Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I've ran the 3k in Armagh 3 times, including this year, always drags me to a season's best even in February and happy to get schooled in overall position.

What makes the races great is a combination of the depth in quality and large number of supporters, there's a volume of noise, particularly the last 300 which must be 5-6 deep all the way.

The course is just ok, not pancake flat and the surface is pretty uneven, but because of the depth if you take your foot off the gas for 2 seconds, you'll be passed by 3 or 4 runners which keeps you in the zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭joe35

Was at this year and last. Last year I thought was a better atmosphere. Shane Healy got the o50 world record for 5k.

I got the program and think I saw it was only 150stg for first place. Very small prize money for such a talented field. It is a great race to go to view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Couple of Irish results of note this weekend.

Luke McCann ran 3.53 in the Wannamaker mile at the Millrose games yesterday.

Sharlene Mawdsley set a significant new indoor PB of 51.91 over 400m in Metz. For context, her outdoor PB is 51.70. If she can achieve some consistency at this level, she could do well at European indoors.

Meanwhile, in that same 400m race in Metz, the incredible Femke Bol ran 49.96, the fourth fastest indoor time in history and the fastest time in the world since 2004. With Shaunae Miller-Uibo out this year on maternity leave, Bol should really consider the flat 400. What an amazing athlete she is.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Love Bol, such a great ambassador for the sport. Never afraid to show up and race and never ducks opponents either. Really hope she gets a world or Olympic gold some day, she's too good not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The two best 400m runners might be 400m hurdlers. Eek

• Advertisement

100% agree. It’s also admirable how respectful she is of her rivals. She’s a class act all the way.

I read an interview with a couple of her colleagues (not Lieke Klaver) in the Dutch 4x400 squad. They mentioned how much she respects them and values their contributions, even though she’s clearly the superstar.

Mad to think she’s still only 22 or has recently turned 23.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Lievin is one to watch tonight! Broadcast on YouTube 8-10pm our time.

Ingebrigtsen and Tsegay are looking to break their own respective 1500m world records, whilst Girma, Krop and Fisher are making a WR attempt in the 3000m.

We also have Bol and Warholm in the 400m, plus a Hodgkinson/Moraa duel to look forward to in the 800m. Should be a good meet!

Start lists/schedule here.

Lamecha Girma runs 7:23.81 to take down Daniel Komen's long-standing 3000m indoor world record. Mohamed Katir was also inside the old record with a time of 7:24.68. Maybe 2023 is the year Girma finally wins a gold medal? He's won four consecutive silvers from Doha 2019 through Eugene 2022.

No other world record attempts came to fruition, despite both Ingebrigtsen and Tsegay giving it a lash. Tsegay started to fade badly but recovered to run 3:57.xx. I guess that's what going out in 3:40 pace does!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Great run from Keely Hodgkinson too.

Good to dmsee Girma getting that record consistently up there at world level. Katir on the other hand,... Unbelievable improvement over the last 3 years. 7.46 in 2020 to 7.24..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Was wondering had I missed something with Katir seeing him run that time alright! Some race though

• Advertisement

Great morning of racing at the world cross country championship. You can watch it on world athletics on YouTube.

What a dramatic finish to the senior women's. I won't spoil it for anyone who did see it. But I would encourage everyone to have a look at it.

Finally just caught up on this mornings races. Dramatic finish is right, I wonder what the hell happened to Gidey? Clearly she was exhausted and struggling, but to not run through the line and secure the silver? Wow.

Few good results from day 1 of the national indoor champs.

Sarah Lavin won the 60m hurdles in 8.03.

Mark Smyth took the 200m title in 20.77.

Sharlene Mawdsley won the women’s 200m in 23.50, a new PB, setting her up well for the 400m at the Euro Indoors. I feel like this is the first year she is starting to realize her obvious talent.

