Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before the smoking ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

When Kilkenny were being presented with the Liam McCarthy Cup after winning the All-Ireland Hurling Final in 1967, 3 of the players were lighting up cigarettes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Clawing your way through a cloud of smoke to get to the bar. The eyes would be burnt out of ya. The stench off your clothes the following morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Watch reeling in the years on RTE and you'll see a lot of I appropriate smoking , inappropriate in todays world anyway.

Some I remember off hand were newsreaders with a smoke in their ashtray burning away, football subs in inter County gaa and the likes of Big UN Council meetings. All smoking away not a bother.

I used to smoke as a teenager in the 90s and local shops would mostly sell kids cigarettes, even as singles because they wouldn't have money for a full box. 10 packs were a thing then, were about £1.30 and a single would be 20p.

10 packs discontinued and minimum of 20 packs then. I believe they are around 18 euro now which will hopefully price people out of it.

I don’t smoke myself but winced in pain at a posh girl in the golden circle at Metallica at slane freaking out because someone smoked

I worked for a multi national in Dublin around 2000 and there was a coffee doc in the canteen of which half was smoking 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,267 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I’d be retiring from work, and going full time reporting, if I could get that bounty here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

My first boss smoked heavily and I detested it when he was in the office or we had to go on site work in his car. Luckily only worked there for a year or two and he was out more often than in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭HBC08

I was going to say most airports have smoking areas but when I think about it its mostly Asian airports,maybe some of the bigger European ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

My Primary school bus driver was a chain smoker. So got 1-2 hours a day of passive smoking for 8 years of primary school and i think first 2 years of secondary until a non smoking driver took over, hopefully not much damage done but I still can remember him pulling out the slim pack of Majors.

Funny how there things that would be just unacceptable now, like at our secondary school you were allowed to smoke after Junior Cert if you had a note from you parent, that was the late 90's.

I worked recently for a German company and was surprised they still have smoking rooms in their office building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I can remember being in an army barracks in the late 80s and the cook dishing out the food with an unlit cigarette behind his ear , in the background other cooks smoking away preparing the food.

No harm though , the ash and smoke probably improved the taste of the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,782 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Glad it's changed, easy to avoid places that stink.

Cigars and pipe tobacco don't smell too bad but I can't fathom why anyone would think the smell of ciggies are pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Knockmore, one of Mayo's top gaelic football teams, were known as 'the nicotine 15' in my youth...

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭manutd2007

14.90 a box, most of the young people smoke roll-ups or vape, also the stats say smoking is decreasing when people are buying the fags of the foreigner down the street for cheap

You think that idling engines that produce toxic emissions outside schools, shops, football pitches is a good idea?

no but how would you enforce it lol, maybe concentrate on the earth size factories your mobile phone comes from the worlds cheque book while the rest of the world pays for it 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I remember when people could smoke in bars and nightclubs and you'd come home smelling like an ashtray. I don't the know the nightclubs always seemed a lot steamier and hotter in those days, maybe it was the combination of the smoking and dry ice in the place that did it. Then in my first job they had a smoking room, I remember going into it once and the nicotine was dripping off the walls and ceiling, everything was that yellow colour. I worked in a bar in the early 2000's in England and they could still smoke in the bar over there then, but the bar I worked in had a rule that customers couldn't smoke at the close to the bar, even had a line on the floor to say where you couldn't smoke.

They manage to enforce it in n other countries , so it’s not beyond our capabilities. Like most traffic laws, we would probably enforce it very poorly and very lightly.

But even the act of declaring it illegal would be a big help for those who are prepared to ask others to just switch off their engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

As a vehement anti-smoker I disagree. It's outside. But I agree that the smoking ban was one of the best pieces of legislation this country ever brought in. And before someone says it masked the smell of farts in pubs, it didn't. You just got the worst of both worlds. Stinking fags and stinking arses.

I remember the 80's and there was smoking practically everywhere. Going on a bus journey was like a mobile Auschwitz and in the winter it was nearly unbearable, because it was coupled with condensation from everyone's breath and stifling body heat. Any trip longer than 30 minutes was pure hell.

The next morning after a night out in a boozer you reeked of other people's minging fag breath. It was in your hair, your clothes, on the bed. Everywhere.

I'm so glad it's a thing of the past. It's fucking disgusting.

What's surprising these days that there are still so many people willing to make themselves a slave to it. It's one of the most peculiar of human habits.

• Advertisement

When I was a kid, the dentist would smoke a cigar while doing the examination, wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭ThePentagon

Watched the episode of Scannal recently looking back on the introduction of the smoking ban in 2004. I had forgotten just how much of a stink (pun intended) so many people were making about it at the time, as if the fabric of Irish society would collapse. In particular the behaviour of some reps from the Vintners Association looks terribly desperate in retrospect. Fair play to Micheal Martin for driving through such a far-sighted policy, particularly considering the amount of opposition to it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I was with Kate Moss in the Kitchen nightclub in 1993.

Now she was schmokin....

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

I remember that too. When I was in primary school, in the 1970's, our teacher smoked in the classroom while teaching and every day (or whenever she needed to replenish her supplies) she would send two students together to the shop to buy cigarettes for her. You'd be thrilled when it was your turn to go.

Seems completely insane now, sending tiny tots off to the shops during school time to buy cigarettes but it was completely normal to us at the time. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

We’re you ‘with’ her or was she just there….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭newmember2

I remember the 80's and there was smoking practically everywhere. Going on a bus journey was like a mobile Auschwitz and in the winter it was nearly unbearable, because it was coupled with condensation from everyone's breath and stifling body heat. Any trip longer than 30 minutes was pure hell.

Would make one wonder how we ever survived it at all at all. Like you say...very much like Auschwitz those buses...in the eighties.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They’ve got hard on smokers in Schipol Airport Amsterdam.

declared their terminals smoke free. Was in Amsterdam in 2014 and you could smoke in one of the pubs there, after security if my memory is correct. Actually checked and yes it was Murphys bar, Schipol airport…allowed smoking with your pint / grub.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Murphy's hasn't reopened since COVID. It had a smoking room out back rather than allowing smoking in the main bar

The overall airport also had some smoking rooms but I think they're all gone. This is in a country with a much higher general smoking rate than Ireland too.

There is only one limited smoking area in T1 airside in Dublin, of no use to transfer passengers. It's becoming normal that you don't have a smoking option on transfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I've smoked on all modes of transport except for plane in the last 5 years, here why do they still have ashtrays on plane toliots still? Yet ya face a €3,000 fine and a ban from flying for a year

Advertisement