Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renter's tax credit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭labrik

Thanks for all the replies. I just got an email now they're processing my application. I'm not sure if this is a result of me posting an enquiry on their site, but they've acknowledged it. If anyone has recieved the tax credit into their bank account from an application from Thurs 5/1/23 onwards, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

We are a jointly assessed couple with 2 kids in college paying rent but the quantity isn't an option so therefore I guess the credit is based on the total amount paid ie kid 1 + kid 2 = total. Regardless of the number of kids, the max credit we can receive is €1000 - is this correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭This is it

Would've thought it would be per tenant, so two refunds due, but maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Che15Deng30

Applied on the 2nd of Jan. Still waiting for my SOL. I wonder if anybody here also applied as early as mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭This is it

I applied on the 4th and there was no movement. SOL was still giving me the option to request so I raised a ticket with revenue just this afternoon and already it's changed from "request" to "view" and when I click view it says it's being processed. So I still don't have it, but there's movement at least.

• Advertisement

Same thing with me. Those people who applied later than me and got their SOL and processed payment they are so lucky. I don’t know how the revenue works on the application why those who applied later got processed already. Good luck to us😉

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Is it an actual 500e cash refund? Or a tax credit? Feel I'm being overly optimistic expecting 500e to be lodged in my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

It is either/both. If you paid the correct amount of tax for 2022 then it will be a refund for you of 500 when you put it in. I received 500 into my account within 3 days. For 2023 in Feb you can use it as a tax credit so your salary increases slight, or you can submit it in 2024 and get 500 quid into your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

This comes up constantly on these tax threads. It's simple and it's the same for any type of credit/relief you are claiming.

1 If you are filing a tax return via your Revenue MyAccount for prior tax years (not the active tax year) and your statement of liability after filing shows a refund is due on page 1; it will be refunded to your bank account by Revenue. Page 2 of the statement of liability in panel 4 will show you the credits used in the calculations.

2 If you are claiming a tax credit/relief for an active tax year (2023 currently), it gets added to your tax credits certificate for the active tax year as Revenue don't process your payroll. A new RPN will issue to your employer which allows them to recalculate your tax for the active tax year meaning you'd pay less tax during the active tax year. The active tax year is 2023 in case of any doubt.

I raised an enquiry on Monday and from yesterday afternoon it has turned to view, and when I click on it, it says it's been processed. Hopefully not long to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Stupid question time, but I assume this is only for private rented, not available to those in council/co-op/voluntary housing?

Literally just started work in a resource centre so am sure I'll be asked at some stage, many thanks.

My SOL on Pg 1 Treatment of result states 'a payment of E 500 will be paid into your bank a/c. This must have been completed late yesterday (dated 12/01/23) but nothing in a/c. Does anyone know the time lag between it being agreed and going into bank a/c. I've trippled checked bank details.

Hi, just wanted to ask. When dis you apply your SOL? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭wijam

I applied for it on Tuesday afternoon and received it into my account this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭obi604

looking to do the rent relief credit

standard setup in a rented house, myself wife and kids. landlord is registered with RTB

I work, herself does not

Few q's

I am renting a good few years, do I put down the actual start date of tenancy or just do from start of 2022

For end date of tenancy, I am not sure, no end date really, what is best to put

Do I really need to put the landlords PPS number, will his address work

what do I put for 'gross relief due' from screen grab below

Am I entitled to the 500 scenrio or the 1000 scenario.

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Can you put an end date with tenancies?

That's what I will do. Put an end date as the first day I got HAP as I'm not getting a response from revenue.

Well, Relax, thanks for the feedback, I got it this morning, 2 days after the SOL went to view on the revenue site. Happy Saturday.

A question raised above was concerning the 'estimated end of tenancy'. It is obligatory. i put down the start of next year (2024). My tenancy (fixed term) began at the start of January 2020, so it was for a year, then it has been ongoing after that. I paid rent monthly by standing order for 2020, then i have manually credited my landlord every month since the start of 2021. Still don't know how you're really supposed to answer that question, as I don't really have an estimated date for the end of my tenancy. Anyony have any insight? Well, I got the 2022 rent credit, but wondering for the 2023 one, when I fill it out in February.

Thanks again for all the valuable insights on here

Post edited by labrik on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I just put an end of tenancy as 2025, I don't really know how long I am going to be at this address.

Sure if you move you update the address with Revenue anyway so it shouldn't matter.

gentle bump on this

I work and my wife does not. I am a standard PAYE worker

Trying to claim for year 2022.

I have all the other info, just stuck on one field. What do I enter in 'Gross relief due' field?

My rent greater than 5k per year

Post edited by obi604 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Would this potentially open up your landlord for a tax audit?

I know my landlords tax affairs are not my problem but I dont want it to cause issues for me. Happy where I am, he’s a decent guy and rent isn’t extortionate

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Gmaximum

If you’re landlord’s affairs are in order it won’t. If they’re registered and his return matches your claim there’s nothing to raise a red flag with revenue. If they don’t match revenue may look for an explanation before looking closer.

As you said, your landlords tax affairs are not your problem though

Assuming you are jointly assessed, enter €5000

I am the only one in paid employment (standard PAYE worker)

We are jointly assessed, she is a stay at home mother / home maker etc and does not earn

in this case, would I enter 2500 as she pays no tax?

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Agreed but then I don’t want to be accused of hanging him out to dry with Revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

In order to get the maximum in a joint assessed case you enter €5000 assuming you paid more than €5000 euro in the year. The credit is 20% of the maximum, IE 20% of the 5000 euro.

From the guide.

Where a couple is jointly assessed to tax, any rental payment made by either spouse or civil partner may be taken into consideration for the purposes of the rent tax credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Applied on Friday last

SOL email received Sat

Refund in Account Tuesday.

Left all the sections where not required blank

• Advertisement

grand, thanks. will enter 5000.

For start of tenancy, I think this is a required field, am I ok to just put 1/1/2022, am here years but dont want to rock the boat etc

Post edited by obi604 on

Advertisement