Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term plan for smoking ban

Options
  • 13-12-2022 9:02pm

"New Zealand has passed into law a plan to stamp out tobacco smoking over time by imposing a lifetime ban on young people buying cigarettes. 

Tobacco will not be able to be sold to anyone born on or after 1 January 2009, so the minimum age for buying cigarettes will keep rising."

I think it's a good idea, and I'm a person who smokes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Cant see an issue I used to smoke now I vape. It's not like drinking were there are some positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭jackboy

A bit slow. I think it would be better to just announce a year to ban them, maybe in three or four years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

And are you happy to pay the massive tax increase to cover the cost?

Vast savings to be made to the health system so the cost may not be much. Also, will save thousands of lives so I think worth a fair bit of cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

More nanny state nonsense by Saint Jacinda, the woman is a pure sickner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

More of a fan of adult education rather than Government taken away more freedoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You would wonder why a law is even needed, its not something I gave a lot of thought to but with all the information out there about the dangers of smoking why on earth would any teenager even think about starting the habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Very very few young people smoke these days, and I always look at the very few who are, and think to myself “wtf went wrong here?”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I thought they did this years ago?

But, anyway, as a smoker, I think this is a good idea. I don't agree with prohibition of any drug, but ultimately removing tobacco products from Centra, and the like, can only be good. But it needs to be done in a way which reduces the possibility of black markets.

Maybe if someone wants to buy expensive cigars from online stores and stuff, ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

I doubt it will really lead to 0 percent of people born afer 2009 becoming smokers. Even though New Zealand is remote, illegal cigarette trafficking does exist there and will become a growing issue. Just like in Australia where smoking tobacco is super expensive so they just get illegal tobacco from nearby Indonesia.

It might increase stigma of smoking tobacco as a bad thing but for some it could be seen as a status symbol, just like the usage of cocaine.

Had they legalized cannabis, then maybe, but they didn't do that. The people voted against that in referendum.

• Advertisement

What will they do to fill that tax void? They must have made a killing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's surely dwarfed by the spend on resulting health issues

• Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should make it that you need to buy a minimum of a carton at a time, €155 a go at current prices, would be biggest deterrent for newbies and a wake up call for addicts. Only sell them in licenced shops that only sell tobacco, 1 outlet per large town making them a pain in the hole to buy.

Na doubt it, I think those people will go black market or find something else to destroy their body’s with.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Doc07

Fantastic. Stamp it out, no reason to cave and just accept another generation of smokers.

Something similar for bariatric surgery worth considering also.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Doc07

Unfortunately many never smokers vape instead and get addicted to that.

Very little savings to be made on health. And any that can be made wouldn't be made for many years/decades. And easily dwarved by the massive tax and pension holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Wonder what will happen once those born that year get to vote. In any case doesn't NZ have one of the world's highest per-capita weed consumption?

Hard to believe. Smoking is one of the biggest killers and destroyers of health.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

Well done 'cinda. Governments banning the taxable legal sale of products is a great idea. Look how well that system is turning out with illegal narcotics.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd say the average cancer treatment costs the equivalent of a good few years of pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Ireland set a goal of becoming tobacco free by 2025, I wonder how that's going. It hasn't been updated since 2019, the pandemic may have had an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I smoked my first cigarette when I was 28 and for about 5 years then but I think that is the reason I found it easier to stop. Even knowing how harmful it is, I am not sure I agree with telling adults what they can and can't do to themselves.

It's not about adults. It's about taking a whole generation out of being able to legally purchase cigarettes.

So they might not do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭standardg60

Pie in the sky nonsense. Resultant health costs are always given as an excuse to increase taxes on cigarettes.

People will still die of something regardless, extending their lifespan by encouraging healthier living is only going to increase the cost of their healthcare. Do you think people who've never smoked require shorter or longer healthcare towards the end of their life?

It's a complete red herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,867 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Young people these days don't smoke, they vape. It's far cheaper and no harm done except to those who object to the smell of fruit flavoured vapour.

Weed maybe the smoke of choice also instead of tobacco. That's probably cheaper too.

And those who don't die from smoking always live perfectly healthy lives until they die suddenly and cheaply?

There is no evidence to suggest that smoking causes significant additional health costs. Any study that has claimed it does has always been sponsored by vested interests (and often debunked when an analysis of the study is done*) while any attempt at an independent study has always been supressed.

*The reality is that it is very difficult to determine what impact, if any smoking has on healthcare. Studies from vested interests typically attribute the cause to smoking if the victim was a smoker, regardless of whether or not it was - e.g. if a person has a heart attack and they were a smoker - that is counted as a smoking-related issue regardless of the fact that plenty of non-smokers have heart attacks. Nobody can actually say if smoking was the cause. Likewise, many, many, many non-smokers suffer from Cancer, but if a "smoker" suffers from Cancer - it is "because of the fags". This type of false statistical study was made infamous in recent years when "every patient diagnosed with Covid" was considered "in hospital due to Covid" when the reality was most of those patients were in hospital for a different reason and picked up Covid while in there (similarly, when a patient died, if they were found to have Covid, they were included in the Covid deaths regardless of the actual cause of death). Also, you have to ask, what is a smoker? Someone who smoked heavily in their twenties but hasn't smoked a single cigarette in the last 50 years? What if they only gave up 10 years ago? What if they only had the occasional smoke on the rare night out as opposed to 2 packs a day every day for 60 years?

What about the non-smokers? We know that, statistically, they live a few years longer? But isn't a huge part of our healthcare bill spent on looking after the elderly and infirmed? The older someone becomes, the more likely they are to require treatment/surgeries for this, that and the other. Likewise, they will typically require far more expensive palliative and geriatric care in their final years, having outlived their spouse and other close relatives. Is the "hospital bed crisis" not down to the fact that there are so many elderly people using the beds because they are too old to be discharged and have nobody to look after them?

Ultimately, the anti-smoking brigade can't have it both ways. You can't say smokers die younger and smokers cost more. By dying a few years younger, the average smokers saves this (and every) country a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Exactly. So now the dealers have one more product to push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

It's gas tbh the amount of pills and stuff old people end up on is staggering. Then you have dementia stuff like that. Current med tech is so advanced it's actually keeping us alive longer than the body currently functions properly. Obviously that may change in time.

Advertisement