Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2023 EDITION!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nothing wrong with the controls in the original imo. It follows classic Capcom game design where you have to commit to actions and give a risk reward feedback loop. Basically if you want to take aim you have to commit to aiming but if you can pull it off you can follow up with melee attacks. I find the remake which allows you to move and shoot less rewarding as a result. It's no where near as exciting or satisfying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I get that I'm probably in the minority considering how well loved the original is but like Penn I just found the controls really frustrating. Then again I only played it for the first time a couple of years ago.

I'd be interested to know if this is a pattern - if you only played the original for the first time in the last few years you may struggle with the control scheme a lot more than if you played the game when it originally came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say there's definitely an element of that. The controls and camera system in the original were par for the course at the time (or in many cases RE4 helped to pioneer such as the over the shoulder view), but in the last few years it'd be hard not to feel they're outdated or difficult to get used to considering how ubiquitous most modern control/camera schemes are. For me replaying it a few weeks ago, RE4 felt like the kind of game that isn't old enough that it's a completely different system (eg. if I were to replay RE2 or RE3), but wasn't new enough that it didn't have the modern controls/camera that I'm so used to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it's the same issue that people have with other older Capcom games. Ghouls n Ghosts is a good example. Controls are absolutely perfect but a lot of people refuse to get to grips with the fact you can't change direction during a jump and take their frustration out on the game. These types of games you have to learn the systems and then the game starts rewarding you. Modern games in comparison ate too afraid to lose the audience so are afraid of frustrating the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. God of war: Ragnarok -PS5
    2. Signalis -Xbox Series X
    3. The Callisto Protocol - PS5
    4. FF7 Crisis core reunion -PS5
    5. Fire Emblem: Engage - Switch
    6. Hogwarts Legacy - PS5

Hogwarts Legacy

A good game but not great , felt there was a lot of filler in it. Being a wizard in this world was pretty cool and the interaction with hogwarts was fantastic. Combat was also stellar, some of the sidequests were not great though and very fetchy.

Was better than I hoped but after rolling credits I don't see myself revisiting it.

Currently playing Re4 remake can't believe it nearly 20 years ago I played the original on ps4 I am getting old!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Yakuza 0 - PlayStation 5
    2. Yakuza 3 - PlayStation 5
    3. The Gardens Between - PlayStation 5
    4. Foreclosed - PlayStation 5
    5. Biomutant - PlayStation 5
    6. Whispering Willows - PlayStation 5
    7. The Quarry - PlayStation 5
    8. Demon Hunter 4: Riddles of Light - PlayStation 5
    9. Victor Vran (Including DLC) - PlayStation 5
    10. Black Mirror - PlayStation 5
    11. Telling Lies - PlayStation 5
    12. The Forgotten City - PlayStation 5
    13. I Am Dead - PlayStation 5
    14. The Medium - PlayStation 5
    15. Last Stop - PlayStation 5
    16. Omno - PlayStation 5
    17. Yakuza 4 - PlayStation 5
    18. Gabbuchi - PlayStation 5
    19. Minecraft Dungeons - PlayStation 5

Minecraft Dungeons

A very simple dungeon crawler that's rather short. You need to complete the game on default difficulty to unlock higher difficulties but it's just not fun or interesting enough for me to bother playing through the game for a second or third time. It's fun for a single playthrough and it's quite short but there's definitely not enough here to warrant multiple playthroughs of the same dungeons. I didn't bother with the overly complicated dlc either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

1. God of War: Ragnarok
    2. Hitman World of Assassination
    3. Ni No Kuni 2. Really enjoyed this. Building the kingdom is fun. There's a lot of post game dungeons DLC that I didn't bother with.
    4. Tunic. Started this last year and got to that ridiculous cathedral boss run when all your power ups are removed and couldn't be arsed and left it. Came back and turned on easy combat just to finish it. Then found out to get the proper ending you have to search out these annoying obscure butterfly puzzles and once again...couldn't be arsed.
    5. Dredge Fantastic game. A fun fishing game with a dark side to it. Easily my favourite so far this year.

