Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,850 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This is delicious. After years of cead mile failte/best in class at welcoming huddled masses, pointing and tut tutting the uk, our wigs and gowns are slow mo scrambling to put emergency legislation together. Basically slamming the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Add to that the actual surprise that the uk is dismissive of our concerns and basically does not give a fk. Shock horror indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

The Tories are playing us like absolute fools. They'll keep sending the 3rd world our way if France don't stop the boats full of them. We are going to get absolutely swamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭bloopy

If the UK are successful in "encouraging" people to leave the UK, than all these arguments about what we should, or should not, do will not matter a jot.

It's a giant game of pass the parcel and we are currently holding the package. Every one else is walking away from the game and we have no one to hand it over to.

Whatever semblance of an asylum system we have left will not survive if numbers increase over the next couple of weeks.

This is potentially very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,663 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Northernlily

If we get swamped with numbers over the next few weeks I think there's a real possibility you would never see a first world countries systems of Govt fall asunder so quickly.

It will be absolute chaos. We are too small a population. Roderic O'Gorman is noticeably absent recently. I'd like to hear what he makes of the recent developments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

How would blaming DA on the increase in AS help Harris? That's his area of control. So he'd be saying he's at fault for the numbers.

Hes blaming the NI border. Or lack of. The thing we as a country fought to actually have. So he's giving himself and the government a get out of a jail.

Essentially saying it's the big bad brits lads, we'll do our best to stand up to them but we ultimately want to keep the NI border open so ya know, what can you do like shruggs shoulders*

When in reality it has nothing to do with Rwanda bills or Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭bigroad

what sort of numbers are we looking at .Maybe 50 k in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭baldbear

Reckon about 20k. And we can't do anything about it. We have a government who have the soft kid gloves on when it comes to immigration. Voluntary deportation orders, numerous appeals. NGOs bringing court cases. Time to start buying old buildings down the country in neglected towns and make a killing off the governments failures. €€€€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

What are the current numbers arriving at the moment? Not including Ukranians.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Can we just send McDowell with her to plead our case. I know he is an independent Senator and all but that shouldn't curtail him from representing the State's interests abroad? The Tories would definitely sit up and take him seriously compared to McEntee.

It's turning into a national crisis at this stage and the Brits are having a great laugh at our expense. The Government parties must be getting loads of flak at the doorsteps as their rhetoric concerning immigration has changed drastically but it's purely academic if their words are not followed up by swift decisions and action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Damien360

there are no politicians coming to doors of homes. If they had, they might have understood the anger many months ago. We already have had 3 local councillors post “sorry I missed you” letters in the door. Someone was in the house, nobody called.

Fianna Fail and Labour were around here (Dublin 15) last week and calling at doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭thomas 123

whatever about mcDowell at the very least send Martin for the love of god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭tom23

They can send Thanos, won't make a blind bit of difference. We are screwed in the short-term. Fine Gael will be delighted to get out of Government by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’d like to see our government call out France and their laissez-faire attitude.

And then last week just off the French coastline the French coastguard, after picking up the dead and injured, let the boat carry on its journey because the migrants didn’t want to get off!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭pauly58

I don't believe this nice round figure of 80% coming from NI for one minute, it's a figure plucked out of the air. I would have thought from the numbers arriving at Dublin airport with no passports or ID that would be the largest figure.

As a previous poster said, start our own scheme to deport them to Rwanda, that will do the trick. Harris' idea of emergency legislation is just infantile, a complete non runner, if the UK won't accept them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭baldbear

Ill

No sure. I will listen to Pat Kenny and see does he have any figures later on. The 1st 4 months last year it was 2000 with no documents/destroyed documents. So I'd imagine the figure is significantly greater now. Joe O'Brien said too we have to take the international applicants at face value which made me laugh. Hardly sounds like a deterrent.

McEntee said "over 80%" say they came across the border, when presenting at IPA in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭combat14

exactly:

flee to nearest safe point = asylum seeker

relocate to golden land of free hotel accommodation and opportunities = illegal economic migrant

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Never happen… we're good little Europeans here!

What this latest development demonstrates - once again! - is just how LITTLE influence we actually have on anything important at European level.

I don't blame the UK one bit to be honest… this is one of the reasons why Brexit passed and they are just as entitled to protect their borders as we should be doing. As I said last night, like us they are an island and don't want to be a dumping ground for any randomer with a sad story, no more than we do.

It's our "friends" in Europe that are facilitating this situation through lax controls on their side but just as with the Financial Crisis, just as with Brexit, we are now being used as a pawn between the bigger players and because we have the likes of McEntee and Harris, supported by an army of overpaid civil servants, I wouldn't hold my breath on our belated "hang on a minute!" reaction getting much support.

This is what happens when you throw away your sovereignty for a pat on the head from your "betters".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Because a lot of people were calling for increased controls at Dublin airport.

I can only see two possible reasons for blaming the Rwanda scheme, and having no evidential basis whatsoever to do so.

a) Ineptitude.

b) Build panic that we're about to be 'flooded' only to introduce some token 'hard border' or deterrent measure before the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Shouldn't the Tanaiste be there too as foreign minister? Perhaps Michael is inclined to sit back and let FG take the flak on this one as we approach June elections.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭prunudo

think it was a poster on here mentioned we are cul de sac of Europe. At each failed attempt, an asylum seeker will move to the next country. Eventually they reach our shores and we get the unemployable and the un-identifable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Seems conveniently over simplistic to me.

If I had to up and leave my country because of some disastrous circumstance I'd still be making the most of it and heading somewhere with opportunities. I know a lot of Iranian's came to America in those circumstances post 1979.

Other than that I don't doubt that some people are using the asylum process as economic migrants but people have always moved for these reason. Only now if you can't get a visa you have two options, go undocumented or go through the IP process. Though not a perfect system, if people are to come here without visas, I think it's best they so through the IP route so they pay taxes, aren't feeding a shadow economy, kids can go to school etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,922 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

We should be destroying tent city in Dublin and sending the asylum seekers to Crooksling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Northernlily

If you were a continental European, I think this would be an acceptable solution to a huge problem. Out of sight out of mind on some island out in the Atlantic which happens to be us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Seems this was a wild guess though. They have literally no way of measuring who is coming across the border…it could be 45% or 60% or 80% (and yes, McEntee deserves criticism for this as the 80% figure has now grown legs if its own).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭combat14

the economics of the illegal migration system is unreal - it now seems as if foreign entities have a vested interest in the endless strean of arrivals coming indefinitely

The Integration department paid €2.3bn to companies providing accommodation for International Protection applicants and Ukrainian refugees last year.

almost half the companies earning the most from lucrative State contracts to provide accommodation for refugees and asylum seekers are fully or majority-owned by entities based abroad.

https://extra.ie/2024/04/28/news/refugee-town

Advertisement