Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Chess Championship 2023

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

“It is rather curious that she played in the recent IM Norm League as a UKR player and that the FIDE rating of the event has not yet been completed. Presumably she had to complete all her games in that tournament before she could transfer?”

this event was rated some months ago. And would have no impact on a transfer - federation, like titles, is as of the time of the game.

“Don't hold your breath, The ICU took a full 6 months to offer an explanation (contrive IMHO lol) for last years fiasco allowing Mats to play in the senior championship as a non IRL player”

haven't been on the committee for 2 years but I think it may have been discussed here for 6 months before an email went to the relevant ICU officer which was answered pretty promptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

If the reports of the Tournament Director and Women's Officer do not clarify, or maybe even if they do, then questions must be asked at the agm.

In the meantime the ICU website still has photos of the 2023 open champion and 2022 female champion.

On the current issue, the state of play which has been somewhat right and somewhat wrong here is as follows.

While not involved in the event, I was asked for my opinion on Diana Mats entering the event while her transfer was pending.

Essentially, the rule for entry was misprinted in my view and created this undesired consequence. The rule should state something along the lines of “IRL or 2 years residency” rather than “and”. It’s meant to be an inclusive rather than exclusive clause - for a parallel example, this would have kept Conor Murphy from playing the Irish and I think Orla may have also been excluded here. So I said that in my view she should be permitted entry.

I’m not sure if this rule was misprinted prior and just carried forward - or if this is the first instance but I’m sure it’ll be rectified for the next edition. (For the historians, it used to be open to all I think when it was resurrected 15 years ago, then possibly IRL only for a year or two, then IRL or 1 year residency and now IRL or 2 year residency - this was based on player feedback at various times).

I wasn’t asked about my opinion on the title so far as I remember before the event. But I can certainly understand the tournament director’s decision which was communicated before the event started. This player isn’t eligible for the Olympiad team which may be seen as a prerequisite to winning the title; I could equally understand the other side of the equation. IRL is IRL and it’s not written down. If it had happened in the Open event, it would created further issues with the automatic spot which I’ve submitted motions to amend - but I find it a tricky solution so am open to amendments on the day to the suggested wording; I had to write it in haste to get it fixed before the 2024 events.

Changing the champion, while probably in the ICU’s remit, would present other problems - such as not addressing the dynamics and pressures which would be different retroactively. Some may have played for second at a certain point; the winner wouldn’t have felt title pressure etc.

I would just let the ICU make their decision and move on because I do not find it easy either way.

Thanks for the clarification (I don't think I mean obfuscation).

I realise you are trying to explain what happened rather than attempt to give a ruling but I still have three questions:

What was actually said on the day at the prizegiving?

Was Antonina declared the champion?

Who wrote the Facebook post?

• Advertisement

Wasn’t there.

Yes.

Nandita runs the Facebook page and was the organiser. So I’d guess her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Any chance that the starting times for the Irish Seniors Ch could be posted somewhere? Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places but I don't see them anywhere.

Agreed but will probably mirror the details announced for the Dublin Seniors (19 March-1 April) at https://www.icu.ie/events/1742

I think somebody should start a new thread for these New Year and Easter festivals that the ICU just announced?

It seems the ICU are no longer running the all-play-all norm tournaments, maybe due to lack of demand or players having other opportunities.

Correction to typo: 29 March not 19 March.

On the latter - lack of a willing organiser. Its incredibly demanding.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reminder - they're added now to the site. For reference: Round 1: 6.30pm, Rounds 2-3: 10am, 3pm Rounds 4-5: 10am, 3pm Rounds 6-7: 10am, 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6 persiandrunkard

The new year international open is running over 4 days - on the calendar it says Jan 3-7

so is it meant to be Jan 3-6 or Jan 4-7 ?

Wouldn't mind getting the accommodation booked as early as possible.

Cheers.

I could pretend that this was a typo.. but I literally booked 5 days rather than 4. Thank you for flagging, I will amend dates. It will be the 4th-7th (and the Leinster Juniors is 3rd-6th)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 persiandrunkard

No worries - thanks for clarifying.

Cheers

I see there is a proposal for the AGM to lower the rating floor for the Irish Ch to 1800 ICU, as I predicted long ago once the 1900 floor got messed about with it would be all downhill after that. Might as well just make it an open now and let everyone play, I'm just glad that I got out before the whole thing decsended into the farce that it will soon become.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

You can't really stop people putting motions forward. I don't really agree with it (and I'd potentially benefit), but it's a democracy. Just turn up and vote against it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Well if you waive your right to vote, you waive your right to complain if it gets passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

I'm not sure I follow this. The 1900 rating floor was messed with fairly seriously starting in 2014, with massive numbers of exceptions listed, and in one or two later championships the rating floor was lowered to 1800, still with the same exceptions. But we're now back to 1900, with minimal exceptions. We're at (or near) the top of the hill, aren't we?

Let's see what happens with this motion. I plan to participate, and I'll be voting no.

• Advertisement

I will listen to the arguments and exceptions put forward on the day and decide then.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

It is also possible (though strictly optional, of course) for arguments for (and against) to be posted to the ICU AGM thread here in advance of the day itself. There generally isn't much time on the day for discussions. Often it is helpful all round to understand the reasons why the vote goes the way it does. For example, if a motion fails, it is helpful to know whether attendees were mildly sympathetic but felt the wording wasn't right, or were adamantly opposed.

Advertisement