1. Sonic Frontiers (PC)
    2. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES)
    3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
    4. Aladdin (SNES)
    5. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PC)
    6. Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped (PC)
    7. Deus Ex: Invisible War (PC)
    8. The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero (PC)
    9. Thief: Deadly Shadows (PC)
    10. The Firemen (SNES)
    11. Omaze (Playdate)
    12. Deception 4: Nightmare Princess

Omaze

Hard on to descibe. It's one of the highlights of the the Playdate Season 1 for me. Like all the best puzzle games, it's simple, addictive and has surprising depth. The premise is you control a round object inside a circle. You can move around the circle using the systems crank. Each maze is composed of a grid of circles and as the game goes on these circles will contain hazards and other mechanisms that change up the gameplay. You switch between circles in the maze at the point where the circles touch. There's also some 'boss stages which has you jumping between the inner and outer edge of a circle to avoid hazards. I'm probably not doing this justice but I'm sure a video will help anyone interested.

The game is a bit short but didn't outstay its welcome and I really enjoyed the game as a fun distraction.

Deception 4: Nightmare Princess

I really enjoyed Deception 4: Blood Ties but the expansion, Nightmare Princess is even better for one simple reason, the shorter missions set in a single location that don't last longer than 10 minutes are a much better fit for this type of game. The core gameplay remains the same but each of the 100 missions having 3 other sub missions to complete that are totally optional. These missions range from finishing an enemy with a certain length combo, or using specific traps to finish enemies off. Although these are optional but are well worth doing because figuring them out is a lot of fun and the rewards are new traps and abilities to use in the rest of the missions. In fact some missions are locked behind the use of locked abilities or can remain locked off until certain submissions are completed.

Nightmare princess doesn't add a whole lot to the core gameplay. There's two new areas, one set in a school gym and the other in a children's playground. They aren't used enough as these areas are a lot of fun and people that have finished the base game have seen enough of the other areas. The game also gives the new protagonist a kick ability that can be used during combos to kick an enemy into a trap and continue the combo. It's kind of funny how the game's story makes the kick ability out to be some crazy arcane magic that is normally forbidden by trap users.

Deception 4 is an incredible game that only gets better the more you learn how to play it. It's been a rare reason for me to turn on my Playstation. Nightmare Princess expansion in particular managed to surpass the base game. There's even some fan service in nightmare princess for fans of the Deception/Trapt games with all the previous protagonists being unlockable and playable. Each has a playstyle that mimics their prospective games they came from. The most interesting being the protagonist from the very first game that can only lay 3 traps but traps refresh a lot faster for her. It's such a shame this series doesn't get the attention it should.

I've still got the 'Rachel' DLC to complete but that's only 10 missions so shouldn't take long.

1. Sonic Frontiers (PC)
    4. Aladdin (SNES)
    10. The Firemen (SNES)
    11. Omaze (Playdate)
    12. Deception 4: Nightmare Princess (PS4)
    13. Deception 4: Nightmare Princess - Rachel Pack DLC (PS4)

Deception 4: Nightmare Princess - Rachel Pack DLC

And with this DLC I'm done with Deception 4. This DLC adds 10 missions to the Nightmare Princess quest tree which focus on taking out Rachel who is a fan favourite character from the PS2 game Trapt. If you've played Trapt you'll probably get a bit more out of the Story.

In terms of gameplay additions there's not a whole lot here. Each mission has 3 sub-missions and their requirements are some of the trickiest in the whole game. However they also only give extra 'Ark' (basically score) so there's very little incentive to go for them other than for swag. There's a new stage added but it's just the gym stage from the base game with traps from other stages places in it haphazardly. The DLC also lets you try out the DLC traps even if you haven't bought them and Rachel also uses the DLC traps exclusively when you fight her.

The DLC is a nice little extra if you can get it on sale but I don't think it's worth it for people that haven't played Trapt.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Games Beaten 2023

1. Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)

2. Yakuza 5 (PS4)

3. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS4)

4. Nano Assault Ex (3DS)

5. Pokemon X (3DS)

6. Burnout Revenge (360)

7. Dragon Quest 7 (3DS)

8. Tetris Effect: Connected (PS4)

9. Pokemon Scarlet (Switch)

10. HarmoKnight (3DS)

11. Weapon Shop de Omasse (3DS)

12. Pokemon Yellow (3DS)

13. Pocket Card Jockey (3DS)

Beat the fucker finally. Tremendous game, so ingenious but Christ can it get hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Call of duty modern warfare II - PS4

Lego the Incredibles - PS4

A plague tale requim - Xbox series s

High on life - Xbox series s

Prodeus - Xbox series s

Goldeneye - Xbox series s

The last of us - PS4

TMNT shredder revenge-Xbox series s

Shadow warrior 3 - Xbox series s

Mafia 2 - PS4

Halo infinite - Xbox series s

1. Sonic Frontiers (PC)
    4. Aladdin (SNES)
    10. The Firemen (SNES)
    11. Omaze (Playdate)
    14. Battletoads (NES)

Battletoads

I've mixed feelings about this one but thinking about it I'll come out on the side of it being a good videogame.

