Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail in Waterford City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I agree. Im glad they got rid of Chopped. That was a poor decision in my view, and likely a side effect of the current wellness fads. A lot of regulars to City Square are elderly and picking up groceries and chatting to their friends and they live in the local older areas of the city.

They want a simple menu like soup and sandwiches, not fancy avacado and kale! Nothing wrong with that food but they didnt get a feel for the local audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

We need another couple of restaurants in town!

Tried a few locations tonight but no room at the inn & there was plenty of others like me!

No, I didn't think to book anywhere. It was more of a spur of the moment thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The parking offering is pretty decent, depending on which area you're coming from. Millars Marsh and Waterside Carpark is perfect really and only 3.60 for the whole day. You're about 1 or 2 busy roads away from the pedestrianised area of the city. I've got 2 kids under 7, and no problem whatsoever parking and walking in from those areas - with buggy in all.

On another note, sad to see Blackfriars Coffee closed. But I guess they're now focusing on their Cork Road and Dunmore Rd ones. Not sure if they still own the one in Dunmore East Golf Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

Queen street restaurant in Tramore closed and they are opening a new place in the golf club cant think of the name of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Few more Cafés too, Café Lucia and Blackfriars closing a tough loss.

• Advertisement

I wasn't aware of that which is a pity!

The council needs to attract big players to the city which is difficult

with current world events & expectations from those gate crashing our border!

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Sign in Cafe Lucia wondow saying something new coming I was in Shaws on Saturday and it has turned into a very fine shop, including new escalators. Ardkeen Stores restaurant on ground floor front. Really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

You appear to be just one of many locals with a massive chip/sh1t on their shoulder about anything waterford/local……rates, parking, rent all to expensive for retailers……traffic management a joke etc etc….drives to kk for shopping, who would visit waterford…..also what’s the need for the vulgar username…?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

It appears that any gripes with rates, parking, rent and traffic are all bang on the money.

Let’s call a spade a spade here, what’s on offer in Waterford city is a disgrace. It says everything about what’s going on in there when the flagship retail premises we have is bloody Penneys. That’s absolutely shocking and people are right to give out and be pissed off about it. People aren’t going into town anymore, why would they? To spend an hour in traffic? To get blatantly ripped off with parking charges? There’s nothing on offer in the city centre. If there was, we wouldn’t have vacant units in the middle of town. We have the most unattractive city centre in the entire country and that’s a fact.

Shops that people go to for a specific reason, such as Fitzgeralds for a suit, will survive. But people aren’t going in browsing in shops because there’s nothing to entice people in. Look at the state of City Square for gods sake. It’s a total embarrassment. People can say I’m a moaner or whatever, and that’s fine. But at least I’m realistic and have a bit of cop on as to how bad things are. Anyone who’s happy with what’s on offer in Waterford at the moment, I feel sorry for you. The City Council and the cartel of business people (we all know who I’m talking about) have destroyed the city centre and the finger of blame is pointed directly at them and nobody else.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Good Grief 🙄

Obviously not, but people should be using public transport and cycling should also be considered a viable option. Obviously there are challenges with lack of safe cycle infrastructure but if that were to improve then cycling very much should be considered for those able. Kids love cycling after all :)

The same should happen to public transport, expand and improve it. Get some bus lanes and install some bus lane cameras to fine anyone driving in them. Make public transport cheaper and faster. The ultimate aim is to make driving into the city centre unattractive because people have other options.

At the end of the day this works in other europeon cities and it can work in Waterford, unless you are suggesting Waterford people are some how different?

People should want more for a city, not just build out more out of city retail and watch the centre die a death.

At the end of the day, what makes a city a interesting place is the buzz, the people. Not the traffic.

