Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Elimination Chamber 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,837 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yup, all absolutely top notch stuff... even how much Roman brought Sami's family into the story at ringside. All Roman's little beats, his expressions and snippets of dialogue all kicked the tension up an extra notch.

Between the build over the past few months, and the way the match itself built, it would've been one of the greatest ever climaxes if they just gave him his moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Right decision in the main event but the finish was very deflating.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Officer999

Roman vs Cody will be great, but I really felt last night was a a special moment that WWE missed a trick on.

It just felt the right moment to crown Sami. Everything had come together. I’m still bitterly disappointed.

Sami/KO vs the Usos just feels like a letdown

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sami should have won, I hope he can get into Cody's main event, he deserves better than the tag titles

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yeah, man that ending was such a downer, and I thought the KO rescue at the end didn't really hit home the way they'd probably hoped. You could feel the entire crowd just deflate entirely, cause they didn't want to see Sami standing tall, they wanted him holding the belts.

I do know that, in the long run, Cody is a better babyface to de-crown Roman. The type who can be champion at the top for months, and be the guy you build your company around. He won't suffer from last night. Quite the opposite, I think in the long run, we'll be able to acknowledge that it was the right move.

But damn it, it felt like, in the moment, that was the chance to create a moment that would live for ages. Vibes of Eddie beating Brock. I don't think he'd have been a long term champ. But it felt like that was Sami's moment, and I don't think he'll ever get that close to that moment again.

Him and KO winning the tag titles will be a great moment. Jay turning on Roman will be a great moment, post-Mania too.

But last night felt like there was a chance to do something really, really special. And it's gone now. THAT was the peak of the mountain, and although Cody winning the belts won't be far down the other side, it won't be that peak either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Great event last night. All the right winners and that Becky and Seth ad was interesting. I’d have loved for Sami to win but Cody vs Roman is the right match to main event mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Deflating is the right word. It would have been such an epic moment to let Sami win it. Even if they took it off him quickly. The crowd didn't even have the energy to boo, they were just gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Found it funny how the ref was on the way to the ring while Jimmy was attacking Sami, yet no DQ or even sending Jimmy to the back.

The crowd reaction to Roman wasn't very PG.

Good to see them doing the movie parodies again. I thought they were going to just keep showing the old ones.

Can't remember if it was the same during the women's match, but the eliminations became predictable in the men's. Like Gargano would be on a roll, then eliminated, then same with Priest and Montez. The hurricarana off the pod was cool. Would've been so easy for Seth to miss the edge of the pod when getting into position, when you could see he kept adjusting his feet.

Does Logan Paul have a name for his Buckshot Lariat?

Liv seems to be up for anything with regards what she does in her matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ThePott

Thought it was generally a strong show.

Asuka winning was the best choice against Bianca, although I feel like they need to start building some of the other women up more. Liv and Nikki have the crowds behind them so would be great calls. Asuka is fantastic and could definitely see her dethroning Bianca but they need some new blood too, Asuka is always a go-to when they won't pick a horsewomen, she's won the Rumble, MITB and now the chamber. Still decent match and happy with the result.

Brock/Lashley. Meh, okay match with piss poor ending. Not sure why they tease Bray if this was the end result. Not that I want either of them in a Wyatt feud really. Mixed tag was way better than expected, I usually don't fancy them at all. Thing they did as well as they could with the booking, they're in a tough spot trying to protect Rhea while giving Edge/Beth their win back. Wonder what they'll all be doing for Mania.

Men's chamber was excellent. So much 'new talent' had a chance to shine too, Bronson Reed looked a beast. Gargano actually looked decent, he's floundering a bit lately on main roster so give him something. Montez continues to be a ready to go singles star whenever he's needed. That being said the ending was cheap, I know they wanted Seth to have a reason to lose but made the whole thing feel like a waste. I feel like a lot of the roster are getting left off Mania this year cause I reckon Cena is coming back for a match with Theory.

Main Event. First off, amazing match, started slow but was invested by the end. Those near falls really got me. Some predictable ref bumps and Uso interference although I did like the Jey spear as opposed to him picking sides, think that is what will keep people invested in the Bloodline, what will Jey do. They had me believing Sami might actually win when I knew it was unlikely.

While going into it I thought Cody needed his moment too, I definitely feel like maybe Sami should have won. They'll never have this chance again. No matter what the crowd (Montreal) or the fans will be as invested in Sami beating Roman as they were last night. The timing is incredibly awkward with Cody returning while Sami caught fire and Mania being so close so I understand it but, even if Sami does win the gold now or beat Roman it won't be as special, whether at Mania or not. This might even be the peak of the Bloodline story and trying to capitalise on it later just won't work. We'll see though. I still think the story last night was well told and a interested in seeing what Sami does and how things go with Kevin Owens and Jey.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Feel Cody is going too win at mania and that's how they will split the titles. Cody will take the WWE Championship on Raw and the Universal Title will go too SD

What they do with Roman post title will be very interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Why would he give up the raw title?

Incredible main event, l really wanted Sami to win but that's fine, the fact that WWE has potentially fallen ass backwards into having 4 new genuine Main eventers (Sami, KO, Cody and Jey) through the insane idea of trusting their workers is amazing.

Triple H still can't book a Babyface but I'm happy to follow the journey.

I don't mind Cody. I think he's a good addition but, and maybe this is because I don't watch WWE as much as I used to, I'm not sure why he's apparently now the chosen one as the one to beat Roman and nobody is questioning the idea. Though I guess there aren't that many genuine alternatives that jump out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Booking baby faces seems to be an issue in wrestling in general these days.