Battletoads was a pretty late NES game from Rare releasing in 1991 and hoping to ride on the wave of TMNT mania. Seems it was quite successful even if as a franchise its popularity was short lived. At the time Rare were one of the most prolific NES developers and also one of the most talented. They really are just showing off with this game. Right after turning the game on you are greeted by a spaceship smoothly scaling in 3D. I looked this up and it's actual true sprite scaling, something the SNES and Megadrive struggle with (you basically never see it in games) let alone the lowly SNES. The game is a real technical showcase for the NES and Rare as developers. It's a great looking game with big detailed sprites, gorgeous parallax scrolling backgrounds and effects that the NES has no right pulling off. The final stage's rotating tower looks incredible. It's not just the graphics that impress. The game runs at 60 FPS with no noticeable slowdown with responsive controls.

From the first stage you might be mistake for thinking that Battletoads is a belt scroller akin to Streets of Rage or Final Fight. While a few stages return to the belt scroller style, there's a huge amount of variety in levels. The second stage has you descending on a rope down a chasm. The third stage has the infamous turbo tunnel. Many levels play out as typical 2D platformers. While most games with this much gameplay variety tend to feel half baked, all the different gameplay types feel pretty solid here and play well.

So far I've been very positive about Battletoads but I have to address the eh... elephant toad in the room. The game is not only difficult, it's also mean. I don't mind difficult games but Battletoads can a bit much at times. Everyone knows about the infamous Turbo Tunnel at the end of stage 3 that's been lampooned by plenty of youtube celebrities. It's the first big difficulty spike in the game and while it's tough it's actually fun to learn and very satisfying when you can breeze through it in one try. The Turbo Tunnel is tough, but the game has way more sections that as as bad if not worse than the turbo tunnel. Most of these sections will destroy you if you go in without any foreknowledge. This is par for the course for NES game design but the issue is the game is quite long (well over an hour for one playthrough) and some of the toughest sections are backloaded on to the game. It's soul destroying to play for well over an hour and get to the infamous Clinger Winger stage and only have a few lives left to learn how the stage works.

There's also pacing and balance issues. The game can be mean with checkpoints. Some stages let you continue from where you died while others have you restart at a checkpoint. Some of the hardest stages in the game (Intruder Excluder, Rat Race and Clinger Winger) end in extremely tough boss fights that will chew through lives if you don't have strategies to cheese them. The game gives you 5 hitpoints which seems superfluous when the vast, vast majority of enemies, bosses and obstacles are instant death. The game does include secret warps that let you skip some of the earlier levels but you are better off not taking these if you are serious about beating the game. The best strategy to beating this game is getting good at the first few stages as you can build up a huge number of lives. The game is mercifully generous with handing out lives at least.

While the game is extremely tough it was immensely satisfying to get through, although nowhere near Punchout!! levels. When you get good at stages it feels good getting through them with ease, and being good at something like the Turbo Tunnel is not only satisfying but looks amazing when you pull it off. What I can't be so forgiving of are bugs and this game has a minor and a major one that stand out. Firstly the game is two player co-op. While it doesn't work that well it's a nice extra. However it's impossible to beat in two player as a bug will prevent you completing stage 8, Clinger Winger. The absolute worst offender is the bug in the Rat Race level. This level features races against a rat to bottom of a shaft to take out a bomb. The third and final race is absolutely brutal and requires near perfect movement to beat. However you can be too fast in this stage and if you are and finish it then you can soft lock the game, an absolutely brutal punishment after playing the game for over an hour at that stage. Thankfully the rare replay version of the game fixes both these bugs.

While this game caused a lot of swearing and frustration in the retr0gamer household I can't deny that the rat race bug aside this is a very polished and great playing NES game. It might be very difficult but the real issue is that it's just a little too long. When I think about it if I had a NES back in 1991 and this was one of the games I owned, I would have loved it and played it to completion. So taking this as a product of it's time it's actually pretty high quality NES game.

