Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Poor run from Mawdlesley. She looked devastated at the end

womens 60m semis set up a great final. Neita looked so strong and then Kambundji equalled her time slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

Did somebody actually pay to send those 2 RTE donkey commentators to the Games .

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Disappointed Klosterhalfen got out-kicked. Good race in the men's 1500m, Ingebrigtsen had to work hard to hold off Gourley.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Both Thiam and Sulek broke the Pentathlon world record, but Thiam wins the gold.

Olatunde well out of it in the 60m SF's, only finished 7th. Maybe 60m just a bit too short for him?

Easy qualifications for both McElhinney and Lavin this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Olatunde says he only arrived in Turkey 12 hours before his heat because of passport issues and felt he wasn't quite at his best.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Muir didn't look quite right at all the last couple of days but still walks away with the gold.

Easy gold for Bol in the 400, glad to see Klaver get the silver. Warholm went out in 20.85 but managed to hold on for gold in the men's 400, whilst Jacobs got beaten by compatriot Ceccarelli in the 60m.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Golds going to plan this evening so far. Great run from our boy in the 3k. I know we'll say, what if he had been braver but it's easy to say looking back. Got to within about .6 of a bronze. Top two were much too good, as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I have to say that was my initial thought as well, but then you look at West and see how much he faded. Hard to argue with a personal best in a final.

Just caught up on today's action, wow at Darragh McElhinney! So close! He must be gutted, but it's a big step forward. Seems to be utilising different tactics too, seems to be hanging around the back more and then works his way up towards the final few laps. Interesting to see where he'll go from here.

• Advertisement

This seems to have gone under the radar slightly, Eilish McColgan beat Paula Radcliffe's 10,000m British record last night, missing a sub 30 by less than a second!

She's currently training for her marathon debut in London, looks like it's going pretty well so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Hamachi

It was a good run by Darragh. Such a shame he just missed catching Bibic for the bronze. Very raw interview with David Gillick after the race; he was in tears with frustration on missing the podium. It's a good sign for the future though. He's clearly hungry for success and I can envisage him winning European medals and reaching global finals as his talent matures.

Sarah Lavin also had a decent championships. She comfortably made the final with a big Q, but unfortunately under-performed from lane 8, finishing in sixth. It was still a solid result overall and she is clearly developing the belief that she belongs at this level.

Not a terrific championship from an Irish perspective overall. Medals were always going to be difficult to come by, with Mark English and Ciara Mageean out of action. Hopefully, the outdoor season will bring some further impressive results, with Mageean building on her 2022 season and Rhasidat Adeleke competing in Europe. I'm also excited to see what Jack Raftery and Nick Griggs can produce. I have a sneaking suspicion this summer could see significant break-throughs from both. Sharlene Mawdsley also ran a 51-flat relay leg, the third quickest after Femke Bol and Lieke Klaver. I hope she can reproduce this form outdoors and drive down her PB to low 51.xx.

Post edited by Hamachi on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great performance. Radcliffe herself discussed it on the BBC coverage of the Indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

This was phenomenal, she can't seem to put a foot wrong in the last year. I'm really looking forward to see what she does in London, mindful it's her debut of course. I noticed she had her knee strapped up and she mentioned somewhere on social media that the longer miles required for marathon training were definitely taking a toll on her in terms of niggles so hopefully she will stay injury free for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Anyone know if there will be an accessible (to this part of the world) live stream for the NCAA indoor Champs this weekend? Not sure of time it's on but would like to see how Rhasidat Adeleke gets on!

• Subscribers Posts: 686 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

I think it's to be shown on ESPN+

Schedule: https://flashresults.ncaa.com/Indoor/2023/index.htm

Adeleke in the prelims @ Friday 4:25 PM (23:25 GMT - I think)

Final is Sat 4:20 PM (23:20 GMT)

If any of that is wrong, please correct!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think those times are correct alright. hopefully might be able to find something on youtube to watch the races.

Hmmmm, good luck. NCAA, and some other organisations, seem to be very protective of the videos at least for 24 hours or more. I mean, they'll eventually pop up but of course by then we'll know the result, time and so on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I guess we will see later on, I'd hope ESPN would make something available internationally. No mention of it on the ESPN player on their schedules.

• Subscribers Posts: 686 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

It's on ESPN+ I've seen that mentioned on 2 or 3 different websites. I've access to 3 or 4 different ESPN+ stations, I'm not sure what way it works, maybe ESPN offers regional programming in the US. Either way, I hope to get it on one of them.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a43262368/how-to-watch-ncaa-indoor-track-championships-2023/

• Advertisement

Turns out there are a lot of races already on Youtube. Adeleke....... ok.

Couldn't get a live stream last night, hoping for better luck tonight.

Seems to be very few people in the arena, like the NIA live events in Abbotstown.

50.45, pretty much a solo run, 2nd heat to come. Bizarre way to organise a final.

Winner went 49.48, 2nd fastest all time. Really disappointing way to organise a 'final'. Looks like Adeleke was 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm guessing Wilson would have pulled Adeleke to an even faster time. Adeleke effectively had to run her own race as a time trial - and it sounds like she went off too fast in her own heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Separate final heats is such an awful idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Andrew Coscoran 29:30 today on the 50th Tubbercurry 10km. Absolutely savage running on a really hilly/hard course. New course record beating the previous one of 30:15 held by Mark Morgan Swansea Harriers since 1997. Great turnout by Dublin Track Club thanks to Feidhlim Kelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭GolfPar

I think that's his first time ever racing over 10K. He has run very few 5K's either. Great time when you mention the course but he would be well used to the Hills.

Advertisement