Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

There's a volunteer one who seems to be the go to advocate whenever the tents are taken away. I don't know does she have a job or anything but I'll tell you what, she would be a great children's writer

She describes these poor tikes like little kittens who don't know what's happening and almost need their hand held crossing the road. She knows full well they're brazen men of the world who are as cute as they come but she spins a yarn. Brilliant stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think the general consensus across the spectrum in fact is that there are too many asylum seekers arriving at the moment (early to mid 2024) versus not enough emergency accommodation for them. Few people would be able to disagree with it - it's a statement of fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I'm convinced media, politicians and the public have very different social media feeds and that's the cause of the consternation we see today. No one is aligned.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,995 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Yup might as well roll out the red carpet.

The only way to stop this is the local and European Elections, these are the most important elections in my time. With European Elections we can vote candidates that can stop this plight and with the locals we can voice our anger at parties inability to do anything on immigration and we're kind of seeing it already but far far far from enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Is that the one who appeared on the Tonight Show a short while ago? Big empty living room behind her. Why doesn't she let a few of them camp in her house if they're so great?

• Advertisement

This is spooky, I think the same woman was on Virgin news earlier in the day and hand on heart I thought the same why doesn't this woman house some of these men IPAs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭downtheroad

There were 4 panelists, 2 in government and 2 in opposition.

Not 1 said that we need to stop the arrival of more asylum seekers to put a lid on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I get the impression though that people are also realising that you can't solve the problem by simply building more accommodation or booking more hotel rooms etc. since doing so creates a pull factor that encourages more to come.

It's going to blow SF chances at the general election, they just don't know how to read a room. They were the same with the referendum.

What awful opposition parties we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

It's a lefty liberal's paradise that show …night after night never a differing view…..that Olivia wan the rotund bird must spend more time down the canal with these poor buggers than she ….

was gonna say spends time with her own kids, scrap that I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭chuchuchu

https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/1cx8a6v/recent_population_change_in_europe_as_of/

ireland with some of the highest population growth in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Is that the black haired heavy (let's call a spade a spade) lady constantly hanging around where the tents are?

She's been on France 24 and the lot crying out about the plight of these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 star61

It really doesn’t matter what they are saying. . They know, Everyone knows we cannot build an infinite number of houses modular or otherwise. They are arguing for the sake of arguing. That’s it really. It cannot be done and it will not be done. They will plough on with this building lark until they have to admit failure eventually .
    What happens then is the real question we should be asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I answered your question about 6 months ago (as I suspect you remember well)

Perhaps you might bookmark the page this time to save you wondering what people are talking about in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Augme

From reading this thread that wouldnt go down to well from a popularity point of view. It seems it's a bit insulting expecting them to live in modular homes. As one poster described them - "glorified sheds". I imagine the headlines would be how the government don't care about gardai and nurses since they are telling them to live in "glorified sheds".

Again, the council would disagree with that reading what they said in that story. The have even stated they have grant planning permission to log cabins.

Meanwhile, Tipperary County Council Director of Planning Sharon Kennedy responded to Cllr McGrath’s comments at last week’s county council meeting by stating that it was made very clear at the December meeting that the council doesn’t have a policy against modular homes or log cabins.

In fact, in the last few weeks she had seen planning permission going through in relation to one of these types of developments.

However, that doesn't mean you can built a log cabin without permission and expect to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

So there was no tweet directly backing up what that other poster was claiming?

Thanks for clearing that up. It was a tweet three years ago linking to a government white paper regarding direct provision.

I thought it was a new tweet with the amount of coverage it gets on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

She was on an X vid recently could be seen helping pitch up a tent and shiftily moving aside when she saw the camera approach …and I get the source of that vid is not everyone's cup of tea, but surely if these tents keep being removed then she's breaking the law by assisting in putting them back

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Lofidelity

She's a trinity psychology student who previously worked with the UN on migration. All on google.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I was never into politics and said once to a person some years ago that ask my if voted about something that I don't follow politically stuff and leave to people who to vote. Thinking the world vote in my best interests.

That has all changed in the last few years and I honestly don't know how this country is still OK.

We have tax income from foreign companies that we would be broke if we didn't get it and that won't last forever.

We people giving out about data centres that these companies need. Are they for or against these companies.?

And spend money on loads of useless stuff that are projects of the green party.

When the money tree or trees rather falls there will be a big wake up and all responsible will have legged it and setup for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Lofidelity

On the Irish Times tonight, buses of asylum seekers were blocked from entering a site near Carrickmines previously used for Ukrainians. The buses came from dundrum mental hospital and city west so they're just moving people around.

Rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Nice big lawn at Aras An Uachtarain. I'm sure Micky D wouldn't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You introduced garden sheds in a conversation about modular housing. They do not meet building regulations for habitable buildings and will never get planning permission for use as a residential building. They are not in any way comparable with modular housing being constructed by the government which do meet building regulations.

The government have however included an exemption from planning for modular housing for refugees and asylum seekers. Joe and Josephine Soap cannot avail of this exemption to construct a modular house for themselves, paid for by themselves. The government are using this exemption in Clonmel and cowboy developers like in Coole are trying to exploit this exemption. Guess what? Joe and Josephine Soap are pissed off, hardly surprising.

You either have no awareness of planning or building regulations in Ireland or you are arguing in bad faith, deliberately trying to derail the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joeymcg

Josephine needs to wake the fcuk up and realise she needs to leave Joe for one of the said big cowboy developers where she'll have fine pad for herself and leave behind her all the woes of being a Soap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Packrat

I think we all know the answer to your last line.

What I can't understand is why people respond to these accounts at all.

Are you totally unaware of what's going on here? Must it be spelled out, resulting in threadban for whoever takes it upon themselves to point it out to you?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭maebee

Agreed. They were riding high in the polls a few months ago. If they were a real opposition, who spoke for the people, they would be the peoples' voice and ditch their "open borders" policy and they would romp home to Leinster House. I can't see myself ever voting SF but would consider it if they were a credible opposition. They're not. I always voted FF and my local FF candidate is a neighbour who does fantastic work for our area but I've told him my feelings on this and I told him that for the first time in approx 20 years, I won't be voting for him. I'm going to vote for the most obscure Independent in my constituency, as a protest vote against this government. He knows me and he knows that I'm not "Far Right". He knows that we took in a Ukrainian family in March 2022 for 5 weeks (unpaid by Government) and looked after them until illness and death struck us. I've told him, yesterday, that the government, of which he he is as part of, is destroying this country. He kind of agreed with me. I said "If you agree with me, you need to put it in your fliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭REDBULL68

It's all election bullshit, they done nothing for years ,just the call to keep coming ,now the game is up they'll promise the moon, expect to see 4 or 5 deported soon and it will be the headline on rte, even if the world was on fire ,complete chancers, unfortunately when this crowd head off into the sunset ,it's us and our children that have to live with the legacy .

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Dub.

So you will carry on voting FFFG who caused this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Will0483

If we had 100,000 empty houses, I wouldn't want eve one used for housing an Economic migrant as they are of no benefit to the state and have no right to be here.

Illegal immigration needs to stop and this issue will take care of itself. Hire more people to decide on AS applications and change the laws on appeals to limit the number.

Remove all Government funding to NGO's that coach migrants and are run counter to current Government policy.

Our housing or lack of should have nothing to do with Asylum seekers though luckily for us we have a massive shortage right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

it wasn’t one tweet, it was multiple tweets in several different languages linking to the white paper where own door accommodation was mentioned. No one said there was a new tweet and it was mentioned multiple time that the tweets were from 3 years ago

Advertisement