They won't read this but I'd like to reiterate that the 'U can beat Video Games' youtube series is a valuable resource and a massive help when tackling these old videogames. The boss strategies in particular were a lifesaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The steam deck has got me completing more games from the backlog this year than ever before.

So far:

Alan Wake - Cool story, great atmosphere. Sometimes frustrating combat but running is also an option.

Ori and the blind forest - Music and visuals here are top notch. Some sequences were really tough but I always felt like I wanted to persevere and make more progress. I actually felt like I accomplished something with this one. And the simple story was touching.

Terranigma (emulated SNES) - I loved Chrono Trigger despite not liking turn based combat but that's Chrono Trigger for you. Terranigma was an obvious choice as it's an action rpg from Enix and I enjoyed every minute of it. It felt like a fairly big game even though it's from around 30 years ago.

FAR: Lone Sails - This is a single session game, maybe 3 hours or so. A bit like Inside or Limbo but with a steampunkmobile of some sort. I'm a sucker for those short, atmospheric puzzlers so had a great time with it.

I'm playing Oblivion now because because I liked skyrim and enderal and wanted more. I was pleasantly surprised. It's a little bit dated but it offers a lot. The only major flaw after occasional crashes is the levelling - after 200 hours, I shouldn't have to turn goblins into a hedgehog to bring them down with my sneaky archer build. I'll have more to say on this game when I finish it.

Must give terranigma a go. I finished illusion of Gaia last year and wasn't that impressed so hoping terranigma is a return to form. It's also a rare rpg Europe got that america didn't.

1. Neon White (PS5)
    2. Dead Cells (PS5)
    3. Superliminal (PS5)
    4. Dead Space (Remake) (PS5)
    5. The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe (PS5)
    6. Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy (PS5)
    7. Like A Dragon: Ishin (PS5)
    8. Resident Evil 4 Remake (PS5)

Horizon Forbidden West - Burning Shores DLC (PS5)

Ultimately, it's more Horizon which doesn't add a whole lot new or interesting, aside from one new weapon which is pretty cool and makes a change from all the other arrow/bomb weapons. A few new machines to fight though I worry they've hit a bit of a ceiling with the machine enemies. HFW added some really tough new machines similar to the Thunderjaw & Stormbird from the first game. The new big enemy here though is more along the lines of Behemoths etc, tough enemies but you're never going to lose your sh*t fighting them. I guess the DLC from the first game was similar in only introducing Frostclaws/Fireclaws.

Also, fighting human enemies remains the weakest part of the game, either as bosses or mobs. Just uninteresting and bland combat, and the biggest challenge usually comes from just trying to get to them or see where they are. They tried to enhance melee combat in HFW, but it's still not great. Combos are fairly pointless to use in general.

Gameplay-wise, like I said nothing really new is added. You can now dive underwater with a new flying mount, but underwater remains the worst part of the game anyway so not much use.

That said, the new missions are fun and engaging, new story elements and what it means for the next game bode well imo, and the final boss fight (well, part of it at least) is one of the best over both Horizon games. And ultimately the game still has that great Horizon combat system which can be incredibly fun (but also frustrating when Aloy takes longer to get back up after being knocked down than it takes my grandfather to get out of a chair..... and he's dead...).

Might do another playthrough of the main game if I encounter a lull in stuff to play, as I belted my way through it too quickly the first time to try have it platinumed before I jumped to Elden Ring.

Post edited by Penn on

16. Omno - PlayStation 5
    20. Deadlight: Directors Cut - PlayStation 5
    21. The Last Day of June - PlayStation 5
    22. Chronos Before The Ashes - PlayStation 5

I'm playing through a few games that are due to leave PS Premium next month.

Deadlight: Directors Cut

This is a side scrolling game similar to old school Prince of Persia but without any real complexity. It's very short so doesn't overstay it's welcome but there's not a huge amount of originality here.

The Last Day of June

This is a narrative driven game with some very simple puzzles to solve. Another short game that's only really extended by going for the trophies, otherwise this can be completed in around 2 hours. I don't think the narrative is that strong but it's worth a single playthrough.

