Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you support a windfarm in your area?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 16,274 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No

Well the one they put not too far from where I am around 20 years ago didn't work out too good for the area so not too sure we would want to see another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

No

There already is a giant windfarm in my area. It's ugly as hell, has been environmentally appalling for the area (trucks, dust, noise, bogs decimated, mountains plundered for foundation stone, roads ruined to facilitate cabling)

There are no sweeteners for having them in the area (i.e. no reduced electricity bills, no share in the profit like other European countries)

Most of the electricity going to UK...

All in all, a horrendous experience

Yes

100% yes

This is the way our grid is going and it wouldn't bother me in the least.

I've been to a few places where its not unusual to see these dotted around either solo or pairs or full farms. Just head over to the UK and you'll see loads of instances of them as you drive around the motorway network

As for large scale deployment a la Netherlands, we'll end up going this way eventually anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes

Windfarm across the road from me, no issues.

• Advertisement

No

So you wouldn't mind so long as it's by the motorways. So in effect, you would mind having them near your house.

Btw, the ones in my area are nowhere near a motorway.

Yes

DaCor expresses a distinct view in his first line. Just because OP has a different opinion doesn't mean you can alter what's said by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

No

They have built enough wind farms for now, time to build some solar farms or nuclear instead

Yes

Solar is coming too, I think 5GW by 2025. Every week I see more and more and more businesses announcing they are plastering their roofs with panels. Same for solar farm applications. There will also be a heap rolled out on farm buildings, there's insanely good grants for farmers for this (with conditions). The targets we set for this, we're going to blow through them as solar ramps up.

Onshore wind is projected to double to 9GW by 2030

Offshore wind is projected to hit 7GW by 2030, 30GW by 2050

• Advertisement

Yes

To electrify the economy and via that lower GHG emissions then we'll need about quadruple the present generational capacity of the country.

EV and HP's mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Yes

seems reasonable. angst at the site of windmills seems pretty petty as far as grievances go, ask the Dutch, they have lived with them for years?

No

No strawman, like 99% of climate alarmists you would prefer someone else take the hit on all the "green initiatives"

Yes

The OP's poll is giving the same result as the 'windfarm business' poll. 80% + in favour .

Yes

Not according to my response to your poll 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

No

If they go with 9GW of onshore wind they'll have enough to run everything and saturate every interconnector when its windy but still have to burn loads of gas in the summer.

Solar is picking up. There might be 200-300MW installed now though its hard to tell as no figures from last year when it really started to get popular. It's unlikely they'll have 5GW in by 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Yes

What would be your preferred power source if not a wind farm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Yes

Solar farm going in near me. I couldn't understand the nimby attitude by some locals.

I thought they'd combine it with wind turbines too.

The mis-information spouted is utterly amazing. It always suggests "cancer" and on the solar farm they suggested it could contribute to flooding.

Yep, some people are gullible enough to believe it

Yes

Maybe, planning will come into it for the large scale projects, but from what I seen in planning applications and general news releases, we will blow past 5GW with ease.

Time will tell

Yes

Run a flock of sheep under the panels and have organic lamb also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yes

I voted yes but there is already a couple within a 20/40 mile radius of my locale.

I rather like the aesthetic look of them so no issue with them in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Yes

Why wouldn't you?

Wind and solar is the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Yes

80% of respondents in this thread must work for a 'windfarm business' 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

Yes

Yes I would. Clean energy is a good thing, and I think they look cool.

Yes

The death and health issues related to air pollution will become in ways comparable with smoking. Studies of PM 2.5 now show that.

Electrifying our lives is key.

No

And yet less than 5% support the green party...

Yes

Its almost like supporting environmentally sound strategies doesn't require one to be a member of the GP

Its a revelation!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes

Because I live in a city there's zero chance of large turbines nearby. But there'll be a solar farm going up near work.

When abroad I find wind turbines look prettier than busy smoke stacks. There used to be 9,000 windmills in the Netherlands.

Pole really should include other options because we will need to get power from something and it has to be in place by 2030 because we have emissions targets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes

Solar produces power during peak daily demand for sunny half the year. Wind produces more power in the darker half of the year. They complement each other.

Installing excess capacity is a form of backup as you can power the grid from a lower % output of a higher total installed capacity. You can also import power using earnings gained from exporting it previously. And there's grid scale storage options too.

Our CFD's (contract for difference) run for 10 years by which time the capital costs of wind or solar would have been paid for. By the time you got a nuclear plant build here it would be competing with the marginal costs of wind and solar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

No

R U seriously comparing Dutch traditional windmills to modern giant wind turbines in terms of landscape/ecological impacts??

Advertisement