Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I completely agree, we look really stupid by saying that there would be emergency legislation without getting UK agreement first that they would take them back. I don't know what she was thinking. Like a rabbit in the headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭prunudo

their world is about to impode and their last breathe is to ridicule anyone with an opposing view. Because boy oh boy are they in for a shock, and its coming sooner than they think. I've often wonder how intelligent people can be so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Full tinfoil hat: I'm convinced the social media companies label them in a certain way and give them a different worldview via the algorithms. That came out in a post Dublin riots hearing I think it was when one of the social media companies admitted politicians are labled differently than normal people. It blew my mind thinking about that and the danger of having such capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Like it or not Britain has implemented the Rwanda scheme now and as a sovereign independent state perfectly entitled to handle their own borders and immigration policies etc as they see fit.

Huge smell of hypocrisy here where on one hand the Irish Government criticizes the British government for not offering open doors to illegal immigrants & criticizes the Rwanda plan but when they start arriving in Ireland we need to 'return them'.

Looks like unfortunately Harris and the crew are in a spot of bother on this one, they can't close the open NI border after years of ensuring it stays open in the Brexit wrangling and they also will struggle to easily provide a serious deterrent to match the UK Rwanda scheme which will provide a natural draw to any illegal immigrants in the UK worried about being sent to Rwanda.

The UK is simply not going to accept 'returns' unless there is some type of cross EU agreement where they in turn can pass them back to France etc.

Honestly can't see an easy way out of this and Harris mouthing off and passing legislation ain't going to fix it. Any returns legislation will have to be agreed by the UK and that won't happen without a quid pro quo on 'Returns' to France etc.

Suspect all we will get is lots of mouthy press conferences, stern faces and some Tik Tok videos and he hopes it will all go away………………

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭engineerws

In the nineties, friends and I worked on the continent and lived in a tent during the summer. We had to pay to stay on the campsite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

To be fair France hasn't been co-operating with the UK on this as much as they could (because frankly they don't care and are more than happy for asylum seekers to move on to Britain). We are in the exact same bother with Britain as Britain is with France.

The UK will try use our dilemma as leverage with France and from their perspective that is understandable. We are in the worst place of the three countries because there is no where to hop on to from here.

Yes it's a bit of a conundrum. Think Harris hasn't quite figured it out yet we have here....don't think Harris quite understands that any 'returns' legislation is meaningless unless the UK agrees to play along with it.....which ain't going to happen without concessions re 'returns' to France etc.

Harris is finding out that being Taoiseach has a bit more to it than a few Tik Tok videos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,977 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Your right about France not caring and frankly the French would love to see the back of all these asylum seekers but tbf to the French you cannot police all that coast line, it's impossible

I know there was talk about it within Europe but more than ever we need our own Rwanda scheme, this EU migrate pact is a joke and wont get Europe anywhere.

I'm hoping with the upcoming European elections we can see individuals getting in that will go back to the drawing board with this migrate pact.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,251 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

To be fair, all of this has come to the fore only this week. We only heard for the first time a few days ago (from McEntee at a committee hearing) that 80% of asylum seekers are coming through NI. So this is all very new and our own Government has hardly had any time to react or to formulate policy around it.

All the more reason for Harris to take stock and pause for thought but instead starts blustering on about not becoming a loophole (we already are and became one the second the Rwanda Policy became law in the UK) and starting legislation to return asylum seekers to the UK which is totally pointless without agreement first with the UK. He has opened his mouth before thinking or looking at the situation closely.

• Advertisement

From the Irish Times

It comes as Ms McEntee puts the finishing touches to legislation that will allow returns of asylum seekers who have come across the Border. Ireland will begin sending asylum seekers back to the UK immediately after emergency legislation is passed enabling returns to re-start, under the plans.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/04/29/ireland-to-begin-sending-asylum-seekers-back-to-uk-once-emergency-legislation-is-passed/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf Stevie Wonder could have seen this happening since UK announced the Rwanda plan a few years ago. We don't know if these people even claimed asylum in the UK or if they just travelled through, and tbh we don't know if the 80% is actually accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭chuchuchu

By that logic, the UK could bring in emergency legislation to return the asylum seekers to France. I think the French would have a good laugh at that, likewise the British - at the Irish government attempts. I think the Irish government are just looking for a scapegoat now that the elections are coming up. They know they can't enact that legislation without agreement from the UK, and I'm not convinced that they want to return these asylum seekers. It's all for show, McEntee has barely returned any asylum seekers to EU countries that agreed to take them back. They are just trying to make it seem like they are working on behalf of the Irish voter, but in reality they are not, they're still packing the country with asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭toothy

To put it delicately horse diarrhea

Did you read any of it ? "Empirical" methodology, also you should take note of the authors and their inherent bias.