Chronos Before The Ashes

I'm sure I'll get stick for this but I enjoyed this 'Souls Like' game a lot. I've never played a proper Souls game before as the difficulty puts me off them, I just don't have the patience to stick with them. What I liked about this one is that it offers a difficulty level so I played through it on 'normal' and just enjoyed the game without ever getting overly frustrated. Perfect formula for me really.

1. Frostpunk (PC)
    2. Spider-Man Remastered (PC)

Spider-Man Remastered

Not much new to say at this stage but I have to mention Super Ultra Wide support in this game. Swinging around Manhattan in 5120x1440 HDR glory is truly magnificent. Optimization is a hot topic at the moment and Nixxies have done a superb job on this. Buttery smooth 70-90fps+. As a lucky owner of a super ultra wide I'm pleasantly surprised and happy that Sony have opted to sell this resolution as a feature on their PC ports.

Frostpunk

Again, late to the game here so nothing new really to add. Another great super ultra wide game. Totally unforgiving game, but in a good, enjoyable way. It's got that "just 1 more hour" lure to it. Really looking forward to seeing what they do with the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. God of war: Ragnarok -PS5
    2. Signalis -Xbox Series X
    3. The Callisto Protocol - PS5
    4. FF7 Crisis core reunion -PS5
    5. Fire Emblem: Engage - Switch
    6. Hogwarts Legacy - PS5
    7. Resident evil 4: Remake -PS5

Finished this up taking my time around 18 hours, really enjoyed it. Was a great blast the combat and the improvement on visuals etc was great. Never really a person to replay a game so dunno if I will replay it again and try to beat it in a fast time.

Started Star Wars Jedi Survivor its pretty good a big improvement on the original for sure. Gonna have a bit of a gaming break as I am off to the mecca of gaming Japan in few weeks. Might pick up some funky retro consoles.

16. Omno - PlayStation 5
    23. Star Ocean: First Departure R - PlayStation 5

Star Ocean: First Departure R

Another game I had never heard of but gave it a shot due to leaving PS Premium soon. It's a remaster of an older JRPG with a real time battle system rather than turn based (I wouldn't have played it if it was turn based). It's fun to a point and contains all the usual JRPG gameplay mechanics. The combat is very basic. basically press one button to attack, however there are items you can use and you can choose 3 other characters to aid in battle. It does get difficult towards the end and there's a need to grind XP to level your character. It took about 20 hours for a playthrough which was probably a bit too long however I'm glad I played through it.

Star Ocean always annoys me as I was excited to play a Sci-fi RPG like Phantasy Star only to be told that the JRPG version of the Prime Directive is in place so we will be using swords and chainmail for the rest of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

The Artful Escape (PS5)

Short and swet. You move right, jump and engage ina few simonesque pattern matching minigames and then go right some more.

T'was grand. Your own enjoyment may rely on whether you rate the power-chord as high-art or not.

Far Cry 5

First Far Cry I've played sine the first. Fun open world (the main gamepllay elements - driving, exploring, shooting and even the fisihing - are great), which is spoiled by a story that keeps intruding on your fun. Story is pants, characters unlikable, agency almost non-existent and you get captured roughly a dozen times, which wears thin real quick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Forspoken - ps5

The outerworlds - ps5

Watch dogs legion - ps5

I had a lot of fun with WDL, loved switching between operatives, although I used the hit man (whom I dressed like a lady 😂) and the albion beefy tank woman with her machine guns 😂 almost all of the time, best two operatives in the game for their loadouts. After nearly 80 hours of gameplay I highly recommend the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You picked good. I went around with the construction worker for the large drone. Great way to get around the map but not a great choice for the last few missions. All I had a was a nail gun up against people with assault rifles. To say I had difficulty is an understatement.

1. Sonic Frontiers (PC)
    4. Aladdin (SNES)
    10. The Firemen (SNES)
    11. Omaze (Playdate)
    14. Battletoads (NES)
    15. Contra (MSX2)

Contra (MSX2)

Kind of beat this game by accident. I was pissed off playing Knightmare on MSX and decided to give this a quick go and managed to beat it.

Contra is a very different game to the arcade and NES versions. Since the MSX2 has issues with scrolling the game has been changed to a flip screen game and the levels and gameplay changed accordingly. You now have a lifebar. And the game is very generous with doling out lives. If you pick up a weapon you get a menu to pick your weapon rather than getting one based on the icon. The weapons are all kind of uselss other than the rapid fire machinegun, no spreadshot in this version.

