Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Application Timeframe….. Will Update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭clivej

Got a renewal in late December and handed in over Christmas, payment letter in mid January, licence issued last week. Licence renewal date is 8th March. And best of all NO restrictions on this license. Always on the ball here in Kilkenny City.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Well this morning got letter saying they had my renewal application and the 3 month process starts from now,which on the letter is the 4th.So for 22 days the paperwork sat somewhere doing nowt but at least I've plenty of time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Day 46 Update.

FO just called to state License had been granted. Should get the forms in the coming days 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JasonCee

Congrats :D

I think that's a fairly quick result for yourself,my first application I think took nearer 5 months.Enjoy spending money on bits and pieces that you don't need and another firearm you also don't need but just "fancy" it.

• Advertisement

I’ve already broke out excell to see where I’m going with this 🤣

My neighbor has a bet that by this time next year I’ll have another one alright 🤣

Im going to his club on Saturday as an intro!

I think we all started out with the notion 'sure one firearm is all I'll ever need'

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

Dropped a new application into Portlaoise 30th November last, got an email confirming receipt on 2nd December and received nothing since.

Day 51 Update

Grant Notice Letter and payment request received in post today.

Promptly paid in the post office on the school run.

I need the physical license for the RFD to release the firearm.

Edit. RFD will release firearm on on the grant notification and attached receipt of payment so collecting this weekend.

Post edited by Gumbo on

Think I'll move to your district. Day 86 for me and I've not even received the official notice that they received my application yet.

• Advertisement

It's amazing it makes you feel like a child waiting for Christmas morning to see if you got everything you asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JP22

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Fabarm12345

Dropped a pistol application into the Garda station on the 17th of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

I think you should call to the station where you made the application, and ask for an update (in a friendly manner), highlighting how long you've been waiting.

I'd be after reassurance that it hasn't been lost, given the sensitive personal data contained within the application, and also the name of the firearms officer, and the local super. You can then pop a friendly letter to them, asking when you'll receive a decision, given its almost 3 months since you applied.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

@Gumbo

Credit where its due, if you exclude the holiday period over Christmas and New Year's, that's a reasonably good turnaround, for a new application.

Hopefully the beginning of a good and long term relationship, with your local FO, and his/her Super.

Thanks,

G.

If Im not getting a response within 4 weeks I'd be phoning up the FO. But then I have a very good relationship with my FO and in a good district.

100%.

My local station don’t have a FO anymore seemly, so 3 areas of North Dublin go to Blanchardstown. I have his name and number and I’ll give him a courtesy call in a few weeks and ask him for his opinion if I should lodge any future applications directly to blanch as it sat in my local station for a month before he got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Theirishman

New first time application lodged on 7/2/23 for rifle & shotgun, grant letter arrived today, 14/2/23.

Better than the couple of months I was waiting for same when I lived in the UK.

Fair play to the Guards, Im chuffed.

Mayo area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Once again this is where it all falls down. Nowhere in the Firearms Act does it allow for festive or holiday periods, to the contrary it specifically states 3 months from lodgment of application. These same 3 months, in renewal terms, are being used by particular districts (Wexford as an example) to attempt to prosecute firearms holders, but what is sauce for the goose is also sauce for the gander. If the system and the people using the system are not fit for purpose then we should be looking to change it, by the only avenue available to us i.e. the courts.

As an anecdote, with Gardai keeping a close eye on this forum, (as can be seen from recent court case), it is very coincidental that because Gumbo broadcast and kept us informed of how he was treated all the way, that lo and behold, everything worked out in the permitted timeframe.

Judestynes, maybe this is the way to go?

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

I'm very well accustomed to delays. As I have stated here before many times. I haven't had an application or renewal processed in under 6 months and I don't see this one being any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JasonCee

First of all congrats and that certainly was really quick, youre a lucky lad! Out of curiosity what rifle did you decide on as a new applicant as I am eager to pick a rifle up soon.

Ruger 10/22

Stainless steel carbine model with 18.5” barrel and synthetic stock.

There will be less Ruger parts by tomorrow as I have in front of me waiting to be fitted if I get time ;

Magpul XHunter stock in OD Green.

Kidd bolt assembly.

Kidd charging handle.

Kidd drop in trigger group.

kidd auto bolt release.

kidd buffer pin.

Kidd guide rod and spring kit.

That will be a great shooting rifle, the best you can get.

Aim small and get along to the competitions with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Intresting little bit in the Irish law Journal on firearms court cases in the DC and costs.

Be AWARE that costs are at a judge's discretion,not an automatic granting,as whoever it was who took this to the HC found out.It says so quite clearly in the Dist court act of 2013. Costs MAY be awarded.Not will be. https://www.decisis.ie/no-jurisdiction-to-award-costs-in-successful-firearms-appeal-in-the-district-court/?fbclid=IwAR1CToypsyaxxGVzr2oCyPvrnf9GYXjTFb4DnE9hNON2Z7PV2Vv1rBeC2OM

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Day 57 Update.

To more or less close out this thread.

Firearms Certificate Card arrived in todays post.

Has an “S” on it which I assume is the moderator (Silencer).

It is indeed, enjoy.

Aim small, hit hard

• Advertisement

To reply to myself, renewal grant Letter came this morning so sent in 12th January and received 1st march so that's not too bad.

Advertisement