Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you support a windfarm in your area?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes

The reserve that wind power needs is the difference between actual and forecasted generation.

But this is already covered by the need to keep 325MW of replacement reserve at all times, the need to keep 5 large generators on at all times for dynamic stability, the need to respond to a 75-80% drop of the largest feed in within 5 seconds. We also have batteries and Turlough Hill and the interconnectors and demand shedding.

If by backup you mean the existing generators then what actually happens is they produce less when there's more wind, saving fuel. We only have enough turbines to produce a third of annual demand so obviously we will need to keep the other generators, for now.

Yes

Might want to check your info. The price of wind has not changed, gas on the other hand, has been a basket case and due to "marginal pricing", its insanity has driven all energy prices through the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Yes

i agreed that your picture showed damage to the bog but as I said which has the bigger environmental affect?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Yes

Where does the profit the private energy companies make go? The likes of airtricity say?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yes

Is there a reason you'd only going to use a wind turbine for 20 years ?

If they're built they can be cost effectively refurbished, although with some of the older smaller turbines there may be a push to replace them with a smaller number of larger turbines ...that will require new larger foundations as well ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Yes

I would say share holders get a part of it, you can buy shares from Airtricity

Yes

I quoted 20 years because that seems to be the standard life cycle. I would expect like most things this is due to parts not been available anymore. Can they be refurbished then I don't know enough but I would hope a lot could be reused

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yes

The tower ,foundations ,roads and planning ,and grid connection ect would all be costs that wouldn't need repeating if it's a refurb

The nacelle itself may be fine , the blades ,drive ,gearbox and generator would probably need refurbishing /replacement

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

No

You would want to educate yourself on the PCAS scheme that involves restoring such bogs via bunding and the ceasing of water pumping etc.. A well established measure to restore such bogs has already been successful in the likes of NI, England and Holland. Places like Boora, Blackditch, Derryadd bogs etc. all now host some of the best wetland habitats left in the country with large flocks of Annex 1 and red listed species like Whooper Swans, Golden Plover etc. present. Yet your type think its green to destroy these sites via industrial windfarm development which will require the ongoing pumping of peat laden silty water into surrounding river and lake catchments which recent EPA reports have shown to be a major water quality issue in such areas. Not to mention downstream flooding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

No

I suggest you read up on the Derrybrein Disaster if you beleive that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yes

The real environmentalists don't want renewable energy sources

Plot twist

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yes

First of all, did you read anything I actually wrote? Bogs, once they hit a certain level of degradation cannot be restored. The spaghnum will never grow back. It's gone forever. Boora isn't a bog. The bog is gone forever. It was utterly destroyed. What happened was that they turned part of it into a wetland and it's now populated with plants and species that aren't native to bogs. A huge chunk was turned into agriculture land and, if I remember correctly, some Sitka. A comparison would be if they burned down a rainforest and turned it into grassland. Sure there's another ecosystem there now, but it's not a rainforest.

That's what they do to bogs that have been destroyed. Most of it is turned into sitka plantations and crappy agricultural land. Occasionally they take a little bit and turn it into wetlands. Partly because of money and partly because a lot of it isn't even suitable for it. I specifically said that if a bog hasn't been badly damaged and can be restored it should be. Any bogs that aren't damaged should be conserved. No drainage, no turf cutting, nothing like that. At this point it should be a crime to cut and burn turf.

At no point have I ever said that we should drain wetlands like Boora and put in windfarms. I want to make that clear. Because you seem to think that I'm suggesting it. I don't know if you just don't read what I'm saying, if you want to believe that's what I'm saying or if maybe you're just trolling for giggles. But please show me exactly where I said we should destroy wetlands. Go on. Because I've never once said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭bmc58

No

I'm well aware of how prices are locked in.But they still took the money gladly.Didn't hear of them giving much back to their customers though.

Yes

The profits will have a levy applied

In addition the latest RESS and future auctions have it built in that excess profits are repaid back to the state

Info on the difference between REFIT & RESS is detailed below

Further info is available here

https://assets.gov.ie/77091/0c8db804-e10c-47c3-8a11-9a45777601fd.pdf

Yes

I did.

You didn't answer the question I raised, it was to another poster but anyway, can you answer as they are hiding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

No

100% No.

Wind energy does not come close to fill the demand.

