Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yet another reminder of a warning that was posted over a year ago and is in the OP - the OP that everyone posting is expected to have read

This thread is about refugees not people who migrate to Ireland for other reasons

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post in-thread

• Registered Users Posts: 18,287 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There might well be a lot of truth in that and it will make the European and local elections interesting in that regard.

But having said all that, the 'right wing' vote in Ireland is surely overstated - the vast bulk of political parties and TDs in the Dáil are not right wing and probably never will be. It's just that they are making a huge amount of noise on social media and flooding every single thread about immigration, refugees, Ukrainians and emergency accommodation centres with comments and likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Geert von Instetten

The intention is to introduce emergency legislation in the form of a temporary Asylum Crisis Act, a piece of domestic legislation presumably consistent with the EU’s Crisis Regulation which provides for a Member State’s derogation from certain existing asylum obligations. The expectation, I’d imagine, is that these policies of deterrence will have the effect that they have had in Denmark and Sweden, disincentivising economic migration and secondary movement to the Netherlands. Increasingly it appears that this approach to asylum becoming common in the EU, I’d imagine the Austrians will explore similar policies in the Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Tribalism. Believing that what's happening at the moment is a mess does not mean 'standing side by side'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ooter

Much more balanced discussion on Brendan O'Connor radio show this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

On RTE ? That aint never gonna happen ... all very guarded as per usual. No way will Brendan O C let a bit of truth get in the way of his €1/4 mill salary

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Sunjava

Would you blame him?.. society has become very much 'every man for himself'.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭CiboC

….

• Registered Users Posts: 7 a.non.i.mouse

I'm afraid you are totally incorrect here, applicants are not asked anything about their attitudes to norms in Irish society as part of their interview.

The Asylum interview assesses whether an applicant is eligible for refugee status or permission to remain.

That analysis is based solely on what their circumstances are, what has happened to them, where they come from and what may happen to them if they are returned.

Attitudes to Irish society have no part of that analysis.

I have a close relative who actually does this job. There is an incredible amount of misinformation and ignorance about this topic not only in this thread, but over all social media in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭rgossip30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭tom23

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭trashcan

For someone not involved in the process you seem very adamant that you are right about this. I can assure you that you aren’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

There's going to be increased competition amongst European countries to be the least attractive option when it comes to dealing with asylum seekers. It's been happening for years now and is only going to get worse. We've already started to have the same approach here. And yes tensions between countries will only get worse.

The same thing is happening in the USA with sanctuary cities who had the same approach as Ireland being completely overwhelmed and changing the policies to make them much less attractive to asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Photobox

Can I just ask what kind of misinformation and ignorance is out there generally about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

If you think it's such a handy number why don't you just renounce your citizenship and claim asylum as a stateless person?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Very one sided I thought, there was one person allowed to comment on ordinary peoples concerns for a couple of minutes and no follow up exploration of points raised from Ballsy. Somebody referred to a Ukrainian war refugee they knew who was living in a hotel, holding down two jobs (depriving who?) and who couldn't attend a funeral. I'm not sure what the point was, were we supposed to feel sorry for this lady cos she couldn't get time to go back home (presumably) for the funeral or were we supposed to admire her as was suggested by the panellist, for her endeavours? It was opined that she should be an example to the (inferred) lazy Irish. I was thinking that if she's got free board and lodging and holding down two jobs, she must be building a nice nest egg of savings.

Other than that, I've heard very little discussion of war refugees in the past few days, so I guess this thread will become moribund.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Will0483

I'll join the dots for you as you don't seem to be following. The UK is our closest neighbour and not so dissimilar to us as we might like and they are a century or two ahead of us in terms of dealing with immigration. You can think of it as a giant experiment from which we can learn what works and what doesn't.

I have lived and worked in three EU countries enjoying the freedom of movement that EU membership provides so 100 per cent not anti-EU.

I'm against the brainless left wing consensus that all immigration is an unalloyed good when in reality it's a very complex issue. We will only gain as a country if we approach this issue very carefully with data led decision making.

Post edited by Will0483 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭downtheroad

In the Business Post today, 200 branches of estate agents have been contacted by the Department of Integration to identify available commercial properties to accommodate unprecedented numbers of asylum seekers.

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/exclusive-government-contacts-hundreds-of-property-firms-in-bid-to-house-asylum-seekers/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 a.non.i.mouse

I'm not going to go into an enormous amount of detail.

There is a reason why civil servants don't get involved here. They are precluded from engaging with these debates on social media by a code of conduct.

I didn't want to say anything that may inadvertently identify my relative.

Unfortunately this leaves space for people to come out with completely untrue statements, such as the one I responded to, and present then as facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,996 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wow this is just **** disgusting when you think about all the homeless Irish with thousands of kids on the streets but yet this vile government are making an effort to house illegals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Augme

The UK are completely different to Ireland in their stance and approach to international affairs. There's really not much we would have ever had in common with them. The UK attitude to immigrants and other cultures has been built on a foundation of servitude and seeing other culutures as being sub-human. T

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭prunudo

and yet, the underlying drive here is to accept more refugees than there is physical space for, because the government want to use them as low income workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭marty whelan

I think you have a valid point re low paid workers, but I think the main issue is people don't understand what the government can actually do. You don't have a passport? How am I getting you on a plane to somewhere? The answer is I can't. Lose your passport, you're here forever. That's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Will0483

That's completely unhinged and really offensive. We were literally a colony for 800 years and are conversing here in English not Irish. If you ask the average Irish person who's the PM in Spain or Greece they probably won't know but they could name the previous 5 in the UK.

We grow up watching the BBC, following English football and culture in general so I stand by what i said.

If you have an irrational hatred of the English, that's your business but it has no place here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭prunudo

detention centres until their applications are processed. None of this free to roam around and do as you please. And I don't care if that costs money. So does the current policy and we need something that is a deterrent to the endless arrival of hundreds each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Wow, that is some real nasty bigotry right there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I'm afraid you are totally incorrect here, applicants are not asked anything about their attitudes to norms in Irish society as part of their interview.

The Asylum interview assesses whether an applicant is eligible for refugee status or permission to remain.

That analysis is based solely on what their circumstances are, what has happened to them, where they come from and what may happen to them if they are returned.

Attitudes to Irish society have no part of that analysis.

I have a close relative who actually does this job. There is an incredible amount of misinformation and ignorance about this topic not only in this thread, but over all social media in general.

Talk about a waste of time - hard to imagine getting much job satisfaction out of it considering, to the public at least, that these assessments really do nothing in the greater scheme of things.

The department and office that deals with this might as well be replaced with the smiley button thing at the end of the Lidl checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

^ exactly this yes. The Ukranian lass (with 2 jobs) was held up as poster girl for how successful this tsunami of migrants is working out. (Everybody forgot to ask if her hotel acommodation is paid for with our tax monies while she holds down 2 jobs)

Then they all chorussed how the gubberment was taken by complete surprise by this influx. Brendan forgot to mention that Roddy boy had invited the world at large over here in no less than 7 languages. That might have summat to do with the current stampede, Bren ?

Brendan O C must sit them all down well bfore the show airs to weed out any deviations from the script

• Advertisement
Advertisement