Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HVO100 diesel fuel.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'd love to give this a go (I've the Certa Liffey Valley beside me).

Dacia Duster 2015, would be fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Birka

I don't think that anyone can give you a definite answer. Officially, Dacia approved use of HVO for engines from March 2020 or October 2020 depending on the model. In reality, manufacturers have to spend money testing and approving fuels and so they tend not to do that for older models. Peugeot have approved HVO100 for all models since 2011 as have Citroen (same engines and owner), Volvo haven't bothered to approve the pre-2015 cars and VW group are late to the game with approval in 2021.

You could experiment with a 50% mix and see how you get on. My car's not approved for it and runs very happily on it pure HVO100 with no issues (5,000 km so far). I don't think that @mikeecho 's car is approved either but he's had no issues either.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

HVO should be totally safe for use in regular diesels.

I am now running it in my 3.0D bmw Euro6.

HVO has higher lubricity, 40% less smoke, Cetane number is at 70+ while regular diesel even premium is at 51-55max

My car runs super smooth, zero smoke and I have full downpipe with 200cell sports cat, no dpf.

If you research tech specs and testing online, difference to conventional diesel is huge. I don’t see any negative effect that HVO would have considering all its specs supersede regular diesel fuels

• Registered Users Posts: 41 colml cule

Does it give any reduction in particulate matter produced by the engine?

If it did, and it meant a long term reduction in DPF problems, older vehicles could stay on the roads for longer and that could only be good for the environment in my mind.

Anywhere in the midlands or Galway I can buy HVO?

• Advertisement

Sweeney Oil on the Headford Road have a retail HVO pump. Circle K have a pump in Carlow and Cashel but they're at the truck pumps. No issue using them though.

Studies show a soot and PM reduction so it can only be good for your EGR and DPF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

Disappointing that VW only approve this for use in very recent engines, particularly after dieselgate.

I frequently pass by Ballymount Certa so could run my Transporter (2013) off HVO 90% of the time once Certa stock it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭mikeecho

HVO100 is approved to meet standards set out in EN15940, which is the industry standard for the suitability of fuel for use in diesel vehicles

There you go.

You're good to go to fill up with HVO

90% less soot.. cos it has a more complete burn.

I've 250k on my dpf, and I'm using hvo in order to prolong it's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 diosfoley

Hi All, really want to start using hvo as now same price as diesel in certa liffey valley. I have a Mercedes eclass 2010 tdi. I rang everybody to check about compatability and nobody wanted to know I.e. aa, Mercedes, certa (check with MB). Appreciate any further info on your experiences with similar car. Thanks a million.

• Advertisement

Hi All, really want to start using hvo also as now same price as diesel in certa liffey valley. I have a Mercedes eclass 2010 tdi. I rang everybody to check about compatability and nobody wanted to know I.e. aa, Mercedes, certa (check with MB). Appreciate any further info on your experiences with similar car. Thanks a million.

It's fine.

If you've any doubts, start with a 50:50 mix.

But it'll be fine.

It's designed for diesel engines, why else would they be selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pretty sure I saw it in Galway city around the docks, think it’s Circle K.

I've been using 50:50 in my 2015 Duster. Noticed about a 10% increase in fuel consumption (same on two fills). Will try a higher amount next time and see does it indeed get worse

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is there a diff in energy density?

Thanks interestingly I found this.

https://www.neste.be/en/renewable-diesel-hvo/product-information/product-information/oem-approvals

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Great I can put it in my mini digger. Really think all small power tools should use rechargeable batteries rather than little petrol engines also.

From: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S001623612201907X

In contrast to fossil diesel, HVO has higher hydrogen content and slightly higher energy per unit mass; however, it has slightly lower energy per unit volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Got some today out of curiosity. €1.89 a litre. Car is still working.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,352 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Just saw an ad for this online from certa. They say it's a direct replacement for diesel if you want, and it's now price matched to their diesel price. I'm close to the certa in Cork that has this apparently, I have a 2013 volvo s60. For people who have used this, is there any noticeable benefits? Or is it just better for the environment a little?

• Advertisement

You will definitely notice more consumption unfortunately. Around 10% or so because it burns better so uses more basically

I've been using it almost a year now, and there's no noticeable difference in fuel consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 liddybelle

Ive been using HVO in my 2009 ford Kuga for a few months. I fill at circle k J5 on the M9. I havent had any issues but a mechanic friend of my dads said it would wreck my engine because its an older model . Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Can you pls underpin the 10%, especially when you say it burns better.

The comparison depends on the difference in the calorific values so what figures are you using?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jarren12

My previous diesel from CK was giving me 850 - 900km per tank, it's now around 800-850 mark.

I don't mince losing some Mpg there simply because

car is defo much livier, smoother acceleration,starts quicker in the morning.

Very happy with HVO so far.

I'm using a full tank as measurement. Normally got me 600kms. Using HVO purely, I was getting 550 from a full tank. This was 5-6 tanks, so unless the ECU was still over burning thinking it was normal fuel, I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Your car wash designed to run with plain diesel, cetane numbers etc won't do diddly for you, especially in ireland, surely this is placebo

Small drop off in mpg for me

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The best thing about HVO is you have an older or less cared for Diesel and its coming up for NCT, run HVO for a few fills ahead of and during the NCT and it will fly the emissions test and cause you no problems on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Mad_Lad

I've read this thread from start to finish, good reading and I am happy to learn that it's compatible with existing diesels, this is great news and no reason for an ICE ban.

I'll be interested to try HVO100 in the Outlander 2.2 diesel, it's her car but it's off the road a few weeks now due to clutch as it's impossible to find a Mechanic that isn't flat out for weeks.

There's Efuels too but not sure when and if these will be available, they are synthetic and made from Co2 that can be extracted from the atmosphere or from industry along with Hydrogen, they are a direct replacement for both Petrol and diesel, home heating etc.

HVO100 is a good alternative to diesel for sure and means there should be no ICE ban which probably infuriates the Greens as they seem to be anti car in general.

I can't understand why HVO100 is taxed so much though surely the Government should see the benefits but that brings me back to the Government being anti car.

I drive EV and it costs me half what it costs to run a diesel that averages 5.5 L/100 kms but it was a lot cheaper before all the electricity hikes. I could install solar PV and make this cheaper again. But the cost of the cars is high and the interiors are not always good and mine has touch screen and endless menus it's an Ergonomic nightmare, it drives me nuts but if I were to change I don't think I'd buy another EV as we still need the diesel to go many places where the recharge infrastructure is crap.

My PCP is up in October and not sure what to do. I'll have 18 K to pay off and like the last time probably no equity in the car as they always want to give you nothing for the car when you trade it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

I'm still running HVO100 in my classic Mercedes diesel. Have been since last July and am now running HVO100 in a family VW Passat from 2003 with no issues. We started with a 50/50 mix and worked our way to 100% with no issues. HVO100 has a higher viscous level than diesel and can affect SOME high pressure injection systems. It also has a higher Cetane rating than diesel making it burn more completely. I have noticed a slight increase in consumption, running smoother and no smoke! Pity its a little more expensive!

Advertisement