Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical weight loss solution to obesity - any experiences?

Options
  • 06-02-2023 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hello

I was interested to find out if anyone on here has experience with the new medical weight loss - where you get the monthly injection. It seems radical but after years of struggling I’m wondering if that might be a solution but would be nervous about it

any experiences ?

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If it's semaglutide i didn't know it had been licensed here yet. Apparently long term benefits are rare, as old eating habits recurred after the treatment ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you don’t address the underlying cause, this sounds like a shortcut back to square 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 adelemcgovern

Having undergone bereavement counselling and being diagnosed with an eating disorder, I was prescribed Ozempic.

I've been on it for a year and have lost over 3 stone. It's not a quick fix. You have to put in the work and completely change your eating habits.

I would say counselling is very much needed before starting on it. Sort your head out first and then you can work on the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Leilak

i got a gastric sleeve as i had alot of weight to lose, I wouldnt recommend it, feel worse since having it 2 years ago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Semaglutide is Ozempic here. My mother's best friend has been on it since last summer (so about 8-9 months at this stage) and she's always been overweight for as long as I've known her. Last time I saw her she was telling me she'd lost 25kg using it and it showed too.

She didn't mention any side effects or negative aspects, but I didn't really ask. It's not actually used primarily for weight loss, it's a diabetes drug and weight loss is just a secondary effect.

• Advertisement

I am on semaglutide (Ozempic) 1mg injection weekly, but it is for Type 2 diabetes. I'm on it about a year.

It has worked well in reducing my blood sugar levels, but I haven't noticed any substantial weight loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Had a sleeve done a few years ago lost more weight dieting pre op than after op, going into uchg tomorrow think I'm going to be put on the Ozempic or Wegovy fingers crossed it works

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Stretch1432

Hi how do you get ozempic or wegovy ?? I tried it before when i was overseas and i lost a lot of weight . Do you get your doctor to prescribe it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sunshine2018

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Regular long walks, no alcohol, no smoking, simple healthy foods and occasional rewards, walk instead of car, regular sleep patterns, stretching, some therapy if you need it, turn off social media, stop beating yourself up or comparing yourself to others. Make time for yourself.

Much easier said than done, but it need not be stressful or unenjoyable. And you don't need to do everything at once.

Before drugs or surgery. And even then you'll still need to look after yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 MickyBest

Oh no, not weight-loss medicine.ЭIt's It's more dangerous to your health than you think. 

Without a drastic change in your diet, it's hard to make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

What's the current cost of Ozempic in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Germaldi

@Waternotsoda My Dad was put on this for his type 2 diabetes, initially 25mg then later 50mg, WARNING BIG WARNING it will cause memory loss, and cognitive decline, if you notice a family members on this stuff start to lack concentration and forget stuff, and are on Ozempic please please advise their GP of this. I saw a massive decline in my Dad's memory and ability to concentrate until i intervened and begged his GP to review the prescription i provided detailed video's of my dad having these episodes of confusion and memory loss, since then my GP took my dad down to a much much lower dosage and my dad's health both physically and mentally has drastically improved, he can remember stuff again, he can concentrate but his weight loss has slowed a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Germaldi

the main point of Ozempic is to kill your food appetite but in too high a dosage it actually puts you in malnutrition and you lose the ability to absorb important vitamins and minerals, particularly B vitamins this has a massive impact on mental health, ability to sleep and ability to poop regularly. That weightless "Miracle" can leave you with symptoms resembling Dementia AND NOONE KNOWS YET THE LONG TERM EFFECTS OF IT, so avoid if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭riddles

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note

OP - speak to a doctor.

No medical advice allowed

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement