Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2023 EDITION!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Yakuza 0 - PlayStation 5
    2. Yakuza 3 - PlayStation 5
    3. The Gardens Between - PlayStation 5
    4. Foreclosed - PlayStation 5

Foreclosed

Foreclosed is another short game available on PS Plus, it probably took about 4 hours to complete and get the platinum trophy. It's mostly a third person shooter but it's styled like a comic book which is definitely the most interesting part of the game. You can unlock some upgrades but really there isn't much variety here. It's a fun if somewhat forgettable short game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 FitBoyAwesome

Shadow Warrior was the first game I ever finished at home. For a week, I was awake until 3 a.m.

Arcade version of Street Fighter 2. I've stolen more quarters from the family change jar than I can count.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

Call of duty modern warfare II - PS4

Lego the Incredibles - PS4

A plague tale requim - Xbox series s

High on life - Xbox series s

Prodeus - Xbox series s

Goldeneye - Xbox series s

• Registered Users Posts: 33,291 ✭✭✭✭Penn

1. Neon White (PS5)
    2. Dead Cells (PS5)
    3. Superliminal (PS5)

Dead Space (Remake) (PS5)

Never played any of the originals, so went into this completely fresh. Got a bit of a land when I realised headshots do sweet f*ck all and instead you have to de-limb the f*ckers.

The game looks and plays incredibly smoothly. Seems like there were some complaints about graphics at the start but I didn't even really notice much (though I did turn down motion blur pretty early). The sound design is where the game excels though. It really helps to set a fantastic atmosphere.

Gameplay is a lot of fun. Have to admit I probably didn't use the powers to their full capability, usually just relying on shooting, panicking, then pulling out the ripper and twirling around until I either survived or died.

The zero-gravity sections were frustrating. It didn't control particularly well, and almost always had small enemies which fire at you and run away, making them extremely difficult to find, track and shoot, particularly if there's more than one of them.

My biggest annoyance though was just how tanky Isaac is. He's slow to move, slow to turn around, slow to reload, slow to switch weapons, slow to melee, sprinting may as well be just walk briskly, and there's no way to dodge. Oftentimes if you're concentrating on enemies in one direction, by the time you realise there are enemies coming at you from the side or behind, you're going to take a lot of damage.

I enjoyed the game a lot. The enemy design was pretty great, the weapons were fun (especially the ripper), it played well and was well paced (finished in just under 11 hours, but didn't bother with side missions). I'd probably put it somewhere below the Resident Evil 3 remake though, and isn't something I'd really be interested in playing through again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Sonic Frontiers (PC)
    2. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES)
    3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
    4. Aladdin (SNES)
    5. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PC)

Crash Bandicoot 2

I played this through the recent remaster.

The first crash game isn't a good game. It has a real lack of variety in its challenges and level design and at its worst it's down right obnoxious. I kept hearing from Playstation fans how Crash Bandicoot 2 was the best of the trilogy and remembered enjoying Crash Bandicoot 3 so I went into Crash 2 expecting an enjoyable platformer after Naughty Dog had honed their craft. Well they certainly improved a hell of a lot since Crash 1 but Crash 2 really isn't the masterpiece people make it out to be. It's a perfectly cromulent platformer that it trounced by many platformers of its vintage, even on the PS1.

They've made Crash 2 a lot less obnoxious. The frankly idiotic save system of Crash 1 is gone, you can now save after every stage. There's also a hub structure to the game where you can play any 5 levels presented to you and move on to the next set of 5 after beating the boss. Level design has improved massively over Crash 1 but its still rather lacking. Enemy design is pretty boring and there's no sections of the game that had me thinking it was cleverly designed the way a top tier platformer would. The bonus rooms are the height of design really. While the level design never reaches the same level of obnoxious as Crash 1, there's some really obnoxious challenges in the later levels that near drove me insane, especially with some bullshit moments when the game actively breaks its own rules. The boss battles are all universally awful. I actually can't get over how bad these are.

