Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before the smoking ban

Options
  • 07-01-2023 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

I remember when people smoked in pubs and restaurants. I vaguely remember people smoking on buses and I vaguely remember smoking in shops. We're people allowed to smoke in shops?

Killnascully is on and there was a scene with someone in hospital. I know its tv and not everything is true on TV but he was smoking on the ward on the TV. Were people allowed to smoke in hospitals before the cigarette ban.

The best thing to happen was the smoking ban in Ireland. They should take it further now and ban smoking from doorways and bus stops.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

remember trains had a smoking carriage and designated smoking areas in restaurants.

night clubs were the worst. on the dance floor and everyone smoking.

is it banned in cars with children now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Upstairs on the bus was for smoking. Also there were smoking carriages on trains.

Also smoking on planes

i always get worried on planes with the little ashtrays. how old is this thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

there were smoking rooms in hospitals like common areas generally on each floor.

A lot of smokers end up in hospitals you know?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There was a room on the hospital ward where people smoked. I don't recall smoking in the ward itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I remember a sign in Xtravision about no smoking. I don't believe smoking in shops really being a thing. You did not go to Spar or a butcher or pharmacy smoking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Teachers could smoke while teaching a class at one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭glitterIsland

That must be going back a long time. It wasn't in my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Smoking carriages on the inter city trains were the best

if there was smoking there was drinking

and probably a ghetto blaster

paradise lost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Some college lecture halls still have big 'no smoking' signs up. Probably from the 80s

I remember smoking was allowed on coaches - it was awful. Distinctly remember a mammy pushing a trolley around Quinnsworth with a benson in her lips and a tot on top of trolley. It was not allowed, but ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭redmenace1

• Registered Users Posts: 81,267 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why did people never smoke at mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I remember in the square tallaght smoking was allowed. Specifically in the common indoor areas (non shop). Also people smoking in the Burger King there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭gipi

I remember being in hospital in the mid 80s, and a woman in the bed across from me used to ask the nurse to turn off her oxygen so she could smoke....

Don't remember any teachers smoking in class, but one teacher I had used to "step out" 2 or 3 times during a 40 min class for a smoke!

There was no ban on smoking in offices up to the late 90s, the woman who sat across from me was a chain smoker - it was vile!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There was smoking in the wards before the smoking rooms. Doctors smoked as they did their rounds too.

And of course there was smoking in shops by customers and staff.

Im roaring laughing at the idea of doctors smoking doing the rounds on the wards. What year was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

From 2nd to 6th class I had two teachers who both smoked in class in front of us.

Probably half or more of my class mates smoked when ever they got a chance then also.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's mental when you think about it! Such a shift in societal attitudes.

Will we think of alcohol in a similar way in the future?

F*cking hell. I'm laughing at the first bit of your post but of course it wouldnt be funny with the dangers of oxygen and fire.

• Advertisement

I remember smoking on busses etc. in shopping centres, even in a place I worked just before the ban had a room. I don't ever recall anyone smoking in a supermarket back then?

College late 90's had a room off the canteen for smoking, wasn't allowed anywhere else within the buildings.

I did a stint working in pubs and clubs back then and the brown you'd wash off of your clothes and self was disgusting and I say that as someone who did smoke back then.

But you know what we were out over Christmas and I was out side with my brother who still smokes and I'd rather the smell of real cigarettes vs that sick sweet smell of the vapes, bad if it's one person in passing but in a smoking area where there was maybe a dozen or so of them 🤮

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The men were standing outside. Not all men, those with families would stay together

Seats inside were for women and children. Many men would never sit and would either stand at the back of the church or stand outside.Maybe it's a football terrace thing, dunno.

I believe this was in the Richard Harris film The Field. A gang of men standing outside the front door while mass was going on. More gossiping than women!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭ablelocks

The saddest thing that I'd ever seen

Were smokers outside the hospital doors

some boarding schools had smoking rooms for 5/6th year students if parents gave consent. wonder what the age requirement was then? think that stopped late 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Good question. I reckon it was maybe mid 70s that I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

I remember visiting the grandad on St Johns hospital in Limerick and he smoking on the ward in the 80s

I remember smoking sections on most airlines through most of the 90s . I was a smoker myself and I remember it slowly being banned across Europe in offices across the 90s . Then finally being surprised at being able to smoke at the desk in a bank in Portugal in 2002 or whenever . All gone now and given up many years ago

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Smoking inside shops was rare; except you'd sometimes find tiny shops where the owner was smoking themselves. Common areas in the indoor shopping centres usually had smoking bans but the older ones, e.g. the Square mentioned up-thread, would have had smoking originally. Much of the original interior there was brown tinged by design, handily!

Most restaurants and cafes were down to a small smoking section, if at all, by the time of the ban. Very few offices allowed smoking, the Civil Service had banned in many years before but you would still find exceptions - particularly small businesses where the owner smoked.

Going to NI for the few years until they brought theirs in was always a bit of a surprise; as it still is going to suitably small bars in Denmark/Portugal/Netherlands where they have ban exceptions. I do remember going to see a DJ in NI for Paddys Weekend 2007; having Bensons and cans inside a nightclub made it feel like he was playing a gaff party.

Great uncle of mine died due to the oxygen supply and cigarette 'problem' in the 80s - albeit in Chicago, not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

I remember in my first ‘office job’ in the late 90’s you could smoke in your office if you had your own office or if you shared with people who didn’t object. One aul lad had an office to himself and smoked manky cheap cigars, you could smell them as soon as you entered the building and everywhere inside. It was grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Smoking in the cinema.

smoking in restaurants

smoking on planes

smoking in dressing rooms (sports)

smoking on buses (top deck)

smoking in the office and the canteen

Smoking in lap dance clubs

• Advertisement

Advertisement