Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel like an eejit, how do I get these GU10 bulbs out?

Options
  • 08-01-2023 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm trying to replace some GU10 bulbs in these fittings, and I can't work out how I'm supposed to get them out.

I've attached a couple of pictures to show what I mean.

• The fitting only pulls out from the ceiling as far as I've pulled it down in the photo. It's held pretty tight past that.
    • The white surround doesn't seem to prise off, I've tried prying with some force but don't want to break it.
    • Twisting the surround doesn't seem to do anything.
    • There are a few of them, and each one seems to be the same.

Has anyone seen this type of fitting before and have any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Can the bulb twist out without removing the surround ?

Kitchen gloves are handy for gripping those bulbs

Otherwise the surround probably pulls out I presume, not familiar with that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Youi should be able to twist the bulb anticlockwise, perhaps pressing it in with a little force.

The fittings should have come with a little rubber 'sucker' which would attached to the bulb and make it easier to turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It might be a whole unit!

What's the brand or model on the sticker, or can you pull the whole unit out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Could be

Reminds me again why I don't like integrated equipment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

I know you said you tried turning the surround, but try and give it a slight twist anticlockwise again to see if they pop off. They look a little similar to the ones we have in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shockingaltogether

Update. I gave it twist in both directions and managed to work the white surround off which exposed screws, so making progress. Seems moving it left and right with a tight grip on the housing is the way to go to get it to let go. I must not have twisted enough before. Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shockingaltogether

You were right. It's one of these integrated units. It has a spring loaded holders on either side that was holding it in so tightly.

Unscrewing the screws I found released the bulb but I can't get it out without taking out the entire unit. Seeing the schematic for one of those integrated units gave me the confidence to give it a good strong pull down and you can see the spring loaded holders holding it in on the photo below.

At least now I know how to get them out. Bit of a pain in the arse (and dusty) but not too bad.

Appreciate the pointers from everyone. I'll tackle all of them in the next day or two (installing smart dimmable bulbs) and will post some more pics here in case anyone else comes across similar.

Advertisement