There's some new gameplay additions. The biggest are the two new moves, the slide and the bellyflop. The slide allows you to slide under obstacles and hit some enemies. It's a good addition. What I'm not a fan of is that you can now jump out of a slide to get some extra length to your jump. The issue is that this slide jump is not consistent and the game can often kill your momentum out of nowhere and lead to an unfair death. Compare that to Mario 64's much more intuitive duck jump. The belly flop seems totally redundant. It's used to kill and break certain blocks and enemies and adds nothing to the game other than frustration when you accidentally hit the trigger during a jump and screw yourself over. It can also be used to gain slightly more height to reach platforms that are just out of reach. This feels like a glitch but is strangely a gameplay mechanic you are expected to master. There's a few other new gimmicks and vehicle sections that don't stand out other than the nitro crates. **** nitro crates. I mean having a crate that destructs on contact is all fine. Having this type of crate randomly hop into the air is next level ballocks.

Everything else I have issue with the game is my own personal opinion. I just don't like the Crash character or universe, it's just so try hard to be crazy and zany. The music really grates and I'm absolutely baffled that some people have found memories of the soundtrack.

So that's a lot of negatives for a game that was for the most part a decent enough diversion. It will be interesting to see how Crash 3 stacks up as its the Crash game I've the most experience of.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

• Advertisement

Yeah as much as a fan of the original Crash games (and the remaster) as I've always been, even I can't argue about the jumping of nitro crates 😂

I still think Crash 2 is the best of the trilogy though. Crash 3 especially suffers from too many gimmick levels.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

5. Biomutant - PlayStation 5

Biomutant

This game has a pretty terrible reputation but I thought I'd give it a try since it came to PS Plus. The first two hours, which is basically the tutorial, are awful. I was VERY close to giving up on it but I thought I'd wait and see what the game is like once it opens up. I'm very glad that I did as it's actually a fun game.

Yes the combat can become a little repetitive and there are quite a few fetch quests but the gameplay is largely fun and there are lots of places to explore. The map is not full of markers, this is very much an exploration game where you see something the distance and you go and have a look. There are a huge amount of side missions to do, powers to unlock, weapons to craft etc. It's honestly a fun game.

I expect that the vasy majority give up on this game during the tutorial. Only something like 44% of people got the first trophy in the game which pops after completing the tutorial. I ended up getting the platinum trophy in about 27 hours.

It's certainly no masterpiece and it's the very definition of a bad tutorial ruining a game but I enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Sonic Frontiers (PC)
    4. Aladdin (SNES)
    6. Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped (PC)

Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped

Well the final Naughty Dog crash game is the least rage inducing of the game. It's tricky enough but it didn't fill me with rage at how god awful the level the design was in Crash 1 or how unfair Crash 2 could be. Level design is just a lot fairer overall and even the nitro crates barely lift off the ground when they do their little random hops. There's two problems though with Crash 3. Firstly there's a lot of gimmick levels. And secondly, even when Crash Bandicoot is at it's best, it's just not that great a platformer. The core gameplay just isn't that great. Level and enemy design is still lackluster. At least the bosses are a little bit better if still not great.

Now for the Gimmicks. Crash 3 introduces a variety of vehicle levels that vary in quality. The racing levels are by far the most irritating and frustrating. The jest ski levels are actually all pretty good, on PS1 these were very graphically impressive and made a good stab at the wave effects that Waverace 64 was pushing. The flying stages are so vapid and dull they really shouldn't have bothered, except for the final flying racing stage which can go die in a fire.

