Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Louise Duffy Show - RTE Radio 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,112 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well, you never quite got the hang of the auld 'thinking' before posting did you? Must try harder etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,130 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

No, I didn’t Francie, you are quite correct, can barely handle one account.

What puzzles me is how some guys and maybe gals allegedly ran eight or nine accounts on this platform

as apparently recently happened. No way could that be true, I would be sure that couldn’t happen ?

I couldn’t even run run one properly as you rightly pointed out.

Must try harder………

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Happy Monday's on a Monday afternoon on RTE radio 1. You're twisting my melon man.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,076 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

followed by his once father in law, Donovan !!

• Registered Users Posts: 72,127 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

They call me Mellow Yellow!

QUITE RIGHTLY!!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭archfi

I've been tuning into this show for the past week or so, a rare decent presenter pick from RTE.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I really like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RINO87

Duuuuuuuusst in the Wiiiind 🙂

lovely selection of music again today

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

4 months in, and I think Louise's show is brilliant. Well done to her👌

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Seems we're all in shock RTE has done something right.

Have only caught the show on a few occasions in the car but always impressed by the music selection.

While on one hand I agree with Brendan. You're throwing a few songs together for an hour. How hard can it be.

But she (or someone on her behalf) seems to put a lot of work in putting together a very cohesive hour of music and she's pleasant enough to listen to.

Yes, Roxy Music, Microdisney and Toto....today was a good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭deise man

Was thinking the same. Music choices today were class. Had my doubts when louise got the job but I'm finding it a really enjoyable show

• Registered Users Posts: 19,130 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The Collins cartel dissipated fairly sharpish , don’t you think?

Poor lad languishing on Gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Expunge

Hauld on there Bren, till we see a couple of JNLR surveys.

With the universal praise the lady is getting on this thread, I'm nervous it may not go so well for her in the listenership survey stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I miss Ronan Collins' show. Nice easy listening bubble gum for the mind, just what you need between 12 and 1...amoungst the hard hitting current affairs.

Not sure what the Louise Duffy show is trying to be. Today there was brand new music and what might be considered 'alternative' tracks. She seems to be auditioning to take over from John Creedon. Personally I think it's the wrong time of day, for that type of show.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

I'd be happy with both Collins and Duffy. Give some of the wafflers the boot.

ya room for them both. D'Arcy would be grand shipped to gold till whatever ridiculous high contract he is on is over

Yep, I agree...In an ideal world we would have both.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the Louise Duffy show, but that's not to say I prefer it to Ronan's. The music choice is good (still a little middle of the road, but she's getting there), but the personality of Ronan's show is just not there. Plus you'd miss Ronan's "traditions" and some of his more off the wall choices...Yodeling for example!

Even if they reduced the actual Ronan Collins show down to one day a week, I think could have worked. But the voice tracking on Gold is not that great at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭enricoh

Was down the country yesterday n my usual radio station was out of range. Tuned into this n was an hour of pure bliss - only down point was 2 minutes of Joe Duffy near the end of it telling us what misery he was peddling after it! Top class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ZaK23-54

Well done Louise

So disappointed that Ronan is just bored on Gold - voice tracking is not radio.

Am I correct to say that the only live shows on Gold are Will Leahy, Rick O Shea and Micky Macs 70’s show?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ZaK23-54

Well done Louise

So disappointed that Ronan is just bored on Gold - voice tracking is not radio.

Am I correct to say that the only live shows on Gold are Will Leahy, Rick O Shea and Micky Macs 70’s show?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Hah, you could have a good point there re Creedo!

This lady has a problem, it's all very well to put together and play a few nice songs. But you also need a bit of character coming through. And on that score, all she comes across is as nicey, nicey. Music is OK but the rest of the package is pretty bland imho.

Down 9000 listeners since the last survey.

In fairness she only arrived mid way through the period surveyed.

Still, there's a lot of the 'Dickie' crowd to be burned off before she can build her own audience. It'll be a bumpy year for her and her 2 producers.

She inherits an audience from the morning current affairs show. Just a question of how many she can keep tuned in. I doubt if very many actually tune in specifically to the Louise Duffy show, she can't really build a filler slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I, personally, would never listen to radio 1 day time shows during the week. She’s got me turning the dial once Pat Kenny’s show finishes.

Most RTÉ listeners never move the dial, the radio is never off. Having someone like Louise Duffy will attract new, younger, listeners and this is badly needed for when, over the next 10-20 years, those radios get turned off never to be turned on again.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

You see, the problem with this is RTE thought the same about hiring Ray D'arcy. He has lost a fair amount of listeners in that slot over the years, although he was up a little bit in that last book.

It is far from a given that Louise Duffy will even make it back up to the 220,000 odd listeners than Ronan Collins could get in the past.

She does deserve a good 24 months there to bed it down, I would think.

You may well be right but if there are a few more of these types of losses in future books, maybe we can conclude that listeners considered it more than just a filler slot when Ronan was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

There should be a tribunal to uncover what they were thinking bringing back Ray D’Arcy.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement