Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abstaining from sugar

Options
  • 26-12-2022 5:35pm

I abstained from eating sugary foods for the past six months. For Christmas I decided to buy some treats. I bought a pavalova stack and a bottle of freeway cola from Lidl. The pavalova stack was nice but the freeway cola was like drinking chemicals. I was surprised that I didn't feel like reaching for more after it was finished which was normally the case in the past. I can confidently say that now I have broken my sugar addiction and don't miss it at all.

Has anyone given up sugar before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Buying a pavlova stack and a bottle of freeway cola is the sugar equivalent of shooting up with a bag of heroin after going cold turkey for six months. Why would you even do that?

Moderation is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭sniperman

ps.it was hard to give up the salt,but not so much the sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I was once a four heaped tea spoons of sugar in tea type of guy. Decided not to have sugar in drinks and have been drinking tea and coffee without sugar for years now. Occasionally cups will get mixed up and I'll get my sons tea with 3 spoons of tea in it and I can smell the sugar even without tasting it. Taste wise tea with sugar is now totally foul as far as I'm concerned.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ax530

To give up sugar ... How detailed do you need to be checking ingredients or is it mostly chocolate, cake, fizzy drinks? Alcohol?

Might give it a go

I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything. I didn't finish the freeway cola. I only drank a quater of a bottle.

• Advertisement

Pretty much anything with obvious signs of sugar - cereal, chocolate, biscuits, cake etc. There are sugar free alternatives but they aren't the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Saw this video ages ago about the effect of giving up refined sugar and switching to fruit sugars

Basically your sense of taste adapts to stop craving refined sugar. Apparently after about a month food and drink with a lot of refined sugar stops tasting good and starts to have a bitter taste

I've no idea how much truth there is to it and frankly it sounds like pseudo science. Human perception is a tricky thing, all yours senses are jumbled up together and if you're not interested in a particular food then it'll probably be unappetising

From your experience it sounds like you're experiencing at least some of it. You're probably experiencing the "true" taste of the cola because your body isn't noticing the sugar as much or something

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Out of curiosity, did you notice any benefits (or drawbacks) from avoiding sugar?

One would assume you'd be less pushed towards junk food and this would have a positive effect on your health

Just don't eat cereals, chocolate, biscuits, cake etc or the sugar free alternatives. Its not difficult.

I just wish it was as easy to ween myself of salt.

Yes. I noticed that sugar is pretty much laced in everything. When you give it up you eat healthier. Sugar is only put in food so it will sell. I tried eating sugar free breakfast cereal and it tastes like cardboard and milk so I figured why eat cereal at all then? I find you sleep better and urinate less often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

I might try giving it up for a few weeks, what's a typical daily sugar free diet and is it sustainable realistically?

Why go all out in one go? Why not cut out obvious things with sugar and sweetener first. If that works for you then you can start tracking down all more hidden sources of sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

I try to eat as little processed food as possible and I've been trying to lose weight, so I've also been trying to avoid homemade high sugar or fat foods (like cakes, biscuits, pastries, etc).

I've found I taste the natural sugars in foods more, so for e.g. I have porridge with sultanas for breakfast and it's plenty sweet enough.

Personally, I think I'd be setting myself up for failure if I tried to convince myself I was going to cut out something like sugar completely - the aforementioned sultanas have plenty sugar in them and I use ingredients like honey, maple syrup, malt extract in my cooking, so I know I'm still using 'sugar'. There's a world of difference though between making your own honey mustard glaze for your ham and scarfing down a whole sleeve of Oreos!

As I've got older I've noticed that the times I've been at my healthiest weight was when I was poorest. I've rarely had to go without, but when money was short my meals were very simple. The food shopping was done to an exact plan, no extras, and if there were leftovers they were always used up. I'm doing just about ok financially at the moment, but I'm trying to recapture that shopping and eating like a pauper to drop my current excess baggage!

The food industry spends a lot of effort and money in trying to convince us all to pay more for our food. They push the idea of convenience in many ways, not just whole ready meals, but also prepared meat and veg. Why charge 50c a kilo for spuds when you can wash them and charge €1 a kilo? Or even, peel them as well, and charge €4 a kilo! Tesco Oyster Chicken Thighs are €3.32/kg, they put a bit of sage and onion stuffing in them and the price goes up to €9.26/kg. This is the 'Value Added' principle. That by simply doing something, anything, they can charge more for it and persuade you that you're worth it because you have far better things to do than slave away in the kitchen peeling spuds. But this is perhaps a discussion for a different thread.

Back to sugar - it comes in many forms (fructose, glucose, lactose, maltose etc) and is a natural component of many foods - be not afraid! Added sugar is the thing to try to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

These threads always make me wonder just how much sugar people are eating that they feel the need to give it up for health reasons. Like, are people actually eating an entire sleeve of Oreo cookies in one go? I wouldn't eat a packet of biscuits over the course of an entire year. And it's not because I'm a particular Holy Joe, I just don't see the appeal. Likewise the "bag of jellies in one sitting" brigade. I actually don't know anyone who does that. I don't think I'm *that* much of an outlier but maybe I'm just oblivious/naive.

Some people just don't have a clue and are shocked when its spelled out to them. I have a true story about a checkout operator who when she picked up a kilo tub of muesli I was buying said its nice. In the ensuing conversation it transpired that she had eaten a whole 1kg tub of it the night before while watching tele. She was shocked when I checked the label and explained she had eaten around 4000kCal as a snack. Her comment was I thought it was supposed to be good for you :-0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Xander10

Personally I find the snacks are the killer. It's relatively easy to make healthy meals but then going down for a cup of tea it's easy enough to dip into the cupboard for a snack or two

I agree with the fruit sugars, I find porridge with a banana and a bit of honey tastes much better than a spoonful or two of sugar. Not as sweet but just a nicer taste

I'm not sure switching from refined sugars to fruit sugars is healthier by itself, but I think if you can get into the habit of having a piece of fruit for a snack instead of a few biscuits then that's likely a healthier outcome

The food industry has definitely spent years perfecting the art of upselling food. M&S are the best (worst) for this, their entire business model is around selling big ready meals at a premium price which often don't taste any better than a homemade meal

I agree trying to prepare a meal from base ingredients is the healthiest approach, and as you say often the cheapest. It depends on your circumstances somewhat. If you've a family and everyone eats the same thing then batch cooking is great. It's a bit more annoying when you're own and you end up with 2 weeks worth of stew

I think it's also worth managing your expectations slightly, there's some days when I just want something quick and easy or I want to treat myself, or I just don't have the time or energy to cook something

To me it's more about the overall picture, if you managed 5 or 6 days of the week eating decent food then you don't need to beat yourself up over the couple of days you indulged yourself

Ah to be fair with that amount of fibre intake she probably only absorbed 5% of the calories before the rest was... expelled

I start my day with a fruit smoothie - blended citrus fruits, skimmed milk and protein powder. This is followed by bacon, eggs and toast. Dinner normally consists of rice/potatoes and some meat. Then I might have a toastie in the evening. That's it.

Prior to this I was eating anywhere between 500 - 1000 kcalories of some sugary junk food a day. I still haven't given pringles up yet? I eat them quite regularly. They also have sugar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭positron

My experience is that once you give up sugar, your senses adapt and you will really start tasting what's naturally sweet.

I didn't know regular milk is sweet until I gave up sugar. Even rice has a sweetness to it.

Why Pringles of all things? If I was to pick a snack I'd go with popcorn or something

Everyone has their dietary kryptonite, mine is just opening the packet, no point putting it back in the cupboard, might as well eat it all.

Haha, fair enough, my weak spot is donuts. I lose all forms of self control around them

I could quite happily get through a pack of SuperValu jam donuts in half a day, and feel like crap for the next two days 😭

I ask myself the same question. Ithink it's because they have sugar in them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭babyducklings1

Same here, and occasionally people sugar my tea or coffee by mistake and I can’t stand it, too sweet. It’s just a question of adapting. Don’t even like desserts anymore. The only time I like sugary things is when I’m sick. I still eat fruit but not too much as only like some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Are you just talking about added sugar here?

Your body NEEDS sugar to survive and your body will make it no matter what abstaining efforts your at.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Your body doesn't need sugar to survive that's pure bull.

Your body is ultimately fueled by sugar, the process of digestion breaks down proteins and carbohydrates in sugars as well as other nutrients for your body to function

The problem with eating foods with added sugar is that it's effectively free energy for your body, so any additional fuel will be stored for later as fat

Refined sugar also doesn't help you feel full, despite giving you a reward sensation for eating something you enjoy. That's how you can eat 4000 calories worth of chocolates and still feel hungry a short while later.

Meanwhile your body is going mental from all the free energy it just got, has nothing to do with the excess so it's just floating around your system and has gotten barely any nutrition, so your overall health will be getting worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Advertisement