Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting a recessed bulb holder open

• 13-01-2023 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭

It sounds simple but I have not worked out how one is supposed to open these bathroom light enclosures in order the replace the bulb. Rotational force does not seem to be working and I cannot pull the unit down any further presumably due to wires holding it in place. Any ideas?

That bit that looks like a rip is actually a reflection...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@smuggler.ie

Actually it was a different type. Looks like the problem was me pulling out the entire unit, whereas the outer shell is supposed to remain in the ceiling..

Suppose correct technique is to try and get a flathead screwdriver between the lip on the ceiling cup and the outer bulb holder rim. Looking at the unit once the bulb is unscrewed I have the suspicion the bulb was also incorrectly installed. My gut instinct is the bulb is supposed to be clamped between those two black crescent-shaped clips rather than resting on the bottom of the holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Well "cup" should come out too, ho would you replace should you desire?

That I'm not sure about. I suspect the sparkey who installed it did a poor job as other times I've come across lights like this there has been a lot of slack left in the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Fitting was installed after ceiling done - there is no other way to access connector block to remove current fitting. So....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You get better light off the bulb with the bulb down like that. But yes, it's supposed to be clipped between the black holders.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it if you're fitting a LED bulb as the heat from those is significantly less than a halogen, so all of mine are fully inserted into the downlighter like in your photo.

@10-10-20

I wouldn't be too concerned about it if you're fitting a LED bulb as the heat from those is significantly less than a halogen, so all of mine are fully inserted into the downlighter like in your photo.

I'm inclined to agree but the amount of blackening I saw on the two blown bulbs and their recepticles certainly does not look normal, and I am pretty sure they were LEDs. That room has three ceiling lights which I think is overkill, so I would lean towards "proper" installation for the cooler running.

Advertisement