It's about as useless as solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

No

The Scottish are not happy with how there futures were sold,if these windfarms were as good as the propaganda there wouldn't be a need for state investment and they would fully develop the sites that have planning permission rather than pausing development and looking for other sites, it's a modern day pyramid scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I actually like wind turbines, don’t find them an eyesore at all , don’t get the annoyance about them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yes

Why does it have to fill demand to be useful? Surely every little bit helps (or 34% as of last year)?

And solar really isn't "useless", I've a small rooftop array (and battery) on my house and since start of February, I haven't had to import day units about 90% of the days. Again, solar hasn't "filled" my demand, but it has certainly helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

No

Thats true, it is good as an add on, but they really seem convinced they can go 100% green with energy requirements which is pure head in the clouds thinking.

We need to talk about nuclear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭pauly58

No

At the end of the day, whether you would support a windfarm in your area or not doesn't arise, if a developer wants to build one, then even if your Local County Council refuse permission it will be rubber stamped by ABP. You can fight it in the High Court, as our local residents group did but our views don't count. The board of ABP are political appointees & they are following orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes

Who is convinced we can go 100% green for energy?

Also nuclear never gonna happen in Ireland so its a pointless discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No

Well, pointless discussion with you.

But there are many other citizens who have a view on such matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yes

That would never change without a discussion. Ok, it might still not chance after the discussion but we should be having the discussion. I think a lot of the newer technology that's being discussed like Thorium reactors may actually be beneficial to Ireland. It'd probably be 20 years before a decision is made but it could happen.

Yes

The fact thats its currently not permitted under law to have nuclear power generation in the Republic is one major blockage.

Added to that there is next to zero support in the Dail to remove that bloackage

Next you have to think about where it would be located. Any TD that allowed a nuclear power plant in their constituency would likely be voted out by a landslide. If you think people are resistant to wind turbines, imagine telling a community there'll be a nuke plant 5 km from the local national school and see how you get on

Then you have the cost, which for nuke plants is utterly ridiculous

And the construction timelines, which are measured in decades, not years (except in locations where environmental, employment and safety concerns are ignored)

Plus the fact that you can't build just one due to the issue of sudden shutdowns and/or scheduled maintenance which can result in zero output for up to a year so when you decide to build it, you have to build 3 reactors, 1 running, 1 ready to jump in to take up slack and 1 undergoing maintenance.

Finally, the waste and transportation of fuel/waste would see significant opposition from communities along any route

The many, many, many aspects of the topic have been explored in exceptional detail in the thread linked below

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

No

Maybe it's time for wider public discussion and a referendum on the matter?? Power to the people and all that. Who's afraid of democracy?

Yes

Make that suggestion to your local TD

Or put forward a suggestion for a citizens assembly on it

We've had them on

• Abortion
    • Biodiversity
    • Drug Use
    • Directly elected Mayor for Dublin
    • Gender equality
    • Climate change etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes

no i don't think it is time, zero chance of it happening in our lifetime regardless of a discussion on boards. rural ireland loses its sh*t over wokemills, imagine a nuclear reactor ffs.

you can't even build 10 storey buildings in ireland and people think we can build a nuclear reactor, it's pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

No

I'm not so sure, I think the towers and base have a limited lifespan too as they face huge mechanical stress over the turbine lifetime. I can't find an exact figure for the lifespan of the tower but there are a number of articles on measuring and extending their lifespan.

This shows a system for monitoring stress on towers which shows they are prone to failure.

https://w3.windfair.net/wind-energy/product/844-shm-tower-system-for-vibration-monitoring-and-life-cycle-prognosis

Any article I've read on the lifespan of wind turbines suggests all components need to be recycled at the end of the 25 years or so lifespan.

I've seen some stuff suggesting it might be possible to reuse the concrete bases but that seems to be a developing approach.

Again, I am broadly in favour of wind turbines I think we just need to be careful we don't cause unnecessary damage with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yes

Yeah it depends on a lot of factors, but most of the old turbines had fairly large design margins so despite a design life of 20 years, it can easily be extended to 30+ years. However, the foundations may not be as robust and could need reinforcement to go beyond 20 years.

The other consideration with those older sites/turbines is that they for example are 10 x 1.5MW machines built in 2005. You could do some refurbishment work and get them to 2035 or so. But equally, you could look at taking them down and replace with 3 x 5MW machines which would last until 2055, these 3 turbines could use all the same electrical and civil (bar foundations) infrastructure. Or you might even fit 6 x 5MW turbines, and double your MW, while reducing number of turbine by 40%.

TL;DR, there's no one size fits at solution, but given the leaps in turbine technology in the last 20 years, keeping older machines isn't always the sensible thing.

Advertisement