Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

World U20 world record holder Issam Assinga provisionally suspended for doping. 18 years old, sad really. Apparently he was being mentored by Justin Gatlin too 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SuspectZero

Sydney McLaughlin has pulled out of Worlds with a minor knee injury as to focus on Paris next year. That's both of Bobby Kersee's top stars with her and Mu deciding to skip Worlds this year to focus on the Olympics next year instead. Bit of a sham to be honest

Also in other doping news, one of Patrick Sangs athletes has been busted for an ABP violation in Rodgers Kwemoi.

Post edited by SuspectZero on

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Runster

Well that opens things right up, i still dont think Adeleke will medal but shes now in with a chance if one or two others are having a bad day.

I dont see any confirmation about Mu yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Sydney McLaughlin withdrawing with injury and Athing Mu seemingly disinterested in competing, is not a good look for the Bobby Kersee group. I hate to say it and I hope that I’m wrong, but fingers crossed there is nothing untoward happening in that group.

In terms of the women’s 400m, it’s certainly a more open race. I think the sleeper here is Natalia Kaczmarek from Poland. She has won two diamond leagues this season, defeating all of her key rivals, including Paulino, and has set a lifetime best of 49.48. At 25, she’s in her absolute prime and is likely to run low 49.xx in Budapest. Watch out for her.

Assuming Mu doesn’t run the 800m, Keely Hodgkinson needs to dictate that race. Basically, get to the front and run 1.55 for the gold medal. If she allows Mary Moraa dictate the pace and turn it into a 1.57 / 1.58 affair, she’s going home with silver. Hodgkinson’s 400m PB is 51.7x vs. Moraa 50.4x. She needs it to be a supremely fast race. Ironically, having Mu in the race, would be advantageous to Hodgkinson.

Femke Bol must be looking at the 400m hurdles / 400m flat fields thinking that she could pull off the double. I know she’s not entered in both, but with McLaughlin out, it’s within her capability.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Athletics Weekly have written up their contenders and predictions for the sprint, hurdles and relay events, and have Adeleke in a shout for silver. Obviously meaningless, but it's great that an Irish athlete is even getting a nod for a medal in a world championships.

Sydney McLaughlin withdrawing with injury and Athing Mu seemingly disinterested in competing, is not a good look for the Bobby Kersee group. I hate to say it and I hope that I’m wrong, but fingers crossed there is nothing untoward happening in that group.

Not sure what 'untowards' can encompass, but Sydney is far too holy to be doing anything very untowards. 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Holy people are the worst! 🤔

I could have sworn we had a few posts on this thread this morning, but maybe the word 'untoward' isn't permitted here anymore?

In any case, reposting my earlier comment: Athletics Weekly have posted their preview of the World Champs sprint, hurdles and relay events, and have tagged Adeleke as a potential silver medalist. It's a huge ask, but it's great that she is being considered in those terms.

Really surprised Bol is not running the 400m. Taking that into account and Miller being an unknown quantity then yeah Adeleke could be up for a medal. Really silly that Bol is not doing a double. Is there a chance she could change her mind I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Hamachi

The Dutch federation hasn’t entered her for the 400m flat to the best of my knowledge. It’s probably too late now. If she was entered, she would almost certainly medal, with a decent shot at gold.

I read somewhere that the Dutch are aggressively targeting a medal in the women’s 4x400m relay. Bol, along with Klaver, will be the cornerstone of that effort. That’s probably why she’s not attempting the double.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Trampas

Was watching the podium 5km in Cardiff from yesterday and the recent night of 10km pbs. Some very fast racing. Why isn’t there a market for it here? I know popup did 5km in leixlip version of it but when it came to the pointy end of the field it doesn’t seem to attract the elites who race races. Any reason for it? No prize money? I can run a 5/10km down in billy go backwards and pick up a few hundred euro for doing a good tempo session than work my backside off for a medal and come 10th? Anyone have an idea why we can’t get a event like this going?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

They the car series thing which had a quality field in it. Enfield 5k was won in 14:30

Other side of the border, and not a track race, but the Armagh 5K attracts an incredible pool of talented runners and is typically won in a sub 14 time, with 60+ runners under 14:30, and 140 runners under 15 mins. Not at the same standard but the graded meets would have a 5,000 and 10,000 event, and the Irish Milers club will run distances up to 5,000m. Then there's the nationals too!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Weltklasse on BBC 2 tomorrow night, Coscoran and Fay down to start but nothing great there really : Programme 2023 (diamondleague.com)

Zurich diamond league about to start, impressed with how strong the fields are just four days after Worlds!

Warholm beaten by McMaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ergo

Is Mageean running? If so what time?

Not here. Only Irish are Coscoran and Fay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Coscoran way off the pace. Lost contact after 700m. Must be ill/injured

Kerr outdipped on the line in a great race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ergo

Surprised to see Warholm beaten and Nuguse beating Kerr on the line as well.

The mens 1500m should really start heating up with these two challenging Ingebrigtsen

I wonder how much they lose by coming second

Kerr needs to lose those silly glasses.

Lovely to see Kamish Kerr get his NR and come second as well in the high jump.

Nice to see Muir win the 800m though not a tough field but a confidence booster anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Wottle

Kerr doesn't normally race the way he did tonight. He was chasing Farah's national record. The pace makers weren't great and left him exposed with 700m to go.

Yeah not great pacers out there tonight also putting Sanford out as a pacer asking her to run just outside her PB for 400m in an 800m event.

Gidey possibly chasing down the 5000m World Record today in Berlin. The livestream starts at 3:15 and the 5000 at 3:45 Irish time I believe

https://www.zdf.de/sport/sportstudio-live/springreiten-em-mailand-leichtathletik-istaf-berlin-030923-100.html

I'm hoping World Athletics might have a non-german stream on YouTube but the above should work if not

Thanks, I'm looking forward to this too. I haven't seen any confirmation that it's world record attempt but it would make sense. Her team are promoting it pretty heavily on social media, and why else would she race a 5000 in Berlin, barring a huge appearance fee?

Yeah, its almost certainly a WR attempt. Beatrice Chepkoech who paced Gidey to her last 5000 WR is in the startlist too, they wouldn't need or want to shell out the kind of money needed to have someone of Chepkoechs quality to pace unless they were making a serious attempt

Yep I just saw that too! Chepkoech also paced Kipyegon when she broke Gidey's record in Paris. Very exciting, I wonder if she's in shape to break it could we even see a sub 14 👀

Damn, looks like the stream is only available in Germany or through vpn

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Seems to be showjumping :(

Advertisement