While the gimmick levels in this feel like wasted content I still probably prefer warped over Crash 2 due to it not being so obnoxiously designed. While non of the Crash games are anywhere near classics I suppose they did come at the right time on a platform that was starved of platformers so can understand the love for them (same goes for the baffling hyperbole surrounding the perfectly serviceable CTR) even if it's totally undeserving. If you have a hankering to play the Crash games my advice is not to bother and get the Klonoa remaster or play Tomba.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

1. Signalis - Xbox Series X
    2. Sol Feace - Sega Mega CD
    3. Skyrim - Steam Deck
    4. Triangle Strategy

Triangle Strategy - Such a good game this, enjoyed it more and more as it progressed. A lot of dialogue that can sometime be a bit wooden but I really enjoyed the Game of Thrones style vibe to it. Would recommend anyone interested in SRPG's to give it a go. Characters a great for the most part. Units can seem underwhelming at first but once you unlock higher levels there's some great synergies you can take advantage in battle. A lot of replayability too as your choices determine what path the game takes so you'll get to unlock new characters and battles on different playthroughs. On to Xenoblade Chronicles 3 now so I anticipate my next game completion update here might be sometime in June or July :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

1. High on Life [Xbox]
    2. Rayman Origins [Xbox]

Rayman Origins

Great game but it took me a while to get into it as I wasn't feeling it but once I settled in it was great and a really good platformer. Very tricky last few levels. I was fuming trying to pull it off but got there in the end. If you keep dying so many times a pop up comes up asking if you would like to skip this part but I never used it as I wanted to play the game properly. In the earlier levels I got that popup due to trying to get tricky coins that are optional rather than the game being difficult but the last few levels are actually hard plus there is bonus chase levels you unlock in each area and they are really difficult but they are optional.

• Advertisement

1. Neon White (PS5)
    2. Dead Cells (PS5)
    3. Superliminal (PS5)
    4. Dead Space (Remake) (PS5)

The Stanley Parable Ultra Deluxe (PS5)

Like Superliminal, a short game to play for fun and the experience rather than any actual gameplay. It's pretty fun, has some great moments/dialogue you can find, the narrator is well written, and the DLC they added is great. That said, I tired of it after a few hours. Only really finished one main ending of it (I'm guessing there are a few different endings/paths you can do), but there's so little to do other than walk around.

Really well designed and written, but just didn't have a lot to grab my attention.

Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy (PS5)

With Retro talking about it and being stuck for something to play until the next few big games start coming out, went back to the old classic. Did all gems/crystals for Crash 1&2 but didn't bother with relics. Then just did as many gems/crystals for Crash 3 before you get to the point of needing relics for secret levels.

To be fair the relics are extremely easy to get if you just need them for the secret levels. The basic relic might as well be a participation trophy.

Yeah it's mostly just a case of not being arsed. I've at least gotten gold in them all before for the platinum trophies for each of the games, but with so many gimmick levels and most of the secret levels also being gimmick levels (jetski, plane & bike), just not that bothered.

I liked the jetski levels. The plane ones are just throw away levels. The bike and plane race level though were obnoxious especially when going for all crates.

Nah I hate the jetski levels, especially going for all crates or the relic where some time crates are in awkward places. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the levels (other than times when the wave physics have straight-up just thrown me over a box I was going for), but they're just so awkward and annoying. If there were two of those levels in the game it'd be fine. Four of them though, that's where I start feeling like it's not worth it, especially having completed the game so many times already.

6. Whispering Willows - PlayStation 5

Whispering Willows

I had never heard of this game but considering it's leaving PS Plus and it's a short, I decided I may as well play through it. It's a horror lite, puzzle game that, at only 2 hours long, almost feels like a demo. There's not much to it, some very basic puzzles and some backtracking but it's all very easy. Not much else to say really.

Prodeus - Xbox series s

The last of us - PS4

7. Far Cry: New Dawn - PlayStation 5

Far Cry: New Dawn

This is basically an expansion of Far Cry 5. It's standard fare although this is the first Far Cry game where I dropped the difficulty half through so I could fly through the game and get it done. I don't own Far Cry 6 yet and I'm in no rush to get it. I'll wait until it hits Ps Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

1. God of War: Ragnarok
    2. Hitman World of Assassination

Completed the new Freelancer rogue-lite mode. You have to win 15 missions in a row. You have a base that you can design and a huge wall for weapons. It made me a lot better at the game because there's so little room for error.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Inside XBox SX

This game gets everything right. Atmosphere, sound, graphics, art design, world, physics, controls, animation, length, puzzles, variety, platforming, progression, flow, simplicity, story ...