The game follows the level structure of the arcade game more than the expanded NES game until you get to the final boss. Once I finished the final boss I was surprised to see the game continue with new levels. The game ends up being twice as long as a result.

While Contra on the MSX2 is a pretty decent game it's no where near as good as the Arcade or NES games. Maybe it's due to the split screen nature of the game but the level design just is nowhere near as tight. It's also remarkably easy for a Contra game. I blitzed through it first time. While not a bad game Konami did so much better on the MSX hardware and this is definitely one of their lesser efforts.

1. Sonic Frontiers (PC)
    4. Aladdin (SNES)
    10. The Firemen (SNES)
    11. Omaze (Playdate)
    14. Battletoads (NES)
    15. Contra (MSX2)
    16. Super Mario Run (Android)

Super Mario Run

Mobile gaming is such a cesspit but it wasn't always so. Super Mario Run is a reminder of how good the platform could have been before it was ruined by greed and free to play apps. It seems sacrilegious to say it but Mario works extremely well on a touch screen interface and the developers have managed to translate the feel of a mario game to mobile.

Mario run differs from other mario games in that he is constantly moving forward. Tapping the screen causes him to jump and tapping again will help him extend his jump like in the New SMB games. The level design hues very closely to classic super mario levels. It also brings the nintendo inventiveness you expect from a Nintendo mario game. Each level brings a new twist to the formula and you'd be surprised how much they got out of a simple premise. There's a nice take on the lives system where losing a life puts mario in a bubble that moves backward through the level so mario can restart from a previous position.

The game consists of 6 worlds of 4 stages each and an extra 9 worlds (and a few secrets as well). It's a pretty sizeable game but if you just play to finish each stage you will breeze through the game very quickly. The real meat of the game is in the coin collecting challenge. Each stage has three coin challenges that has mario collect 5 special coins in each level. Collecting these coins requires you to use all the skills you've learned from the main game. Since mario is constantly moving forward, a lot of these challenges require you to come up with clever ways of making mario move backwards through a stage. They can become fiendish to collect and many coin challenges add new content to levels.

The game also has other modes to play around with. Remix mode has mario move through 10 small areas taken from areas in the main game. There's also a challenge mode that has you take on other peoples ghosts and compete for the most coins. Both of these are very enjoyable and good for a quick game. There's also a town building element but it seems totally superfluous and the rewards for it are pretty meagre.

There's two elephants in the room to address with this game. First the prices of 9.99 euro which I see as a non-issue. People are too used to free games on mobile but for a tenner you are getting a complete Nintendo quality platformer that is far better than any free to play skinner box nonsense game. The second I can't forgive and it's the always online requirement. I realise there's some online elements to the game but having to be online for the single player portion is ridiculous.

1. Sonic Frontiers (PC)
    4. Aladdin (SNES)
    10. The Firemen (SNES)
    11. Omaze (Playdate)
    14. Battletoads (NES)
    15. Contra (MSX2)
    16. Super Mario Run (Android)
    17. Star Sled (Playdate)

Star Sled

Neat little game for the play date. It controls much like the old arcade classic Asteroids but without the shooting. Instead your ship leaves a trail behind it and you must collect 'Sparks' by closing a loop around them. In a way it's much like the Sega classic Nights into Dreams. Each of the 6 worlds introduces a new gimmick that changes up the gameplay. It throws enemies at you, some of which you can't catch in your loop. Some levels allow you to collect multiple sparks for bonuses. Control upgrades are also added to keep the gameplay fresh. Each world ends in a boss which are quite impressive and very challenging. Each boss is a giant battleship you have to fly through.

It's all wrapped up in some gorgeous vector wireframe graphics and a wonderful soundtrack. There's even a whole secret world to be unlocked linked to the hidden sparks you can find on each world. Apparently at release the controls were a bit wonky and inertia was too tough to account for but it's a much more playable game now and a highlight of playdate season 1.

1. Neon White (PS5)
    2. Dead Cells (PS5)
    3. Superliminal (PS5)
    4. Dead Space (Remake) (PS5)
    5. The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe (PS5)
    6. Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy (PS5)
    7. Like A Dragon: Ishin (PS5)
    8. Resident Evil 4 Remake (PS5)
    9. Horizon Forbidden West - Burning Shores DLC (PS5)

Star Wars: Jedi Survivor (PS5)

Obviously anyone who has played Jedi Fallen Order knows what to expect, as in many ways it's more of the same. A lot of the same issues in the previous game still carry over here, but there are also a lot more improvements which alleviate a lot of the more frustrating problems from the first game. Combat is expanded with additional stances which all do a great job of feeling different in terms of speed, power & range, as well as different additional abilites through upgrades. Traversal is a lot easier with new abilities you earn throughout the game such as a grapple hook and air dash. And there's fast travel in the game so you can travel directly to different mediation points on whichever planet you're on.

