Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Did you read them?

I don't have much time today but the second study, while not mentioning political affiliation specifically, links anti-immigration prejudice to negative personality traits.

Narcissism, Machiavellianism, and psychopathy correlated with immigrant threat perceptions and increased prejudice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Nothing to do with the fact that many people don't want to be associated with those types of protests , foul language abuse of others and AGS , and threatening behaviour ?

There are people who are deterred like you say but if they are deterred because they have to obey the laws of the land and stay peaceful , they are no loss really .

I don't disagree that there are many people who feel strongly about immigration and numbers of IPAS .

Most people will express their displeasure if that is how they feel in the local and European elections and /or on the doorsteps .

Many will decide on candidates for GE based onore than just immigration though unless they are stupid .

These protests are not peaceful or democratic if they are hijacked by a group of wandering miscreants who make it their business to protest everything and anything violently .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭dmakc

Couldn't be to do with our taxes funding these chancers straight into the country with €400k modular housing while the rest of us save for mortgages no?

It's our bad personality traits. Got it 🤣

Why would someone voting with immigration as a priority be "stupid"? Maybe they're unhappy with their taxes being wasted on these IPAs as outlined by McNamara courtesy of ROG?

Well able to throw stones GG, crocodile tears when they're reciprocated however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Well 'if it quacks like a duck'?

Actually, I don't believe that anti-immigration views for the most part are caused by maladaptive personalities.

I'm just pointing out the silliness of people in the anti-immigration movement tarring everyone with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Augme

Tell that to the Irish women who've been attacked by Irish men that it's only percentages that matter.

The only playing the mental gymnastics game is you. Of course I don't have the passport or birth cert of every perpetrator. Look, if you don't think Irish men committ sexual assualt just come out and say it.If you think it's only ever foreign men who committ sexual assualt just come out and say it. Don't be shy.

And the fact that Indian is about 80% Hindu and just 12% muslim.

Post edited by Augme on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Damien360

Good god. Pot and kettle come to mind. From day one,.you have labeled anyone that protested what was happening to their area and to their taxes as racists. The only group not racist was of course the residents of the only area that polled in the last referendum the compete opposite to the rest of the country, where the wealthy live.

Time and time again, you and your cohort of comrades have belittled and ignored any argument that anyone has put forward once it goes against your narrative. Crime stats, crime reports, personal testimony, all ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭growleaves

In the Results section of the second study, one of the conclusions is that:

'RWA (= Right-Wing Authoritarianism) correlated only (and negatively) with Machiavellianism and psychopathy'

Agreeableness was found to be positively related with RWA.

However it does show that RWA is positively related to threat perception.

It also finds that 'Dark Personality, Openness, RWA and SDO (Social Dominance Orientation)' could indirectly predict prejudice.

It's a bit of a confusing one because there are several claims being made and tested simultaneously, and several different conclusions being reached - some of which represent exceptions to others.

But basically it does support my statement that, at least in this study, there is no significant link found between a right-wing attitude and Machiavellianism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Packrat

What would you suggest?

Writing a strongly worded letter?

The people who stand up and defend their communities as best they can against a tyrannical state and a police force who have become the oppressive one they replaced, will be lauded as far seeing heroes in the fullness of time when things get worse.

The collaborators (unfortunately) probably won't face the just fate of collaborators since the dawn of time though. They'll slink off into the night, get an EU job or on the board of a multinational, some will even change their username again, and complain about the country they cheerlead the destruction of.

• Advertisement

The only playing the mental gymnastics game is you. Of course I don't have the passport or birth cert of every perpetrator. Look, if you don't think Irish men committing sexually assualt just come out and say it.If you think it's only ever foreign men who committed sexual assualt just come out and say it. Don't be shy.

No shyness here, also never stated it's only ever foreign men.

I'm asking you to back up your statement with facts, how are you sure they're Irish men who are commiting the assaults? You seem to have it in for Irish men

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Augme

I don't have it in for them. It's not my fault Irish men commit sexual assualts more than foreigners.

Page 26 and page 27. During a 12 month period 79% of committals for sexual offences where Irish nations and 94% were white.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,915 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Final reminder not to discuss or complain about other posters on thread, this includes bringing up posts made in other threads, previous warnings received or labeling them part of the right/left brigade etc.

These posts are becoming far too commonplace and warnings have not been working. Expect threadbans if these types of post continue.

Stick to the topic of the thread please

• Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yep, in some respects we begin to resemble a police state. When ordinary people are afraid to protest on local developments, there is something wrong.. Badly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I’m so fucken angry this is the Ireland the government have left me with to bring up my daughters.

Fuck them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,915 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@gw80 threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭suvigirl

There are peaceful protests every week in Dublin city centre. They don't result in people being arrested. There is obviously no issue with people protesting.