It's terrifying, haunting, beautiful, shocking ... and it's "only" a 2.5d platform game.

A wonderful piece of art.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. God of war: Ragnarok -PS5
    2. Signalis -Xbox Series X
    3. The Callisto Protocol - PS5
    4. FF7 Crisis core reunion -PS5

FF7 Crisis core reunion

Got around 60 percent of the side missions done and I then thought to myself why I am doing this grind! Wrapped it up with around 20 hours on the clock was okay, I felt the plot regarding genesis etc was nonsense. Combat was okay was a decent remake/remaster but I wouldn't play it again. Found Zack clueless almost like he was dropped from another world.

Around 30 percent of the way through Fire emblem engage but not a patch on three houses for plot, combat is a lot betterthough. I also started Hogwarts Legacy aswell which looks very impressive on OLED and PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I have completed Golden Axe and Bubble Bobble.

7. The Quarry - PlayStation 5

The Quarry

Supermassive games live or die based on the narrative as there is very little 'gameplay' involved in their games. As a massive horror fan, I have enjoyed most of their previous games but this one did not gran me at all. It took too long for the main plot to kick in and once it did it was just a bland storyline with nothing really interesting. If it was a TV series I probably wouldn't have watched it until the end. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭TinCanMan

The Last Guardian [PS5] - A game that I both loved and hated. The story and the world that it plays out in are amazing with the sense of scale when outside and traversing upwards providing some exhilarating moments. The bond between the two main characters is a joy to experience and grows throughout the game. Now for the bad. The controls and camera are beyond frustrating at times and can lead to some truly rage inducing moments. In addition some of the puzzles have little logic to them and can be difficult to figure out. This aside the game was a beautiful experience and well worth playing.

Assassins Creed Black Flag [PS5] - What a joy this game is to play. It’s definitely one of the best Assassins Creed games to date and for a game almost 10 years old it still looks beautiful. The story is well written and the protagonist likeable. The ship battles add greatly to the game with some epic battles ensuing but this game is more than just that. I found the player control to be well polished as well. Overall I would thoroughly recommend this game.

Stray [PS5] - This game is visually stunning in a unique setting where you play as a cat with the ultimate aim to escape the world that you are forced into. Along the way you will encounter various puzzles and enemies. Whilst not overly challenging they do add to this unique environment. It’s a beautiful experience, especially if you are looking for something a bit different at a more relaxing pace.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons [PS5] - I can’t recommend this game enough. It really hits you in the feels. The game itself looks beautiful and has a unique playstyle as you need to control the two brothers simultaneously with the left and right analog sticks. There are various puzzles and enemies to tackle on your adventures. Whilst the game isn’t overly long it’s definitely one that everyone should experience. 

Omno [PS5] - If you need a game to relax to then this is for you. It’s a delightful indie puzzle platformer that reminds me in some ways of the playstation classic Journey. It’s never too challenging but the beautiful world and almost zen-like gameplay is ideal for someone looking for a less stressful game to play. 

8. Demon Hunter 4: Riddles of Light - PlayStation 5

Demon Hunter 4: Riddles of Light

Standard Artifex Mundi puzzle game.

Prodeus - Xbox series s

The last of us - PS4

TMNT shredders revenge - Xbox series s

1. Sonic Frontiers (PC)
    4. Aladdin (SNES)
    6. Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped (PC)
    7. Deus Ex: Invisible War (PC)

Deus Ex: Invisible War

Ah yes, the game that gave us dumbed down consolisation. For a game that caused so much uproar and gnashing of teeth I was surprised by how much I actually enjoyed it. There's a lot of truth to the criticisms this game received at the time. However when you take the game at its own merits and not compare it to what many would consider the greatest game ever made, it manages to hold its own and be a really fun and interesting adventure.