AEW can’t seem to book a baby face to save their lives. Adam Page, Ricky Starks, Wardlow all had great promise and massive cooled off since.

Heels are easier to book long term. Look at heel reigns versus super good guy face reigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,073 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I’ve been largely plugged out for a couple of years, but have kept a keen eye since Sami was inserted into the Bloodline story.

That booking decision on Saturday was the stupidest thing they could’ve done, bar squashing him.

Sometimes you just have to give the guy who is hot at the time the title.  It’s just how it is.  You can have Roman beat him again in a week or 2 if you simply must have Roman v Cody.  But on that night, in front of that crowd, no matter how generational Roman has proved to be, Sami simply has to win.  It’s utterly moronic not to.

You can’t even row back now.  It’s not like they can realise their mistake and have Sami get a rematch and beat Roman on RAW or something.  You’re never going to have that set of circumstances on that night, in front of that crowd again.  They’ve fucked up another of these opportune moments in time, just because your top guy has to be fed.  It’s the third one I can remember in ‘modern times’.

Cena beating Lesnar in Brock’s first match back, when you could have printed money for at least a year on the story … “Can anyone beat Brock?”

Roman beating Drew in Cardiff.  Morons.

And now this one - Roman over Sami in Montreal.

If Cody is going to be a star, he doesn’t need to beat a 3 year undefeated Reigns - it’s not necessary, and the idea that it is is nonsense.

Post edited by SlickRic on

also, why the fúck did Kevin Owens only come out after Sami had been outnumbered and pinned emphatically?

again, morons.

and no Hunter, you don't fix it by simply letting Sami get a visual pin (everyone gets one), and letting Sami stand tall after the title is gone. fans aren't that **** dumb.

The KO thing I can kind of understand in that he's not particularly fond of Sami at the moment either. But he doesn’t want him to get badly hurt at the same time because of their history. Definitely such a disappointment of an ending though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

After a couple of months as tag champs post mania... Sami to win MITB!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The main problem is after so long as champ, a transitional champion wouldn't feel right. Like whoever takes the title off him would have to be able to hold it for a while as well. Then need to figure out what to do with Roman after so long as champ.

• Advertisement

nothing wrong with a transitional champion after a long run.

I'm just about old enough to remember Sheik beating Backlund after a long run, being champion for a short time, and then Hogan got the belt.

that didn't work out too shabbily.

I'm sure there are others.

Foley was never champion for very long either, and I think was the transitional guy from Austin to HHH.

Sami had to win.

and by the way, they fúcked up the setting up of the Usos v Zayn/Owens. they needed to do something where every bit of animosity towards Roman over Sami transferred to the Usos. IMO, Jey should've turned on Sami, and that be why Roman won. WWE is risking the crowd turning on Cody, but we'll see.

Post edited by SlickRic on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I've actually got doubts that Sami/KO will be against the Usos for the tag belts at Mania now. It's still the most likely outcome but I'm not sure what they're planning with Jey given his refusal to assist Reigns.

It will be rather weak if all it takes is Sami accidentally spearing Jey to change his mind and get back on board with the Bloodline.

At the time it was brilliant because the very obvious thing people expected was Jey to cost Sami but in the longer term I'm not sure where they go with it. Jey simply falling back in line doesn't fit anymore.

Ultimately, Jey has to face Reigns to pretty much end the storyline. I'd bet good money that's earmarked for SummerSlam, with Reigns taking plenty of time off before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ThePott

KO not coming out was definitely explained and people complain about lack of storytelling then.

Sami has shrugged off everything Kevin has tried to for him the last few months. Zayn really only got fully accepted by the Bloodline after beating down Owens at Wargames this year. After Wargames Owens literally came out and said that he was done with him. Even though he still tried to convince his friend that eventually the Bloodline would turn on him, Zayn has even cost him wins against the Bloodline. It was only at the Rumble that he did anything but even still, he didn't exactly save Owens, he just didn't hit him with the chair himself. Sami is starting to see that Owens was right but KO still hasn't forgiven Sami, he simply returned the favour. That look at the end for me was Sami being both disappointed that he lost but also looking to Kevin and realising that he was right all along. That's my read on it.

As for the result, I'm still not sure. I do think ending a 900 day reign on Elimination Chamber of all things would be a possible mistake. I'm curious to see what happens next but really as I said before the PPV, they put themselves in an unwinnable situation I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Only my two cents but Sami had zero chance of being booked to go over.

Sami is over with fans however to use the cliché comment 'wrestling is a cosmetic industry' and that's no truer than who wwe position as the person who represents the company. If Sami walked in to EC with a body like Bautista am sure the finish would have been different. So much so in fact, I doubt the match would have been at EC but WrestleMania in that case.

That said, am sure Sami will win the title at some point this year. But my money would be on him being a caretaker champ for someone.

Rightly or wrongly wwe have always been very specific with who they position as the guy. It appears Cody is to be that guy next.

If I were in Sami's shoes I would be hitting the gym like a mo fo. Walking in to next year's mania looking like a bodybuilder.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I don’t see Sami ever bring champ to be honest. Once he wins the tag team titles he will be stuck in midcard hell again.

the tag team titles are just props and hold no credibility value no matter the strength of the story going into the tag match.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Officer999

Yep, I agree. That’s what made Saturday night so disappointing.

Most people know Sami will never be the world champion.

You could tell from Sami at the press conference after the event that he knew too. He knew that was the moment. He was crushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I have zero interest in Cody. None.

I find him so bloody dull.

• Advertisement

I don't think this is even arguable. He's horrifically boring.

But he looks good, is great at media, and can work a good match.

So he's the next guy to be the face of the company.

Advertisement