Here's an actual report with measured values over 25 years

"net costs of immigration to the Dutch public sector over the period 1995-2019 were an astounding €400 billion, averaging €17 billion a year, with a peak of €32 billion in 2016 due to the 2015 “refugee crisis.”

To put these figures in perspective, the Dutch government spent around €30 billion on education in 2016, €2 billion less than it spent on migrants in the same year.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/371951423_Borderless_Borderless_Welfare_State_The_Consequences_of_Immigration_for_Public_Finances

Are you sure there isn't a bilateral agreement between the UK and Ireland already? The Times mentions returns "re-starting"

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭REDBULL68

This is not a new discovery, Illegals have been coming through the north for donkeys year's, only the odd check on a train or bus to make it look good ,agree with the other poster's, it's an election ploy ,as they finally copped on ,unworkable and unbelievable at this stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,251 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But Rwanda may be a red herring. It's quite possible that the phenomenon of asylum seekers coming through NI would have happened anyway. The Rwanda 'deterrent' thing seems hard to believe….Channel crossings are actually up this year on last.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭REDBULL68

They have always come through the north, nobody in government cared its now an election issue, different story now ,be prepared for weeks of bullsh/t promises to do this and do that ,will come to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭tom23

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Top story on Sky News website

The UK will not take back asylum seekers who cross the border into Ireland "until the EU accepts that we can send them back to France", according to a government source………

However, a UK government source said any bid to return asylum seekers from Ireland would be rejected unless France agreed to do the same with boats crossing the Channel.

"We won't accept any asylum returns from the EU via Ireland until the EU accepts that we can send them back to France," the source said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Hang on a second.

We were told we were being "culturally enriched" by mass immigration. That it made our boring, mediocre country vibrant and diverse. Look at all the lovely food! Only racists don't appreciate this.

We were told taking in masses of Asylum Seekers was the right thing to do and showed us as good people. Only bad people were against this. They are racists!

We were told Ireland isn't full. We have plenty money and space for all who want to come here. The government just needs to organise things a bit better. It was Far Right and racist propaganda to suggest otherwise.

Why are the government now fighting (in as much as moral and intellectual weaklings like McEntee and Harris can fight anything) to send these beautiful, diverse people back?

I am confused.

Are they racist and Far Right now too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭brickster69

What about the positives ? Just imagine what a benefit all these hundreds of new scientists, engineers, builders, brain surgeons and the like will make.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭gifted

Surely our senior civil servants should have seen this happening when the British first announced the Rwanda idea........looks to me that the British had this planned all along to get at the French.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭DeadHand

It's a national mistake to send a vapid, social media addicted Justice Minister, a product of naked nepotism with the political nous of a TY student, to negotiate with the Tories.

They'll school her mercilessly and send her home thinking she won.

I only hope a few adults are sent with her.

Post edited by DeadHand on

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

There is just way too much negative talk about refugees and borders all over the world …. spread by the likes of Donald Trump who cause the problems that cause the refugees in the first place … war and sanctions …

It is EASY to spread misinfo online …. and to stoke far right rubbish like the great reset and the great replacement theory and other such neo-nazi drivel …. all designed to scare people …. it is sad people believe in all this and fall into the rabbithole …

Funny thing in America is the very individuals who are anti-refugee are the very ones who are pro war and pro sanctions …. they do not realise the connection between their evil beliefs ….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I don't think it's as simple as putting everyone into a left bucket or a right bucket unfortunately.

But I do agree with you that war is an industry and a stupid choice of certain countries and one outcome of that is the refugee crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Sure it doesn’t matter what the civil servants think as demonstrated time and again:

internal DOJ survey - most flagged issues with the new speak definition of family causing them issues in their job before referendum. The Gov time and time again said it would cause issues here.

And the best example - the AG advice being totally suppressed on same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Ask New York how it’s getting on…

Very similar situation to what we are now seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The meeting is cancelled due to a “diary clash” on Cleverly’s side. The official line is saying it’s postponed but no new date was pencilled in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement