Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best way dealing with neighbour throwing stuff in your garden

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,195 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just call in for the Christmas and you will find out.

For some context. It would appear that the OP wasn't giving us the full story here. What the neighbour is throwing back is part of the OPs tree that overhung the boundary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭893bet

For some context, it would appear you haven’t read the full thread and the OP has answered the same already. Unless rocks and stuff grow on trees.

• Advertisement

No, I read it, don't worry. Both the OP and his neighbour are being coonts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭893bet

I always suspect the same. Generally takes two to tango.

Go back and read the thread properly... These are two separate issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭ratracer

That’s a head wreck of a situation. Whatever happened with the unwanted wall painting? You seem to have an unfortunate set of neighbours OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My late father had trouble with neighbours throwing cigarette butt's into his garden for years , after speaking to them many times without resolve he eventually blocked a gulley directing rainwater directly into their back garden .

Every time , there was a period of heavy rain he flooded their garden ,eventually creating a swamp for them.

You just got to be creative OP.

• Advertisement

I had the paint taken off back in October. Ye I seem to have fallen into an unfortunate situation where I have a few issues going on. How and ever it's a house we bought for investment reasons and have no long term plan to live in it. I'd say we will sell it on in the next 2 to 3 years when the market picks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,650 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

market picks up? i wouldnt be holding on to a residential property asset expecting it to pick up over the next 2-3 years (and i am no doom and gloom merchant)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭ratracer

Good luck with it, nothing worse than bad neighbours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,368 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Mother of god, just knock in and talk to the man.

Grown adults tying themselves into knots over what should be a completely straightforward conversation. I'll never get my head around some people.

Is someone who throws crap over your garden wall worthy of a straightforward reasonable conversation ? I'd rather go around to him with firm evidence with that he is doing. People like that you sort of have to have a higher leg when dealing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,368 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There could be a perfectly innocent explanation. As others have said, it might be a child doing it, he might have thought they came from your garden in the first place, etc. The quickest and easiest way to find out is just ask politely. I've no idea why people always want to assume the worst and go straight to Defcon 4 with talk of cameras and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

The market is topping out now( In Dublin market) , prices will then start going down from Jan 2023. It sounds like you need to have a talk with your neighbour.

If there is no communication between you both, small issues will grown into bigger issues, he has just moved in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@kravmaga: The market is topping out now( In Dublin market) , prices will then start going down from Jan 2023.

I've hear rumours like that almost every year and with the exception of the crash over a decade ago, it fails to come true. Demand is still way higher than supply!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dump it back.. I had that with a neighbour in the UK for years..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've had similar happen before at random times and used to just throw it back. Then chatting to another neighbour I decided to bring it up with them directly. Neighbour apologised profusely and it turned out it was guests throwing their rubbish over cans, cigarette butts etc. Never happened again.

As they're newly moved in could be same scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

How big are the rocks? Could it be an animal like a dog? It shows your mentality that you are absolutely sure it is this man without any evidence whatsoever and without speaking to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

This may well be a v simple misunderstanding that has grown, doesn't justify what his is doing but bringing evidence on your initial meeting mightn't be the best approach. He may well see the slight on your part, it could be a random incident of music too loud, parking in front of house etc etc but best to determine why he is doing it first. He knows at this stage that you know what he is doing - he may well be wondering why you haven't approached him already! Approaching him on your first meeting with evidence is too confrontational - try to determine what started the issue by introducing yourself, perfect time of year for it. Bring out the evidence at a later time once you've gotten more clarity on the situation.

Having seen a family member go through years of aggro, her watching and waiting when relations broke down with a neighbour - and in doing so became mildly obsessed, both family member and neighbours health deteriorated through the years and you could almost feel the tension in the house when visiting. All started over some minor slight that both felt was justified and allowed to escalate because neither tried to get to root of issue.

I don't know but one thing I am dreading is when I do catch him I have to deal with him, hopefully he isn't a confrontational type. I just want to tell him how it is and go. " I know your throwing stuff into my garden, do it again and the cops can deal with you, goodbye ". Go home and hopefully that will be the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

But the cops won't do anything, so why say that?

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just say something like "maybe one of your kids was doing it & could you ask them to stop" and don't let on that you know he doesn't have kids. See what his reaction is before you say much else.

No point making threats if you aren't prepared to follow through on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭JoChervil

OP, maybe their other neighbour is throwing stuff to their garden and they throw it to yours thinking that it was you doing it? Having a conversation with them and explaining is the best solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Deregos.

The Gardaí will have absolutely no interest whatsoever in your neighbours antics, its a civil matter.

Some time back we had a dispute with our then neighbours that went on for years about the location of a boundary wall. They resulted to all types of nasty tricks to intimidate and aggravate us. One time when we were on holiday, they even stole our rubbish bags, dumped them on the roadside and reported us for littering. At no point did we ever lower ourselves to their level and over time accumulated a large file of evidence and photos for our solicitor to help fight the case should it ever go to court, which it didn't thankfully. In the end, helped by the stuff we had gathered against them, they agreed through their solicitor to allow us to decide the location for the boundary and they sold their house. There's nothing wrong with recording what takes place in your own back garden, and anything that'll help stop this situation escalating and lead to a peaceful solution, has gotta be a positive thing for all involved. Keep your cool, remember you're in the right, and never get involved in any stupid 'tit for tat' type retaliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ManyMondays

Humanity is getting worse! What happened to basic human respect and courtesy 🤦‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well, after several decades of nastiness, disputes begrudgery etc in various places in various places I found the ultimate solution..

My nearest neighbours here are five fields away in each direction... Perfect! ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭patnor1011

And maybe opposite happens and instead of "that will be the end of it" it will all escalate.

My neighbour does have his bins in area which gets some strong drafts or something when there is bit of a wind outside. I am finding even flattened cans all over my garden not to mention paper and plastic bags. Rocks are different matter but here is what I would do - next time you see him ask him if he finds rocks, plastic and paper in his garden too as someone is throwing that stuff in yours. Tell him you are on a hunt to catch whoever it is doing it and if it is happening to him too he can help you find out who it may be... That should sort it out unless he is really doing it and is dumb enough to continue. Or perhaps he may be holding grudge against something you do. Music too loud, dog barking constantly something like that, maybe something you do not consider irritating may be driving him mad.

Advertisement