Post edited by Cabaal on

• Advertisement

Think you need to change your pseudo name to de-motivator and set up a waterford bashing site / campaign with that other misery guts ‘spank the monkey’ and ‘pull yourselves off’ this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I agree with you, but saying we need the proper infrastructure and getting it in place and up and running is another thing, what you have mentioned is years away like many many years, There is a huge amount of development being carried out over the past 10 years in housing and the numbers of families now living in the direction of six cross roads is huge, but there has been no proper bus routes cycle lanes even the traffic that is there is starting to bottle neck and tailing back past Foxwood, There's no bus service to Tramore or the City Centre, and its not like these places have sprung up over night there's a lack of planning and it cant be denied, just because someone has a difference of opinion alot of people lose claim that difference means your mad. I personally prefer the option of not going into town when I can avoid it.

One of many? well i don't have, but if there are many what makes you right? I do know for a fact many people have left business here in Waterford because of the rates they have to pay, I'm not making that up, I'm not imagining it, its a fact rates are high and i personally know people who have shut up shop because the rates they were paying were way too high.

I personally don't like City Square I think its too small and it doesn't offer decent enough shops in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

All the restaurants were full on a Saturday evening! So everything is great then. This is not an issue with Waterford in fairness. It is more about you and expecting the few restaurants you tried to have places when it suited you. There is more than a few restaurants in Waterford, there are loads. If you tried more I am sure you would have got something.

Post edited by BBM77 on

Define rates being too high. What local authority is charging the correct level of rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

One hour in traffic --- Where are you travelling from and where are you going to so that you are in traffic for one hour in the city centre?

blatantly ripped off with parking charges --- There are day rates of €3.60 in many car parks in the City. That is not being blatantly ripped off. If you want to park in a private carpark like City Square and pay €20 for the day - then be it on you.

…“People can say I’m a moaner or whatever, and that’s fine. But at least I’m realistic and have a bit of cop on as to how bad things are.”…

This is actually hilarious. You may well think you are, but in reality you are not being realistic in the slightest. The reality is Waterford city centre is holding its own in difficult circumstances. The reality is, when units become available, they fill quickly. The units in City Square are taking longer because of the change of owner and COVID. Compare that to other town and cities that were decimated by out of town shopping centres. Don’t care what anybody say, Waterford city centre is not dying or dead. There is a transition at the moment. Would not be surprised if the Debenhams, the front unit of city Square and Argos are all filled by the end of the year.

Nobody is disputing that city centre retail needs to improve in Waterford. But news of Waterford city centres death is greatly exaggerated. Some people seem to get off on saying it is dying. It is a bizarre attitude!

“The City Council and the cartel of business people (we all know who I’m talking about) have destroyed the city centre and the finger of blame is pointed directly at them and nobody else.”

We all don’t know what you are talking about, don’t have a clue what you mean!

Any truths contained in your lost are lost in the terrible negativity. Problems exist in difficullt times, but the parking thing and traffic for instance, are way over done, as other posters say.

I summarise your diatribe in nine words. "I see no positivity anywhere in Waterford city centre". Patently absurd and unhelpful to any realistic agenda.

I've helped strip out a few restaurants in my time and the last person told me its just too expensive the rates they have to pay and they have moved to Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Emanine

Just a few points -

Retail is struggling all over the world, not just in Waterford. Also, I see nothing wrong with the parking situation in Waterford. Yes, you have to walk for 5-10 minutes from some car parks. That's no big deal (if you are able, that is, but that's an argument for another day). Also if we want to help climate change, and I think most of us do, we're going to have to embrace healthier means of getting into town.

I also don't believe that its the responsibility of Waterford Council to improve Retail in the City Centre. We live in a free market economy lads. Demand and Supply. If you want to set up a shop in Waterford City Centre, there is nothing stopping you, once you have the capital to do it. The Council have made our City streets beautiful, you can walk most of the City without meeting a car. They are regenerating parts of the City to make them more people friendly and useful.

I firmly believe that if Zara, M&S, H&M, etc wanted to set up in Waterford, they would. But we seem to be lacking in suitable properties. And what I mean by 'suitable' is ones where the retailers have to do very little to set up. Retailers are closing shops in this climate, not opening them up, but if they were-- they would be weighing up all available locations. They'd look at population, footfall, general retail offering, average incomes, etc.

I think the North Quays change of plans, COVID etc really scuppered the growth of retail here, but that's what happened, and we have to deal with that.