Combat is still very much Sekiro-lite in terms of how it's more about breaking enemies' block stance to open them up for taking down their health. Obviously not as good as Sekiro (because nothing is, f*ck you), but it's engaging and really adds to the difficulty. Though it can become a pain in the hole when you have enemies blasting you from off-screen when you finally have a chance to get a hit in.

Two of the worlds are far more open-world than the maps in the previous game, with more secret encounters/fights or puzzles to find. Unfortunately with that comes extra open-world fluff with far too many chests and collectibles. As you can now customise Cal's hair, beard, clothes items, extra lightsaber parts, BD1 parts, various blaster parts.... you also unlock different colour & material sets independently of that too (eg. you might find a jacket for Cal, but then different colour options for that jacket may be in a different chest elsewhere as a seperate item to unlock). Ultimately many of the chests involve making your way through tough areas or fights to get to them, so the combat carries you through the experience far more than the reward.

New abilites for you and BD-1 help with the puzzles, as the puzzles in Fallen Order usually just involved pulling cables and plugging them into different sockets. Puzzles in this game still aren't great (and some are fairly frustrating), but they are at least more engaging. Traversal sections can sometimes be too long, particularly with all the new abilities, because it can mean you just have to take it on faith that you'll see the next platform/wall/balloon/hookpoint that you're supposed to jump towards. There are a few challenges you can find which are torturous to figure out, especially because if you fall and reset, the various hazards etc don't reset, so a jump you timed well the first time now causes you to hit a hazard with no way to avoid, and then you reset again. Can make it very difficult to time even starting the challenge correctly and learn the rhythm of the challenge.

The story probably doesn't reach the same levels as the first game, and it kind of drags for the first half, but it definitely has its moments, and there are some fantastic boss fights and setpieces built-in. General enemy design too is terrific, though on harder difficulties the combination of enemies and extra aggression can be a real challenge, and make it much harder to just face enemies straight on and instead have to try cheese and jump around to thin out the herd.

All in all a worthy sequel. Improves a lot on the first game, adds a lot of new elements, and really tries to push the franchise forward. The combat is the star of the show. The performance of the game is pretty horrendous though, and is going to take many more patches to fix. They had the same issues with the first game and never fully fixed them either. Framerate is pants in places, textures and pop-ins everywhere, lighting is awful. It's definitely the combat and gameplay which carried me through.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Call of duty modern warfare II - PS4

Lego the Incredibles - PS4

A plague tale requim - Xbox series s

High on life - Xbox series s

Prodeus - Xbox series s

Goldeneye - Xbox series s

The last of us - PS4

TMNT shredder revenge-Xbox series s

Shadow warrior 3 - Xbox series s

Mafia 2 - PS4

Halo infinite - Xbox series s

The walking dead the final season - Xbox series s

16. Omno - PlayStation 5
    23. Star Ocean: First Departure R - PlayStation 5
    24. Sackboy: A Big Adventure - PlayStation 5

Sackboy: A Big Advenure

This game is a straight up platformer, without the level creating aspect of previous Little Big Planet games. I preferred this game to LBP games as more attention was placed on creating interesting levels rather than allowing users to create their own. It's an easy game that's padded out a bit by making you find hidden dreamer orbs in levels in order to progress but there some reasonably tricky parts near the end. All in all a fun game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

1. High on Life [Xbox]
    2. Rayman Origins [Xbox]
    3. Hi-Fi Rush [Xbox]
    4. The Witcher 3 [Xbox]

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Great game. I actually started it years ago and just left it for some strange reason but I am glad I came back to it as it is an amazing game. I done as much as I could and clocked up 76 hours just for the main game. I still have the DLC to get to. I also skipped through white orchard when I started it years ago so missed points of interest and decided to go back to it but everything was blanked at that stage which is why I done so much in the Novigrad and Velen area's as I was afraid that was going to happen again.

Advertisement