Deus Ex: Invisible War is an immersive sim set in a dystopian cyberpunk future. Playing as a member of a shadowy government agency you (very) quickly find out that said agency might not be all it seems while other shadowy conspirators pull the strings in the background trying to shape the world as they see fit. This leads to a globe trotting adventure where you part take in hacking, sneaking, sniping, back stabbing and, eh, undercovering the secret behind global coffee franchises.

Invisible War stays quite faithful to the original game. Missions can be approached in a wide variety of creative ways. Objectives can be completed to play factions against one another. You also have to make some tough choices when it comes to upgrading your agent. Do you sacrifice cloaking for the harder to level up hacking ability? The biggest issues come when you compare the game to other immersive sims and PC RPGs of the time. The original Deus Ex let the player run wild and explore large intricate levels. These presented the player with multiple ways to traverse them. While Invisible War is no slouch in the level design department, the levels are tiny in comparison to accommodate the original XBox's lack of RAM. I had to laugh in the Trier, Germany area when I asked a guard where a bar was. They told me it was at the other side of the town, which actually meant around the corner and behind the building he was patrolling. The RPG systems have been dumbed down as well. Ammo is universal, the same pistol ammo can be used to reload a rocket launcher or flamethrower. I initially liked the biomod system which locked out abilities based on your choices, a real sophies choice in the beginning of the game. However before I left the second area of the game I was already fully powered up with all the weapon and biomods I needed to complete that game.

These are all minor complaints, if Invisible War wasn't following up such a legendary game it would have been very highly regards (in fact it reviewed very well, even in PC publications). Despite the dumbing down there's a lot to like here. The level and mission structure is excellent. I really enjoyed how the game reacted to your mission choices (even though ultimately they cheated a little and made them not really matter). Story wise the game is quite interesting a makes for a compelling follow up to Deus Ex. It's a pretty bleak take on the ending of Deus Ex with similarly morally grey endings that reminded me of the Shin Megami Tensei games.

It there's one complaint to really make, it's that the game runs out of steam and feels rushed after the first 3 areas. Levels become filled with highly modified troopers that are just bullet sponges and the strategy goes out the window, replaced with pitched rocket launcher showdowns.

Don't sleep on Invisible War if you are looking for a Deus Ex follow up. Despite the annoyances there's a lot to love, if you can get over the wonky visuals and can actually get the blasted thing running.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

1. Ori and the Blind Forest
    2. The Forgotten City

Ori and the Blind Forest

Had been tipping away at Ori since it went on sale cheaply I think it was before Christmas. Handy enough to get through, enjoyable to play as the movement mechanics are good. The story is really nice. Finished it the other day as I'm making a concerted effort to get through a few games before I buy any new ones.

The Forgotten City

I finished the Forgotten City thanks to recommendations on here and thought it was excellent fun. Got the canon ending, may go back and play out the other options just to see them.

Any other games like that? I have Obra Dinn on Switch which I played a little of before but didn't get properly stuck into, I'll give that another try.

I started a new Hollow Knight save in the meantime on Switch as I played a good bit of it before and got stuck. Having finished Elden Ring last year and played a good bit of Demons Souls as well as Ori more recently I feel better equipped to have another crack at it. I loved it when I played it last but the difficulty was a bit much for me. Also played a little bit of God of War through the PS+, not the latest one the previous one. Haven't found the combat all that satisfying so far but the production values are really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

1. High on Life [Xbox]
    2. Rayman Origins [Xbox]
    3. Hi-Fi Rush [Xbox]

Hi-Fi Rush

It's actually a really good game once you get to grip with the rhythm set pieces. It also a great platformer too. Over all a great game.

• Advertisement

8. Demon Hunter 4: Riddles of Light - PlayStation 5
    9. Victor Vran (Including DLC) - PlayStation 5

Victor Vran

This is another game I had never heard of but it's due to leave PS Premium this month so I gave it a playthrough. It was good fun at the start but quickly became very repetitive. Although I've never played Diablo, this seems similar in that it's a dungeon crawler with masses of enemies to fight. You can collect various weapons and powers but I mostly used a weapon I got early enough into the game.

Fun at the start but glad to finish it in the end.

Advertisement