher than 2C above present day. That true?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Kurooi

No

Define "my area"

Because I don't like the thought process behind "If you want something, you must suffer for it" surely we can zone somewhere the hell away from housing to put down a few wind turbines. And if that's impossible then sure out to sea. I can't have a school, working public transport, a ***** sidewalk in my strictly residential area but a WIND TURBINE FARM that's something I can have.

Yes

100% we are cheapskates on a day night meter, all heavy appliances over night, we aren't even close to 50% usage at night.

Yes

Away from what housing? Most of the objections seen to be from a small group of rural individuals. As far as I can tell, most wind farms are away from large developments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

No

You sound like one of those people who beleive the BS the likes of SSE and Energia were coming out with about suppyling "100%" green energy🙄

No

Pity they require so much back up from fossil from then isn't it....

No

We already import nuclear via UK interconnectors and will be importing alot more when the French one in Cork gets built ie. an Irish solution to our wind powered delusions

No

Those who love pylons will love wind farms cos u need a vast number of extra ones to connect these white elephants all over the country. Of course a magic money tree will pay for all that and not the bill payer🙄

No

Yeah - by the developers and are about as credible as their breeding bird reports done in winter

No

So you want remote areas of Natural beauty dosed in noise pollution too?? How very green.....

No

Recently 200 objections went in against a 7 turbine windfarm in a rural part of Kildare. If you follow the issue its a similar pattern across the country in terms of opposition with community groups battling wind developers across the country. Doesn't really tally with the view of Eamon Ryan groupies here who will never see a wind turbine within view of their property

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes

Nuclear is baseload only, no one exports it. No one.

The UK is a nett importer of power. Right now the UK has only 4 of 9 reactors online. And 2 of those 4 are Reducing load prior to outage.

I've not see a period where French exports exceeded all non-nuclear generation. So far this year all of France's exports have been met by renewables. In the past it was fossil fuel and hydro that was exported.

The nice thing about interconnectors is that we can benefit from wind both here and abroad where the weather may be different. https://www.met.ie/climate/climate-of-ireland. We are further north and west than France so during the height of summer they could be using our solar during their night.

Yes

Did I say that? No I didn't

Plus i think you will find the "remote areas of natural beauty" are been dosed with McMansion from people building house three times too big for their requirements. Which of course also has a massive knock on affect on the power requirements. Join any Air2water heat pump group and find loads of posts of people with anywhere from 3-6000sqft houses and not been able to heat them

One off housing in the countryside is not "virtue signalling dubs" and never has been.

Planning was stopped years ago for people who are not from the area. SO if I was from Dublin and wanted to build a house in the countryside I would be blocked because I am not from the area. I would need to buy an existing house.

If people from outside the area have bought holiday homes then those homes got built by the locals

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

NIMBYS for nuclear…… nah don’t see that happening. Better for someone ( the government, so the taxpayer) to pay 10 times as much for clean wind turbines built beside someone else’s house, just ensure it’s piped to theirs so they can drive their clean cars around town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

No

No,

But if benefits to the local area, lower prices etc then I would change to a Yes. There needs to be payback for an area.

Yes

The people that own the land get paid. I know a couple of farmers more than happy with a steady income in fields that are still available for grazing etc

Why would anyone else get paid for having wind turbines in the area? I have solar panels yet I pay the same rate for electricity that everyone else pays and the electricity I export I get paid peanuts compared to what the companies are selling those units back to me at.

That would be like telling tesco they have to sell items in the shop at reduced prices to the local and another price to everyone else. To take a mad example :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

No

Because they have nuclear power they have power to be exported.

Yes

Poland cost of living is massively below Irelands. So the comparison is incorrect. We are probably close to double the cost of Poland so you are closer to 88.6 billion. I am not sure if that is $ or £ because you seem to mix between them in the post.

The cost of a nuclear plant if you want a good comparison would be UK. I think that is 8GW and is currently sitting at £25-26UKP. Now UK might be a little higher to Ireland but more in line with us. So to get 30GW would cost £94 billion

So based on those quick maths you should be able to get 30GW at 100billion euro using today exchange rate and taking a 90billion UKP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes

It's like saying no one who lives near the M50 should have to pay tolls because of the noise of it, which is extremely loud mind

Yes

That's a lot better example

Thank you

I know how noisy it is, I used to live beside it. F**king thing never closes

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭stringed theory

Why would anyone else get paid for having wind turbines in the area?

Because of loss of property value in a countryside without reliable zoning rules where there is no way of predicting the arrival of giant industrial plant? Unlike in a city where you can buy a house sure in the knowledge that the terrace opposite can't be demolished to construct a factory.

Imagine a nicely restored farmhouse unexpectedly overshadowed by a ten story high moving power station. I know of one such place that was on sale for ten years. I thought of buying it myself. The owners had received some derisory offers, then gave up on selling. As far as I know they are trapped there forever. (And because it can't reasonably be sold there is no statistical evidence of loss of value.)

So maybe compensation is in order for someone losing their life savings so someone else can make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I wouldn't object if the developers were required to remove the turbines within 10 years and it wasn't within 1km of someone's home.

I'd question why they are being facilitated to the extent they are when off shore wind is set to see us exporting power in the relatively near future. Off shore is obviously far better in an Irish context, where we have a really good resource off the west coast. An added bonus is far less intrusion on the landscape. When offshore is developed at Moneypoint, that development on its own will be able to power most houses in the country. https://esb.ie/media-centre-news/press-releases/article/2021/04/09/esb-announces-green-atlantic-@-moneypoint

The current guidelines for land based wind farms are woefully out of date, the Government should have updated them by now, given how prevalent they have become. Updated guidelines are one thing that certainly should be introduced to be fair to communities where they are about to be built. It's an oversight, but it can be put right and it'd make a difference.

Given the lax State approach at the moment it's entirely understandable that people don't want them developed nearby.

This strikes me as yet another great issue for virtue signallers in affluent urban areas, who won't be affected and can sneer at the yokels. That just never stops in Ireland.

Yes

This logic is the basis of most conspiracy theories. Just because you distrust "the media" doesn't mean the opposite of what they say is the truth.

Forgot the bridge in dublin, I've got a global conspiracy to sell you, that only you are smart enough to see through. Just sign up for my substack and listen to my podcast.

• Advertisement

Yes

"I know" then followed by some random story to prove a point, you have to love the internet

So much for "my forever home"

No people shouldn't be paid for having solar or wind beside their homes. Once the construction adheres to planning regulations then it will not reduce the value. What you will find is the person overvalued the house in the first place.

Also if you think cities/town don't have building constructed in them that might devalue a house, then buy a house in a village/town. Might save people ruining the countryside with the awful houses they think are nice but nobody else in the World would ever live in without major renovations

Advertisement