There is an issue when they break the law, which is why they are arrested.

Protest peacefully, no issue. Break the law, arrests. It's not rocket science!

Collaborators ?! Lol 🤣

Word taken from those collaborating with a nazi regime in WW2 ..don't think your average person who disagrees with anti immigration rallies and protests can reasonably be associated with people secretly supporting a nazi regime , now can they ?

Unless you have more information than I have and are afraid to say ?

And " a tyrannical state " .? .come on ;)

If that were true , all those on here would be afraid to post for fear the Secret Police would track them down and have them locked up !

Don't think a lot of these so called 'paaatriots ' on those protests could stand up to defend their own families if they were asked to , never mind their communities , many of whom are not happy to be associated with them .

As regards families though , notice many of the most active campaigners/ citizen journalists are not people with families , other halves, children .In fact nothing to defend or look out for apart from themselves and their video blogs .

All they are defending is their perceived "right " to shout and hurl abuse and to insult people .

As for a" strongly worded letter " , when many of the eejits screeching and videoing themselves are forgotten , that letter is still there for posterity to be referred to ..so don't underestimate it .

But really :) discussing posters as collaborators 'changing their username .' .

Have the courage of your convictions there, packrat , and stop hiding behind the keyboard ...Who are you referring to ?

Otherwise you cannot accuse others of any cowardly behaviour .

What I said was ..

"Many will decide on candidates for GE based on more than just immigration though unless they are stupid ."

This is true .

Only people who cannot see beyond their nose or very immature people would consider voting in a GE which will affect their lives for the next 4/5 years without considering all the issues at stake .

And the personal remark is unnecessary and immature @dmakc .

• Registered Users Posts: 35 joeymcg

What's the latest with the Coolock Crown paints site ?

• Advertisement

By default, IPA immigration is implicit in the housing crisis, the wreckless squandering of tax payers money, negatively affecting GP waiting lists and decimating tourism.

People who label others that vote based on this issue "stupid", to be kind, lack wisdom, perspective and foresight.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

"Only people who cannot see beyond their nose or very immature people would consider voting in a GE which will affect their lives for the next 4/5 years without considering all the issues at stake"

Naw, totally disagree here. the incumbents have warped the notion of any semblance of nationhood and practically shredded the social contract. Those purported to be waiting in the wings to take power would make the current crowd in power look like mere alter boys.

I'm cashing out, enough of the current BS. I'd vote actual nazis in at this stage, I don't give two continental hoots for it. They literally cannot be any worse. Five years ago I'd punch myself in the face for contemplating it, but here we are. To those with all those warm fuzzy feelings of #IrelandForAll and other such claptrap, well done. Take a bow, you've created this through gross incompetence and a shocking false sense of moral superiority.

The amazing fall from grace of the Irish Catholic Church should have served as a warning, not a manual. At least the Catholic Church lasted a few hundred years, liberal-progressive Ireland is barely a decade old and look at how it has already turned to crap. Slow clap for yeas.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. Claiming asylum is not an imprisonable offence.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Its really not. Did you read the housing commission report?

It really is, and I wont waste time on simple school economics here as I honestly have no interest in engaging with you.

People who label others that vote based on this issue "stupid", to be kind, lack wisdom, perspective and foresight."

So that does not apply to me .

If that is what their decision process brings them to , then it is not stupid .

Because as I said in my post they are considering the issues . Not just one .

One issue voting only works for very localised issues like Mica for instance .

One issue voting on a national issue got us the likes of Clare Daly, Mick Wallace et al .

And btw I do not class McNamara in that group of one issue voters as you suggest . He is very smart and straight and will do well in Europe .

so you cannot debate an actual independent study on housing in Ireland. c

if you know more about the independent body that undertook the study for the last 2 years, why wouldn't you share it?

Oh I could absolutely debate it in two ways; one being simple economics which I'm not bothered to waste time with (given it's yourself), and the other I'd receive a warning for anecdotal evidence on the housing of IPAs.

So you can go annoy someone else for tonight thank you 👋

It's simple enough really, immigration is not one issue given that it's intrinsically linked to so many other key issues.

Therefore no one who votes on it can be branded as "stupid". That derogatory viewpoint is something you might need to work on yourself.

• Advertisement

"Are you talking to me ? Are you ..talking ..to ..me ?! "

Why are you quoting me and blaming me for the situation in the country?

I get it you are angry but you could at least attempt to be reasonable..

Boards and its posters do not influence politics or decisions made by governments.

It is merely a discussion forum .

I am hoping you were only referring to my post and not blaming me for the state of the nation .

So you don't agree about people voting for single issue candidates , and as I have pointed out I do not agree with single issue voting except on local issues.

We will agree then to disagree, but don't blame me or others for having our opinions and expressing them on a discussion forum .

Advertisement