Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail in Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I'm guilty of jumping in here but theres a certain person that attempts to derail every single thread into some kind of anti-capitalist soap box.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

snip - took the bait

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭decies

Dubray book shop owned by Easons apparently open in coming months in Waterford .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I always found Dunnes a fair bit more expensive compared to Tesco or Supervalu, they seem to be targeting the better off financially market as even their vouchers and deals are quite mean compared to other supermarkets.

One thing i noticed is they dont seem to have much turnover of staff. Its the same couple of lads delivering the shopping, on the checkouts or shop floor year after year. So there must be something keeping them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Dunnes is our go-to for nearly everything except visit to Ardkeen for niceties. Staff in Dunnes are excellent. in store and on deliveries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tesco is always more expensive than Dunnes in my experience, I dunno why anyone shops there.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I dunno I definitely don’t find Dunnes more expensive than super valu - very much the opposite experience for me.

I think Dunnes do actually pay fairly well though once you get in on it and can tolerate working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Valhalla90

M&S food are opening in a service station in Limerick. So they are still committed to Ireland. Hopefully the change of use for City Square allows M&S in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭914

Aldi it is for City Square, that's fairly disappointing I must say.

https://www.beat102103.com/waterford-news/new-aldi-store-to-open-in-waterford-next-summer-1126749

While I believe it won’t take up the whole ground floor, this is really disappointing and lacks any ambition from the centre to attract big names. Pathetic to be honest! Where is M&S,H&M,Zara,New Look? List could go on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

It’s market forces that dictate…….the usual depressing chip on shoulder type posters will love this one…….waterford gets nothing , ignored by successive governments, private sector won’t invest as a result etc etc….😡 if a centre has vacant units and is haemorrhaging cash then it can’t be that fussy about who it it accepts as a tenant, Aldi are probably looked at as a solid dependable tenant who will create footfall etc…….I’m sure they (the centre owmers) are not too concerned about a few depressing ‘know it alls’ on boards.ie…?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Aldi will probably bring more footfall than Zara. Then more footfall may help fill other units?

I was a bit surprised to see Aldi are closing The Glen for it, but I'm not too familiar with that store.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

Why cant Waterford accept it is one of the poorest areas of the country? Sub-par retail is one of the many consequences.

After hearing it is Aldi I’m also starting to loose hope. The city centre is dying a long slow death and if people want to ignore that that’s their choice but just walk around it and look. Lots of people here seem to be content with accepting excuses as this is a deprived area etc when the reality is people from here are shopping in Dublin/Cork etc because they have the stores. It’s a constant retail spending leakage.

I agree to some extent, but centre owners from Wexford having paid nearly 20 m Euro for the place probably could not car eless who they get in. Debenham's is to be divide dinto three units, Looks like ALdi and another on ground floor and someone else upstairs. Remember Roches Stores had a grocery on the ground floor so its not that different. The Aldi place in the Glen is quite depressing. Having been in UHW this morning and had coffee in Ardkeen, it shard to believe that there is not lots of disposable income around. Leakage is a major problem, probably chicken and egg. By teh way I see that Tesco Express are openinga small shop in te main street iN Kilkenny where Argos were. Their Supervalu in Market Cross is to close and that whole centre is fairly empty. What's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭mart 23

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭beachhead

M&S profits are up and down like a yoyo.They claim to be happy with their profits in the Republic.Waterford could do with them.They do support Irish producers and I would include Northern Irish in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Everyone wants Marks & Spencers but then if it ever did open they would bitch about it being expensive.

People from Waterford travel up to Clonmel weekly to get stuff from M&S. Just adds to the retail leakage we suffer and then the ones who say we can’t support a store like that here due to economic reasons. You can be sure if City Square offered them a good deal they would be here in the morning.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Do they really though, I've been in that M&S a few times and its a very small store and the grocery section isnt great at all, now the Dunnes Stores in clonmel, now thats something people maybe travelling up for ok.

• Advertisement

Urban legend. People go for a spin and drop in tehre and suddenly ...

Clonmel has its own issues with retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭decies

Waterford people at the end of the day don’t support their own , never shut up about price of parking despite good value 5 mins walk . They drive to Clonmel hardly the Mecca of shopping the M+ S shopping centre dying on its feet there . If the few decent shops that are left go you’d be really worried about attracting any shops of substance . Begin to wonder have we ever fully recovered from the crystal factory closing and the spending power that brought , think the people with money in the city are spending it online or going elsewhere .

Aldi? What a load of boring shite but as said the owners don’t care- just get a reliable tenant in paying the rent. It’s a similar situation allover though- even go into Dublin City centre and the amount of low quality retail there now and vacant premises

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dexpat

Some reasonable comments about Aldi being a disappointing addition to City Sq but retail is completely changing. City centres in 10 years will be completely different. Much more people living there and less traditional shops with more services for residents. Disappointing that is Aldi closing in the Glen but in City Sq will add more footfall to the centre. Plenty of space is still left for the likes of Zara etc. They will only come if if it is commercially viable. More people in the city centre will make that more likely. I was down a while ago for Winterval and it amazes me that people still persist with the 'town is dying boy' mentality. Sure there are still issues but the city-centre to me and many outsiders I talked to has come on a huge amount. Plenty more to do but as an infrequent visitor it's moving in the right direction

Yea I come down from Kilkenny to Waterford a bit and it’s not as bad as people here make out in my opinion- sure it’s not Grafton street level but nowhere in Ireland is and some very good stores like Shaws, Tommy Hilfiger, huge Penneys and some nice coffee shops. I find parking unbelievably easy and convenient right across at the clock tower car park. Yes it’s a bit expensive but I’m rarely staying more than an hour or two anyhow. You’re out the M9 motorway in 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭JVince

Not really. Apple green have signed an agreement to link in with m&S and sell a range of their food operations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Can never understand people’s obsession with M&S and how waterford needs to have one….😡 f

You see these M&S food stores across the UK at service stations. Basically it’s a small M&S food hall. Hopefully we get one here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭JVince

Advertisement