Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Peak Events notification

Options
  • 06-01-2023 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭

Tonight 8 to 10pm

Could you plan to put on a wash outside of these hours? If so, a lower temperature uses between 35-59% less electricity than a wash on high temperature. As well as this, simple steps like ensure all the lights in unoccupied rooms are switched off in your house. 

Try to avoid ironing tonight, did you know if you hang your garment in the bathroom after a shower the hot steam will remove the creases naturally. Please ensure the room is fully ventilated once finished to avoid any condensation issues. 

I was thinking why not have a thread dedicated for these? some of us are signed up for text/email alerts - might be useful reminder to have it posted here as well.

It's the beat the peak pilot scheme of you want to get texts for it. Possible reward card but not guaranteed.

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/who-we-are/beat-the-peak/is-this-a-good-time

Post edited by yankinlk on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

They must be expecting a lot of people putting the kettle on for Tubridy's return. 😣

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Where did you get that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

There's one now tomorrow morning, 9-11,

Advice is.. don't use dishwasher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭DC999

That's the 1st I've got that's for a morning. Have all been 4-8pm so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I didn't get that one. They must be doing A/B testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

just signed up out of curiosity... btw, A\B testing?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

We don't all get the same messages. A/B testing is a way to send different content to different people so sender can check the impact.

Or depending on the nature of how you respond, they might send different messages. After each ESB notification, we get asked the next day to select from a dropdown if we followed the action, took no action, took another action...

So they may tailor the message depending on how people respond. Example would be someone who donates a large amount to a charity. The charity wouldn't want to ask them for €5 if they give 5 grand and are a major donor.

I wonder is it region based.

Weather warning for wind too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I wonder do they tailor these to your consumption..

EG Hello Mr Elm, I see you consume an average of 1kWh per day of day rate therefore we would appreciate if you could take this 1kWh at a different time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I don't think so, not yet anyway. They asked me to not run dishwasher this morning. My gawd they don't even know me at all... That runs at 11pm

Yeah, nothing like that for me so far. It's very much an initial pilot I reckon. Two ‘themes’ of messages I get. 1st is to load shift to another time to help the grid. 2nd is education on cost of different devices.

1. Load shift ones have been really simple steps for people. Which is a good starting point I guess. Single request per message. ‘Please run the tumble dryer outside those hours if possible’ type thing. Yesterday's one was to run the dishwasher outside that time. Really it’s a pilot at this stage I guess. And even the selections on the survey after each one are basic. ‘Did you do the requested task, something else, nothing…’
    2. Then some messages are about education / knowledge to reduce costs, not asking for a specific action. That keeping a fridge door opened for 1min X times a day = Y hours of watching TV. So the yare giving us a comparisons that X hours of this = y hours of this device.
    3. I get some on email, some on text

And for those of us not on smart meters, they’d have no way to verify what we answered with did happen. IE, I did reduce consumption for 2 hours this morning. They wouldn’t be doing that house by house of course, but rolled up for all smart meters in the pilot. If they can even do such a thing.

I feel this messaging would help those less aware. Would help my parents, even my siblings. It’s less of benefit to me, but am interested in it. 

I run our dishwasher so it's finished when we get up in the morning. Works on any dishwasher that 'remembers' the setting it's on when powered off and on with a smart plug). 'Free' heater for the kitchen

Ah same.. just realised I'm running the barley roller right now.. coming from batteries anyway.

Yeah they can't see it on an individual level, but can see it on a grid level, depending on the size of the pilot.

That being said again. I'm on 98.4% night rate so I'm not a good source of data.

The 1.6% has been automation failure& ramp up of the inverter after a long standby time + general variance

I do feel that this is leading towards agile pricing. Norway already has this pretty widespread. As a solar/battery enthusiast I like the idea but I think it penalises those who can afford it least, the most. Watching Bjorn's videos he often makes reference to his domestic electricity rate being priced at a 30minute interval going from 7c to 70c+ in a day.

Semi OT: Norway is crazy, they went from universal free electricity to agile pricing in less than 30 years. We're still in a situation where smart meters cannot even be used for day night rates!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

That ironing one is absolute claptrap anyway, if I did that I'd be sanctioned within a few days for wearing scruffy shirts to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

: re

Try to avoid ironing tonight, did you know if you hang your garment in the bathroom after a shower the hot steam will remove the creases naturally. Please ensure the room is fully ventilated once finished to avoid any condensation issues. 

It's water vapour: if it were hot steam, the creases on you skin, especially around the nether regions, as well as the skin would be removed, naturally of course

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

That isnt smoke, it's steam. Steam from the energy conservation I've been doing. Mm mm, energy conservation.

Well elm, you're an odd fellow, but I must say, you steam a good shirt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

sounds like folk signed up to this are already "converted", perhaps not the target audience

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Peak event today 4-8

Suggest moving loads earlier in the day or later on tonight.. That reminds me, I have a wash to put on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

I just finished what appeared to be the final survey about the peak events.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I completed the survey and suggested they split the messaging. At moment it's all fairly basic, which is brill for likes of my folks or siblings as a starting point. I suggested if someone has a D/N, or registered micro gen, or a smart meter that is load-shifting already....chances are that house knows more than the average. So could do with other types of messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Talking to someone only today and apparently all the big data centers have been told to run on their back up generators and good few times over the past few months. This will result in an increase in our (country's) CO2 levels and Ryan doesn't want to build a LNG plant in Shannon that would be a lot cleaner...out of principle

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Or.. it could be the ‘stick’ for them to try lower usage at those times. Running on their generators adds risk as they are primarily there as the backup power source.

If they are owned by companies that provide their own services, they may have some leeway to maybe ramp stuff down at certain times of the day (like Amazon AWS). So certain maintenance work or stuff not time dependent could be postponed. They can also quickly move traffic to other countries - which they do when there is a failure at a data center anyway. But data centers that sell space can’t do that of course.

In the past really heavy electricity users (like concrete making plants) got incentives (‘the carrots’) to run their own generators at peak times. That happened about 20 years ago, no idea if still is the case. In a modern sense, data center are like those I guess. Ok, that’s bad for the environment and makes those stats disappear from the overall grid stats.

In summer the data centers need huge juice for their cooling. I recall that some were looking to run centres at hotter temps. Means some kit will fail more quickly but again if it’s all their own kit (like Amazon AWS), they can do that. And I know some were looking at more passive cooling options. Ideally they would be in the coolest climate for that passive cooling. But they are here now, and lots of them

Looks like another pilot is starting/being extended

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Wonder what criteria they are using to select the pilot group. I didn't get a voucher first time round.

I made sure getting rewarded was of the most importance in all of the surveys

I got the 1st voucher and am getting a 2nd. I replied to all the surveys (post a message) to confirm I'd followed their recommendation or my own (which I had). Teacher's Pet :) Also suggested in the final survey that being rewarded would help adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

How do we sign up for vouchers :)

😎

• Advertisement

Advertisement