Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Louise Duffy Show - RTE Radio 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,264 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

‘Cut Your Hair’ by Pavement!

Good call, Mr. Cuddihy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Dunno - Muinteoir Ray can be a bit much this time of the day! Switched to Newstalk and good old ding dong row about road usage charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭RINO87

Oh christ no, give me any sort of music over that nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I'm totally new to listening to radio this past month. Well, not since my days of cursing Dave Fanning for talking over the end of a song I was trying to tape.

I have to say I'm really enjoying Louise Duffy's show. She plays a great and very varied selection of music. You never know what you might hear.

Ray Cuddihy is also very enjoyable this week. A bit more personality than Louise but still focused on the tunes. I would definitely listen to him if he had his own show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

She's the best decision RTE have made in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,607 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

That and poaching Sarah McInerney from Newstalk.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I gather that this used to be the Ronan Collins slot? I never heard him at all so can't comment on the change, but it was my father's favourite radio slot. He wasn't happy when Ronan moved on, but he still listens in to Louise. I don't think he enjoys it as much as Ronan, but there's few complaints either.

Question: does RTE have a business interest in the upcoming All Together Now festival??

Listening to Louise Duffy on RTE radio this morning and she must have mentioned it and her gig there at least three times in less than 30 minutes. Would All Together Now be paying for this free advertising. Is she abusing her position with product placement on the air.

Four mentions now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Intriguing 🤔

If Alltogether Now are paying for the product placement/Adverts and I think it has to be highlighted by the broadcaster that the programme contains adverts, then that's fine.

If they are NOT

.... Then it's pretty tone deaf from Louise given the current issues at RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Shes doing a live show from there this weekend, not sure if it's being broadcast live.

• Advertisement

It's being broadcast on Radio 1 on Sunday evening at 6.30pm.

Ok.. who's paying her for this gig do you know? Is this on her RTE time and her time there paid by RTE?

Or is she being paid by the promoters of All Together and the show being broadcast to RTE??

More detail needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

It's pretty common for radio stations to do shows like this from festivals, Newstalk have done it in the recent past. I don't know the details but I wouldn't think it's dodgy. i'd imagine she is being paid by RTE

Rte have had a presence at ATN the last few years in the spoken word area and have done shows from there. The RTE concert orchestra are playing with Max Richter this year too, so they do have some sort of relationship

Yes and this type of arrangement would have flown under the radar till recently. The Oireachtas committees though threw up lots of questions about the relationship between the public service & commercial aspects of RTE. And how complicated it can be.

So I wouldn't assume anything about this particular arrangement in light of what we heard.

It's not unusual to hear presenters give a wee plug here & there to a pet project and that kinda goes with the territory. What I picked up on this morning was more than that though, several mentions of this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭squonk

I do hope it’s an RTE decision rather than a Louise solo run. I like her too much to think she’s fallen into the Doireann Garihy/Lottie Ryan mould.

Surely RTE must be on top of it if they are choosing to broadcast her festival slot outside her usual radio show?

Possibly, probably but given what has been partially revealed in the Oireachtas hearings - it should be clearer to the public when RTE & presenters are involved with commercial ventures. I wouldn't assume anything anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Expunge

No mention of RTE being a media partner anywhere on the All Together Now Website.

RTE Concert Orchestra joining Max Richter for a gig there too. Not sure if this is just the promoter hiring the band or what.

There is a link from the RTE CO webpage to buy tickets from the ATN website but no mention of a partnership between RTE or anything.

Max Richter & RTÉ Concert Orchestra (rte.ie)

Murky and messy.

To bring a 50 + piece orchestra and place them in a field in CO. Waterford is a very expensive undertaking. I'd love to know if the promoter is paying full whack + the inevitable expenses to be claimed by the musicians, a number of days rehearsals etc.

If not, what is the deal.... a recording and later broadcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭enricoh

FFS radio DJs have been playing at festivals for as long as I can remember. Annie Mac, Mr spring , etc etc

• Advertisement

100%...in fact its great seeing their presence. The 2FM roadcaster use to do all day broadcasts from the festivals back in "the day"

Positively 4th Street 🙂

I think this is the first Bob Dylan song that I "got". Love hearing it. Fantastic keyboard tone too!

It's a shame we have to listen to the Liveline promo in the middle of such a great, and already too short, show. Such dreary topics, a real downer listening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Red Fred

They should stick it on at the end of The CB Show although Joe would probably kick up about having to come in earlier.

Yes, and we all kinda accepted it as read. But the recent Oireachtas hearings and revelations re perks etc., barter accounts and false invoicing shone a bit of light onto some of these arrangements. Look at Marty with his free use of a car for years, look at Tubridy and others using their celebrity status to promote commercial goods and events and the way money was routed around.

When I read a newspaper and Advertising Feature is writ large across the top corner, I know I'm reading advertorial and that the company being promoted has paid for this. An influencer on social media is now required to state they are in receipt of goods or payment etc.

When I listen to RTE radio though, there is no guidance to differentiate between random casual plugs and recommendations/ mentions/ plugs that are part of a financial for money or bartering with the commercial event concerned. You'd always have been a little aware of it with the likes of Tubridy as he was forever mentioning this and plugging that. But recently my ears have become more attuned to it. The All Together Now event was one such thing here as it prominently mentioned by Louise yesterday. It'd be good to know the exact nature of the exchange of services here between RTE and ATN.

When does public service broadcasting cross over into commercial promotion??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,803 ✭✭✭squonk

I mentioned on the Liveline thread that there was an ad yesterday for a Michael McIntyre show coming up. It was clear enough it was an ad. However at the end there was a sting something like “Comedy updates provided by RTE Radio 1”. I haven’t got the right wording but it’s similar. My ears pricked up because I started to wonder do RTE have some interest in this show in the background? Either that or it’s like a weird case where they don’t want to carry comedy show ads but do it under some weird public service disclaimer. Given strange behaviour like this it’s not too much I think to ask what exactly the connection is between RTE and ATN. I know DJs have been doing shows from festivals since radio started almost but I don’t have high expectations of RTE right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭littlevillage

You would have to assume its some kind of partner arrangement. ATN pay a fistful of cash and throw in some free tickets etc. and in return they get some exposure on the Radio (random plugs disguised as editorial/news, competitions etc. ) and get some appearances from the RTE "talent" at the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Half of RTE are going to the Fleadh as well. There's obviously some sort of official arrangement for these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,176 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

RTE presenter abusing their position!!!

How dare you Sir!!!

Advertisement