Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2023 Irish EV Sales

Options
  • 02-02-2023 10:01am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Strong start to the year by Hyundai, overall car sales are up 9.39% on last year with a 36.5% increase in EV Sales. BEVs were 13.46% of sales for Jan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,958 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

What's up with Tesla? Delivery backlog, or are they still only shipping cars every 3 months?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Delivery not due until early March. I wonder about the one Model 3 that was registered in Jan and how that came about.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Exactly, Tesla don't make an effort to deliver for our new reg plates. I think it's usually Feb/March and Sep when they do deliveries. You'll hear claims that's it due to pushing for end of quarter sales but I think they're just aligning with UK reg plates.

Ah okay, I thought the quarterly deliveries were done away with since Giga Berlin was up and running

Not exactly a brilliant start to the year for VW group, sales pretty much static on last year for the overall MEB cars

Some cars going up, others going down in sales

I'm guessing they're maxed out on what they can supply at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Tesla shipping from Shanghai to Irish market. Not sure with increased demand whether this will change in time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They're still upgrading factories at the moment, next one is Wolfsburg which should start doing ID.3 Facelifts sometime this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭innrain

You can compare the trends here. It seems they push for those quarters virtually in all countries (data is not 100% accurate but nice website nevertheless).

https://eu-evs.com/brandCharts/TESLA/ALL/YoY-Chart

Well they've got 3 now, Zwickau, Emden and Hannover. Admittedly the last two are shared production with ICE cars, and Hannover is only making the Buzz

Of course they're making cars for all of Europe, so maybe it isn't a supply issue so much as the allocation for Ireland has been maxed out for now

EDIT: I looked up @innrain's charts for VW and it looks like volumes have been steadily going up for the last year and biggest quarter ever was Q3 2022

https://eu-evs.com/brandCharts/VOLKSWAGEN/ALL/Volumes-Quarterly

• Registered Users Posts: 27,864 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ioniq 5 is the 10th best selling car so far this year.

Meant to be a lot of deliveries in February as well so could be still the top selling EV next month.

Very poor numbers from Toyota for the BZ considering the postponement of deliveries last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

10th best selling car is good, yet 10th best selling EV is poor, very little difference between 6th place and 10th and even all the way down to the 20th somethings

I think the figures overall are disappointing, petrol and diesel numbers are up, should they not be going down?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

26 ID.3 versus 104 Cupra born. !

ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

For now, I think Berlin is only making Left-hand drive Model Y.

I'm sure that will change in the future, though, just probably not for the next few quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

My take on this is that it is difficult to take anything from these lists at the moment as in general terms, supply cannot meet demand.

I am not surprised to see Hyundai off to a good start to the year - they have some good products and back in December their forecourts were full of EVs awaiting early Jan delivery.

Others cannot get enough EVs into the country to meet the customer demand and would have really good figures if they had enough supply (MG are likely to be in this basket)

VW ID3 - not surprised on poor results. There are lots of other better options for the same money - Cupra, Hyundai and MG will take customers away from them.

When the next ship-load of Teslas land, the rankings will change again, especially with the recent price drop across their 3 and Y range...

Taycan is a major win for Porsche - landing customers that were probably never on their radar before. Same can be said for MG..

We are probably a couple of years away from seeing exactly where the new-buy EV market lies with the general buyer (as opposed to us early/mid adopters)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I would say that those who might have wanted a BEV or even PHEV were knocked back so much by waiting for very long delivery dates were told "If you take a Petrol/Diesel you will have it quicker" so possibly they decided to have a car sooner than later. I'd also believe that the fact that deliveries on most cars were delayed production that these "sales" are really delayed deliveries so unlike previous years they're not spread out as much as they would have been.

I waited 10 months on a Diesel and was told they cannot even tell me a year it might be built so cancelled it, tried to order a PHEV, told they're not taking orders, ordered another PHEV(delivery maybe April) but was phoned a few times with options to take a petrol, mild hybrid or even a Diesel if I want it within a matter of days. This is over a span of maybe 18 months. Last phone call was last week from my Hyundai dealer saying "If I take the car in Petrol and in white I can have it within 3 days or continue to wait for a PHEV in black".

Bit of an odd one alright, maybe a bunch of company cars getting registered? Or perhaps dealerships had some stock they were looking to get rid of and were offering deals?

I'd say there's also a bunch of folks on PCP who were going to trade in for an EV but with supply issues, price hikes and interest rates going up they're deciding to kick the can down the road another couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Looking at the numbers it looks like BMW have really jumped in EV volumes. 40% of their cars shipped in January were EVs. Driven by the I4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭creedp

Lucky for them that ICEs can still be bought, otherwise the used car market would be under even further pressure. Really need to see ramp up in EV supply over next coupe of years

it comes from the PHEVs as they've seen the highest drop in sales. The biggest looser is Tucson with 33%. It is either availability either people realized it is too expensive for the "savings" so better get a diesel. Also the overall sales is up 9% so basically 9% YOY as it is for diesel means constant. To be noted that ICE buyers are of more traditional type chasing the 231 reg while the EV ones will mostly get the car when it is available.

Aiyra sales disappoints being even behind Taycan. CHAdeMO is at 4.4% market share. less than 1 in 20

• Advertisement

I was just looking at the Tucson stats

2023 2022

Diesel 925 834 10.91%

(Hybrid) 510 524 −2.67%

phev 302 456 −33.77%

37 k for a diesel, 40 k for the hybrid and 43.5 k for the phev, in fairness if you wanted an automatic the hybrid or phev would be great value compared to the diesel automatic at 47 k

The vrt bands/motor tax, need to be adjusted more

Why should any one purchase anything other than a diesel at those prices.

How much of the hybrid market for the Tuscon has been canibalised by the Ioniq 5. They are a similar class of car. It might not be that obvious in 1 month of stats due to availability issues of the electric, but a longer term analysis over 6 months should tell alot

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I bought the exec plus PHEV Tucson. Was offered a diesel and petrol since ordering , offered an NLine Phev as well, would have been in it by now but I'm still waiting. So for price I will be paying a LOT more than comfort plus manual buyers but hey go, it's what I want.

2,219   EVs registered in February 16.86% market share. Id.4 is back on top as is VW for manufactures

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Thats a strong start for VW.

Tesla deliveries in March - hard to know if they will sell more than 650 to take the top spot by the end of March...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think they will. Everyone seems to have one in order.

Its hardly the top spot if they only ship more than 650 in March. If Tesla only have 2 deliveries to Ireland in the year, March and September while the others are shipping throughout the year then Tesla will need to outsell the cumulative of the previous months to truly claim top spot.

The good old leaf is still doing well.

One of the few EVs for under €30k, and if you're not planning to go over 200km in a day then it's an easy winner

• Advertisement

Yeah it's hard to argue against the value of a Tesla after the latest price drops

Advertisement