Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you support a windfarm in your area?

Options

Comments

Yes

Many would say that planning objections are nonsense in general

I wouldn't say that, but many would

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Yes

A great project so which is generating lots of electicity, clean electricity for the next 30 years!!!

More of this the better

Yes

Planning objections in the majority are irrelevant rubbish

The local reject everything and then complain they have no houses etc. The smae people rejecting against the wind farm are probably currently complaining about the cost of living in Ireland.

Do you think they would ever be able to join the dots? no chacne

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yes

My father in law is terrified of power cuts, bought a diesel generator.

But he's dead against wind power & solar power. He's never even been beside a wind turbine, there's none near him... but he will lecture anyone about flicker & noise from turbines and "the glare" from solar farms that cause massive road pileups. I drove him by a huge solar farm on the Dublin/Meath border and he didn't even notice it till I pointed it out to him.

Years ago he was dead against a mobile mast being erected five k from where he lives, now he can't get off the phone. He follows all these Facebook accounts that spread misinformation and swallows it all like it's the gospel. He goes nuts about the weak signal on his phone... There you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

No

Newgrange would be a nice firm foundation for a wind turbine, wouldn't it? I'm sure the two of you would love to see a nice big oil-filled steel structure built on top of it with no objections whatsoever. Newgrange really is just another symbol of humans incursion of nature after all...

• Advertisement

No

The only reason we didn't have power cuts is because we had fossil fuels to fall back on:

Father-in-law: 1

John_rambo: 0

Flicker, noise, increased road congestion and being a general eye-sore are well known disadvantages of living beside a windfarm - his skepticism is well placed:

Father-in-law: 2

If he has a weak signal on his phone then he was dead right to be angry about a mobile mast being erected 5k from where he is as it clearly had no benefit to him:

Father-in-law: 3

Yes

The pictures you took was of a bog and not Newgrange

No point reducing the thread to ridiculous statements now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

No

Naa. You're not getting me on that one.

There's something called Brandolini's law, otherwise known as the bullshit asymmetry principle. Someone comes out with scutter that flew out of their mouth or from their finger tips in seconds. You then spend hours coming up with reasoned, factual responses to prove them wrong. After all that effort you'll probably get a lame 'lol rekt'. The clowns keep on believing the scutter because they were never interested in learning. Dug into their own ignorance and happy to live there.

So you made the initial statement. Back it up. Inform us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yes

What do you mean "fall back on" we rely on fossil fuels, that's the problem! We need more wind & solar power.

"Flicker, noise, increased road congestion and being a general eye-sore" that old 1990s propaganda from the anti wind power lobbyists? Come on, that's done & dusted, wind farms are increasing and will be coming to a place near you.

He was angry about mobile masts being erected but wanted perfect signal on his phone.

Markus Antonius - 0

John Rambo, by unanimous decision with a TKO in round three - 3

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Yes

The OP is a CTer , so lives and breathes ridiculous

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

No

How many Yes voters live in large urban areas where there is no chance of windfarms being erected?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes

If it meant that an area couldn't be build on and would have to be left as fields or recreational instead of yet more houses that attract traffic jams then what's not to like ?

TBH the huge areas of golf courses in the our cities really should have solar or wind installed. It would only be a minor affect on small fraction of the population for short times.

I can see 220KV pylons from my house. So I have very strong opinions on people asking for subsidies for undergrounding of electric cables outside of touristic areas. And other similar subsidies like building platforms offshore instead of having turbines on the horizon.

TBH it might be cheaper to go after the financial records of councillors who granted Section 50's on the assumption that many of then involved brown envelopes. Where there's a whiff of corruption then leave the buildings as is (retention) but don't allow them to be used to deny other infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yes

Yeah, would I prefer a wind turbine to the 4 x 9 story apartment blocks being built 300m from my house? I know my answer.

Yes

There'll be nobody in the nacelle looking into your house every morning😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Yes

Said yes, but in hindsight think we have close to enough on land in many parts of the country.

Two wind farms visable from our kitchen for over 15 years. No issue with them. They're approaching end of life. Hear they're running into problems with planning to repower both with much larger current technology units. Never could figure how they got planning permission in the first place, couple of brown envelopes involved no doubt.

Long passed time to concentrate more on building them offshore.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Yes

Said yes, but in hindsight think we have close to enough on land in many parts of the country.

Two wind farms visable from our kitchen for over 15 years. No issue with them. They're approaching end of life. Hear they're running into problems with planning to repower both with much larger current technology units. Never could figure how they got planning permission in the first place, couple of brown envelopes involved no doubt.

Long passed time to concentrate more on building them offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Yes

I live 500m from a windfarm, I don't even notice it anymore apart from looking at it to see which way the wind is blowing. There are no issues with noise or strobing etc, the NIMBY gang are talking through their ass on that front similar to most of their arguments. They do require a lot of maintenance though due to all the moving parts. There is somebody working on them every week which I presume is fairly normal. I do wonder, however, about how feasible it would be to land skilled seamen on them regularly to do the maintenance, especially on the west coast. I've been on boats all my life and it's no joke trying to land on something like that if there is any bit of swell running. It would be manageable on the east coast but it would be very hard to find skilled staff who would be capable of this kind of thing. Maybe I'm wrong but I suspect it's not as trivial as some seem to think to build and maintain offshore turbines.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,868 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yes

building offshore is very very difficult, takes a long time and is expensive which is way most developers prefer to stay onshore.

• Advertisement

Yes

Sorry if a bit odd topic, yes, should have said offshore wind on the east coast.

Similarly, most my life on boats and ships, mostly offshore/subsea construction, engineering and cables. Your spot on. The various recent draft proposals from the government and all the hype about offshore wind off most of the West coast is fantasy, Yes, it's one of the greatest wind resources in the world but located in one of the harshest maritime environments in the world to attempt to work in. Could it be done? yes, but be challenging and horrendously expensive compared to elsewhere. Then, as you said there's the inspection, maintenance & repair issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

No

No,

But I dont mind if they build them near other peoples houses or in places i dont go to enjoy the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭SeanW

No

"instead of yet more houses" ... because as we all know, Ireland has a great surplus of housing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yes

To be fair there's relatively few houses going to get built where most turbines are placed , there are exceptions of course , including the 4 turbines in the ringaskiddy area

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kloppo

Yes

New wind farm (Ballydermot) between Edenderry and Rathangan. 50 Turbines which would make it the largest in the country. Pictures above show the viewpoint from Edenderry.

Yes

I'm thinking 'turbines are fine but don't put them there' seems a recurring refrain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

They look sh*te to be honest. The random placement makes them look worse. There should be no need to build right next to towns and villages, there's enough wasteland in the country and plenty of opportunity for offshore.

I drove through a wind farm in Indiana. Turbines as far as the eye could see in neat rows and spacing. It was fantastic, and not a house in sight.

Yes

there's enough wasteland in the country

Well thanks to BnM this is essentially wasteland as the bogs have been stripped of all peat and the land is good for f all now

I drove through a wind farm in Indiana. Turbines as far as the eye could see in neat rows and spacing. It was fantastic, and not a house in sight.

Thanks to Irelands planning laws, you'd be hard pushed to drive a 2k stretch on any road and not see a house so that ship has sailed

• Advertisement

Yes

I thought maybe it might be based on the MW of the wind farm, but Ballydermot doesn't have a figure announced (as far as I could find anyway)

Advertisement