Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail in Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

still don’t get it……what is so special about M & S……according to this thread some folk make regular 80km round trips to the clonmel M&S …?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Don't look at M&S by itself. Having a vibrant city that people want to live in is all about choice in retail and food.

If Waterford wants to consider itself a proper city then it needs the likes of Zara, H&M, Nandos, Five Guys and M&S but currently it doesn't have any of these bigs. And that's just five off the top of my head. There are many many more top brands that are just nowhere near the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

M&S is like the 90s/00s version of 'why don't we have a Virgin/HMV in Waterford City'

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Valhalla90

Well if the likes of Clonmel,Killarney,Athlone,Letterkenny can have M&S there’s no reason why they shouldn’t be located here. People just want choice and the options available to them. Nobody is forcing people through the doors of M&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Advertisement

Usually a city offers good retail choice. Waterford lacks this unfortunately. Before people start I’m from Waterford and would like nothing more than the city center to be thriving.

Similar to what I said above. People tend to bury their heads in the sand and say "its not Waterford's failings as a city, it's the the people fault for wanting x y or z!!".

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

Not objecting to fast fashion and fast food chains, and its mad that we don't have them @ 60,000 people, but to say that they make a "proper" city...I'm at a loss for words.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I don't get M&S at all, they might have an odd treat or something but I would only a very odd time if I happen to pass one somewhere. Can't believe people travel far to go to it, I'd hardly cross the road to it. I suppose if you don't want to prepare meals from scratch they are appealing.

As above though anything that draws people into the city centre is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Same here. Everyone wants an improved retail offer in city and M&S would be a great store, but M&S food? Much better, locally produced stuff in Ardkeen Stores. I really dont believe that anyone travels to Clonmel to buy M&S food if they do, they have more money than sense.

• Advertisement

Are you saying that the places that many people want to eat in and shop in don't make a proper city? That's like saying sufficient well paid jobs don't make a proper city.

You might not want to eat or shop in those places (i dont either) but a hell of a lot of people do. Theres a reason why people don't shop in Waterford and some people don't seem to get it even though its staring them right in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I think everyone gets it to be honest. A lot of people have convinced themselves that pedestrianisation , parking etc etc is so difficult that its not worth the effort. Easier to travel to ....(fill in whatever town you wish). They believe their own view of things leading to a chicken and egg situation. I wont bother going into town ...etc. We have very real deficits and problems caused by limited major retailers and internet shopping above all which is affecting every town and city in the world. The damage caused by some terrible commentary on social media has been very harmful to Waterford city and its reputation. Maybe thats why people get defensive. I just try to support my native city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭decies

Let’s not forget plenty good family owned business shut up shop or changed hands in the last few years in the city centre and to a large degree were never replaced with ones of similar shopping experience . If the retail that’s there now it’s not supported you can forget any chance of getting the usual suspects to come here .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The food is nice but since Brexit kicked in properly in 2021, the grocery selection in the Newbridge one has gone to sh*t. Loads of gaps on shelves, short dates etc. Can't imagine Clonmel is any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Any with the economical square metres to justify opening

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

" problems caused by limited major retailers and internet shopping "

I went into Lifestyle sports at the weekend, and i thought it was closed down !!!!

Very little in the store to purchase, so Online is the way to go.

Retailers have to take some blame also!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

But like the list is endless of the Big names that we don’t have in the city. Serial objectors also did a lot of damage with regards to retail developments such as the Newgate centre. Here are some of the names we don’t have

Marks & Spencer. Zara. New Look. H&M. Mango. Pull&Bear.Bershka. & Other Stories. Massimo Dutti. This is only off the top of my head. So for me Aldi opening is a disappointment when you see the list of stores that we don’t have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭914

I agree but aldi will bring footfall, as did Roches stores grocery shopping, if footfall increases then you would like to think this increases the chances of filling upstairs in debenhams, the front of city square with (hopefully) some big names.

I also wouldn't imagine Aldi will take all of downstairs in debenhams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Dubarry books has opened up in City Square. This will be a big enough boost for the SC even though its a small shop. Ok Aldi is a bit underwhelming but it will bring the footfall which might bring something else in its wake. Unfortunately it will be a loss for the Glen.The obsession with M&S is a meme at this point. It would not be the boon to the city everyone thinks it is. I would be surprised if a single person traveled to Clonmel for that. It would be like Kilkenny people traveling to Ferrybank for the Tesco express.

I haven't been to Clonmel in a few years.The last time it was in 2020 when Covid came along and the place looked like it was in a severe depression compared to Waterford.At lot of their pubs were closed down and had been for a while. By contrast Dungarvan when I was there last year was in great shape. Especially the restaurant scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭JVince

from reading in the grocery press it is a supply agreement with applegreen. Approx 400 M&S products will be listed. Looks like applegreen will still run the stores and the m&s products will simply be a collection within the store. If its like one I saw in the UK, it will be ready meals, sandwiches, salads and include the dine in menus

Retail sure has issues at the moment but I don't think I've been to any other city the same size as Waterford that has such a poor offering. We should be pulling people down from all over the region to shop but instead, people can't wait to get out of the place to spend their cash in the shops they want elsewhere.

Retail is also doing reasonably well in places that have a good offering. Just because it isn't doing well in Waterford doesn't mean its doing bad everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Bards

I'm betting once the NQ are finished and we have better connectivity between south Kilkenny/north Waterford that footfall will substantially increase thus attracting big name stores to capture this market share.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭decies

To be fair the north quays were originally supposed to be a retail game changer for Waterford the south east and even further beyond and I formally believe if they built it as it originally drawn up they would have come . That opportunity is gone now. Running on fumes now .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

The Aldi announcement is a bit disappointing alright. Aldi has been very good for The Glen area. Hopefully another supermarket will go in there. In terms of City Square, there is still a chance of one or two big names going in. The upstairs of the old Debenhams and the large front unit are still empty. Aldi taking space at least shows William Neville Investment Properties are actively working at filling the empty units. The old Argos and the plans for the Michael St site have potential for something of interest also.

Jaysus Michael St, how long has that been ongoing now, the first development announced in 2007 and we have had 2 or 3 more plans since.

The last vision for the area was pretty dire, little retail and mainly student accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Re Aldi in the Glen - is it true that its one of only two Aldi stores in Ireland that has Security on the door fulltime???

RE North Quays - Is it true 'they' are looking for private investment to come in and save/start the development ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

There is security on the Cork Road Aldi as well. The one in the Glen is surrounded by flats and a transient population, they tend to have more trouble in the shop in that environment. I dont know for sure but i dont think any shops out on the Dunmore Road have full time security.

I would also echo my bafflement over the M&S love...its just a shop and the one in Clonmel does have some nice food but its nothing id be rushing into town for every day or making a specific trip to visit. I think people are just blinded by a name without asking about the quality. Like the X Factor..very popular but complete rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Bards

Harcourt are the private developers and are due to start the commercial aspect of the NQ during 2024

• Advertisement

Advertisement