One final thing, (and I am born and bred in Waterford), but we talk down our City (not a 'town') wayyy too much. It does have an effect on the general consensus. That negativity towards Waterford has the potential to affect tourism numbers, business tourism visitors, new business investment, Government investment, etc. People often speak about how 'Dungarvan is flying' and it does appear to be, but you never hear someone from Dungarvan talking in a negative way about the town.

Is Waterford a perfect place to live? - Define perfect?

Do we have a vibrant retail offering - No, but people have the power to change that. If you build it, they will come.

Are retail rents and rates high? Yes, probably - but that's the same in most cities, all over the world.

Do we need more shops -Yes. But the larger chains will only come here if footfall increases, and suitable properties become available.

Post edited by Emanine on

• Advertisement

Units dont fill quickly, and if they are emptying and filling just as quick says alot, how long is debenhams empty? theres a few other units accross from the music shop that have been boarded up permanently

Rates are set based on building type, sq ft and can not be adjusted overnight…..they are a know expense before a business sets up like other fixed costs such as rent, insurance, heat and light…..those who blame excessive rates solely on the failure of their business are not being honest with themselves or the shoulders like yours (complete with chips/sh1t) they cry on 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Retail isn’t dying in Waterford, it’s dead and long dead at that. If you can’t acknowledge what’s on offer is absolutely abysmal/borderline non existent, then I’ve no interest in even debating anything with you.

God help us, but you are determinded to be persistently negative. You never give up on it and even when a logical answer is given to the points you raise, you apparently forget it and return like a dog to vomit, in your next or subsequent posts. Debenhams closed in Apri 2020 at the start of the pandemic. Your posts remind me of a certain type of person from Co Kilkenny I worked with who would say if the Mona Lisa was on view in Waterford that they never went to see it because they "heard it was small". They seemed unable to conceive of anything positive in Waterford city. I worked, by the way, with many Wexford people as well and they were rarely, if ever, negative about Waterford. Quite the opposite in fact. It made me wonder.

Waterford city doesn't exist in a vacuum. Your commentary and others of a similar vein here, help create and worsen the problem you and they allegedly want to solve. Your use of the word"dump" in one of your origonal posts was grossly insensitive. Restaurants are closing all over Europe, including Noma in Copenhagen, arguably the most famous one in the world, in one of the richest cities. Shops are closing, pubs and restaurants all over Germany because of energy cost, staff cost and inflation.

I would bet my weeks wages that you have never been inside the Bishop's Palace or Medieval museum, or the Horological Museum or the Silver Museum, because your posts show a complete lack of understanding that our city centre has made huge strides in difficut times and that city centres everywhere realise (their councils I mean) that attractiveness depends on more than retail. I would also bet that you have not been in Shaws (who are trying very hard) nice shop any time recently.

No one denies our local deficits, some of which are severe and we all hope that they will be solved, but you have a fascination with Kilkenny that borders on the obscene. If you really like that town so much...? Waterford city has a completely different urban, commercial and business history.

Don't delude yourself. We are not debating, you are writing a load of BS, simple as that. Clarks is an example of what I am saying, unit is already gone. What can you give? Nothing but a negative tirade full of half truths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

A local authority taking in a good real of rates does have a major responsibility with the appearance of the city retail and leisure spaces. It is one of their biggest and hardest tasks. And in that regard, there are many positives here. Anyhow. a retailer who pays a good deal of rates is hardly asking too much that the Council makes it accessible and aesthetic. I would think more could also be done in respect of public transport and with the design and provision of cycling facilities, but that and many other issues mentioned relates to the severely dysfunctional ABP and local authority planning departments whose attitude to planning applications, policy and enforcement can be really random.

To be fair you are quite correct!

It was a spur of the moment outing & I wasn't going to walk the entirety of the town

looking for a table when in all probability they were already taken but I did eventually

get a table so the night ended well but I'll be booking a table well in advance in future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

We could have better bus lanes and cycle infrusture in a very short period of time if the council wanted it and people didn't fight every little change tooth and nail because they are so attached to their cars. It can be done, again its happened in other cities. Paris is a great example of a city that can change things in even less then a year.,

Advertisement