Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grazing 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

Plenty of grass but ground is tender. Going to let some out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Theres nitrogen in the more recent warmer rain, grass is gone lush. Utilisation would be disastrous to let ‘em off here yet though.

in the words of sir William Wallace “HOOOLD”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,156 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Soil temperatures are up to 3C above normal. Grass growing well.

Be getting cattle out on any dry fields. The dry weather next week will give a chance to many to spread a bit of fertlizer.

As we go over 10c frosty nights will stop impinging growth. Magic day could be two weeks ahead of normal.

I expect to have everything out by early next week ( some land had gone in to Geese and Swan).

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

It's a pure swamp here...no chance of drying at all. There's not a four legged beast out for miles around.

The only concession is if we do get a bit of dry weather ground will dry quickly.

Not much point in having grass and you can't utilise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

Same. Been a long bastard of a winter. Housed since early November and at least two weeks more assuming things dry up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Silverdream

This morning I let out some light cattle that I would like to clean off and improve on grass before selling on,

going is definitely soft though so it'll need a weeks drying before the cows see the grass

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

of you had a week of weather like today things would look a lot rosier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yea today some contrast to yesterday. That northern wind was blowing in on lambing shed yesterday and it was feeezing. Letting lambs out today and it’s lovely and mild

Plenty of grass but ground soft. Tough spring on the tillage lads. Nothing down around here. Was in London earlier in the week. While returning I was shocked by the look of the crops as you approach the runway. A lot of visible clay between the rows. 2 solar farms up anyway so they’re fairly weather proof I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,156 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Years back I ploughed two fields here to reseed. With one of them I think it has significantly reduced it performance. Now I would not have a great dept of top soil. The rest of the farm was just disced. I will never have a plough inside the gate again

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

All out this morning bar a few straggler cows yet to calve. Turned out to be a long winter. Grass is flying over the last few days and the week ahead is promised to warm up even more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yea some difference in 24 hours. Fantastic morning out

Have everything out full time except a few cows left to calf. My land has fully dried out and could take a fair amount of rain at this stage. I’ve found grass growth not hectic this year so far, cool wind isn’t helping that.

Week ahead isn't promised great, turning cold again. There's no going back in but it would make grass management harder. Serious amount of flowers out now on the grass, anyone with hayfever like myself is suffering these days with all the pollen

Just walked the silage ground today. Cattle off it a week and was hoping to spread slurry on it but it’s too spongy. Gaps are like quagmires. Terrible start to the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyone else notice the poor growth over the last few days, we need a bit of heat or it'll be next impossible to keep grass ahead of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Noticed some growth 2 days ago as the grass in the hedges came out well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭older by the day

Spring has sprung I noticed this evening. There will be lads topping this time next week. I heard the cuckoo today

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Thankfully we didn't get the rain forecasted for yesterday got a group of maiden heifers out this morning

• Advertisement

I was hoping for a bit of rain myself. Land went from swimming to very dry with the cool wind we got where I am, resulting in slow grass growth I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I can't stand the sound of the cuckoo as the only time I hear his monotonous call is when I'm footing turf in the bog and it goes on for hours and hours. Unless it dries up in the next few weeks there will be no banks cut around here until mid Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sadly we got it here, maybe we shouldn’t have been as greedy and passed it your way. We’ve had a nice bit since this time yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

I'm thinking of cutting silage mid week is giving good. It won't be heavy but it will be good stuff. Huge growth here.

Grass still tight but grazing silage ground. Also started feeding finisher nuts. Sick to the hole of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Almighty difference today in growth.

Shoved them on here As well. Fed a shocking amount of silage since last October.

Thank God I'm bad at maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭dmakc

Seeing no rain for next 9 days, we've lots of water in a tank would it be any good to wash in fert or is it too much at 1000g/acre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Spread the fertiliser on a dew to give it a quick start to melting.

Any water is a help. Could go 500 g an acre on 2 occasions. Little and often with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

It’s the turf not the cuckoo driving you mad. Poor auld cuckoo he never causes the same hardship as turf.

Advertisement