I think the legs just went, probably not helped by the speed bump type run in. We often see athletes collapse after crossing the line, for some the line doesn't come quick enough. Similar happened a Japanese athlete in junior race about 10m from the line. He ended up scooting to the line on his bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

Darragh McElhinny with a scorching 25 second (I think) final lap to beat Nick Griggs in the men's 3000m

Edit: 7:49:18 for a championship record too

Anyone else hear anything about Paris 2024 tickets? Got an email yesterday morning to say I've been successful in the draw. I'll have a 48 hour window to buy my tickets from tomorrow morning, which will allow me to buy up to three sessions, depending on availability.

No idea yet what kind of sessions or sports will be on offer, but I'm guessing it'll surely be based on the sports I expressed a preference for, which in my case was athletics and tennis. Of course I won't be home from work until around 5 or 6 tomorrow, so just hope there'll be tickets left by the time I get a chance to buy.

Indoor 400m world record for Femke Bol! Takes down Kratochvilova's mark of 49.59!!

Just phenomenal. What an athlete taking down a 40 year old WR. Love Bol. Great advertisement for athletics.

Props to her team mate Lieke Klaver who ran 50.34 in the same race. That’s something like the 12th fastest time in history too.

The Dutch would be some force in the 4x400m if only they could find two more women capable of running 50.xx. Lisanne DeWitte is in that ballpark but she is nearing the end of her career. After that, they have nobody unfortunately.

Olatunde ran 6.57 to break Hession 16 year old Irish 60m record

Thats fast 😉

• Advertisement

It is fast. He should definitely be targeting a place in the final in Istanbul.

Other highlights from day 2 for me were Jack Raftery winning the 400m in 46.37, a new PB. He’s only 21 and shows a lot of promise. Sarah Leahy won the women’s 60m in 7.30. She seems to have a lot of upside.

Big disappointment for me was the women’s 400m. Rhasidat Adeleke is clearly on fire in the US. Sharlene Mawdsley is also having a good season. However, Sophie Becker and in particular, Phil Healy seem to have regressed. Becker won the race in 53.11 from Healy who ran high 53.xx. This time last year, both of them were well capable of sub-52. Maybe, they aren’t taking indoors seriously and will come good in the summer. Little disappointing all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Hope you have a healthy bank balance!! No cheap tickets left. For any of the non-medal days you're looking at min €170, €385 tickets for medal events (€680 for Fri/Sat). Was planning on going but can't afford these prices :(.

I gave myself a budget of about €500 for tickets, so I got the medal session for Tuesday 6th August and the morning session on the 7th. Wanted to buy another athletics session but the 'make your pack' option only allowed for two sessions 😐 Was forced to buy a football ticket that I won't use but can hopefully resell later.

Would like to buy another athletics session but there's no option to buy just one, so I'd be forced to buy three and resell the other two later. Feels like a bit of a risk tbh, can unwanted tickets definitely be resold? Either way all going well I'll be going to the Olympics in some form, so I'm delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Yeah was looking at the Mon or Tue evening sessions - Mens Pole Vault or Womens 400mH/Mens 1500m. As there was myself and Mrs SR we were looking at €1500 at least (she wanted Gymansitics as well) - could not justify it with my curent finances.

Enjoy it!!

Decent showings tonight in Madrid for the Irish athletes, including a PB for Sarah Lavin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭deisedude

Phil Healy has withdrawn from the 400m individual in Istanbul but still running the relay.

Posted on social media about having health issues the past few months which would explain the drop in form

Thanks for that. Yeah, I thought she looked very out-of-sorts at the national indoors. Hopefully, she can run a good leg in Istanbul and set herself up for the summer.

Looking at the team for European indoors, I feel like the stalwart Mark English, is our best chance of a medal in the 800m. I can't see any other medals unfortunately. However, I hope to see good performances and finals for Israel Olutunde (60m), Sarah Lavin (60mH), Sharlene Mawdsley (400m), Andrew Coscoran and Luke McCann (1500m), and Darragh McElhinny (3000m).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

4x4 women would have a shout too. Seems Poland and GB are missing a lot of talent

Birmingham world indoor tour final now live

Tsegay and Muir going for world records in the 3000m and 1000m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I think that's an absolute 1500 record for Coscoran. Fantastic running by McCann and Griggs too.

Fine performance by Raftery.

Very exciting race between Tsegay and the lights. 🤣🤣

Advertisement