Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evil 2023 -17th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

So the date will be the 17th of June.

Hope to see many there on the day.

Mods. Can the thread title be updated please with 17th of June.

thanks.

1 month to go. I hope the training is going well for all this year and we see a few turn up on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

Folks just one word of warning on the route. The gap road (or sorrel hill as us locals would call it) just after ballysmutten bridge was gravel surfaced in sections there a few weeks back. I went up it recently on a CX bike and honestly it needed that bike. In my mind I wouldn't tackle it on a road bike. It's a popular training route for club mates and we've all been staying off it. May have calmed down a bit since but one to keep in mind. Be no shame skipping it and not taking the left. Go straight on up to the rowing club and around the lake from the bridge.

I can take another look at it in a couple of weeks and see what's it's like closer to the time.

Thanks, will check it soon.

That would be side we are climbing from i think so hopefully its improved by then.

I went up in it at the end of march i think and the surface was no better than usual TBH but i do love that climb and descent.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

(O/T) I've never approached it in the other direction (from Lacken) but I wouldn't fancy descending towards Ballysmuttan on the crappy surface

• Advertisement

The climb from Lacken is great given the surface also it's a steady climb and of course the views. Descending however is a shocker. Most of the time I do the lakes anticlockwise and the climb really starts at the graveyard, up to lacken, turn right and up you go to the top. All in all that's same distance and overall gradient and Shay but without the savage gradient at the start of that one.

Less than a week to go now and the weather looks like its going to be fantastic 😀.

I haven’t had the chance to get up to the Gap Road and check it out.

I was planning to this week but i wont have the time unfortunately and i hurt my foot slightly on Saturday therefore ill be resting up for the week.

So ill leave it in the route but if anyone doesn't want to take that road thats perfectly ok and totally up themselves.

We can always double back if the surface becomes an issue but it will be a month now since gmacww mentioned the road had some gravel so hopefully its fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

irishrover - has the link to the route on the opening post been updated to reflect the previous error which was highlighted? (I haven't had a chance to study it in detail yet). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

I was on Gap Rd last week, SG to Lackan direction, and it was absolutely fine to ride from a road bike pov. Loose chippings weren't an issue.

Yes, it was rectified and just had another glance over and it should be fine and up to date.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I could be a father by Saturday so I don't think I'll be making the start line. Its my best excuse yet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Plan for water stops. It was brutal out there on Sunday.

Good luck

It doesn't appear that there are any shops along the first 95k. I'm going to find that tough going as I'm not a fan of eating out of my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Nothing until Laragh really.

Best of luck all. It will be a savage day out that all sane people will rightfully avoid.

I'll be doing a completely flat spin in the opposite direction as a mark of respect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

A c'mon lads, we can get the band back together from 2016 😂

What time are you rolling out folks?

Its usually 8 am and happy to leave it as it give more time for folks to travel over to Dundrum.

I've neve finished one. Based on the Wicklow 200 I'm unlikely to ever finish one!

Ensuring it happens before Father's Day on Sunday? That's cute hoor planning if I ever saw it!

• Advertisement

I'd say bring a rain cape just in case as we could have a shower or 2 throughout the morning.

When the sun is out by midday/afternoon, it will be warm and by the looks of it a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I think mudguards, a rain jacket and over-shoes might be the first priority!

See you all in the morning.

8am roll out so meeting from about 7.45 am at the bus stop across from Joe Dalys at the Luas bridge in Dundrum.

Going with my usual preparation of a few pints of Guinness in the local followed by a nice bottle of red. It seems to have got me through every other year! See you in the morning,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Fair play to whomever turned up for it this morning - that's a grubby morning out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Things always look good at this stage!

Any update?

I recognise yourself and two others there. Who else did it? Regardless, fair play to you all 💪👍

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Advertisement

Good thongs come to those that wait! All the best for you & Ms Weepsie with this! It'd been a long time since I was in your shoes but it's a great (but scary) feeling - youse will be great

Advertisement