Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Ah its only a head cold"

Options
  • 13-12-2022 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

One disturbing trend I have seen since the demise of COVID is the return of people spewing their non-COVID germs all over the fecking shop with reckless impunity. Things that should have been confined to the past like fellas showing up to work shpluttering and leaving a trail of misery behind them because they need the extra few quid to buy their child a new iPhone for Christmas, are starting to see a comeback. It was absolutely wonderful for over two years not picking up whatever bug was "going around", spending a few days in bed with a 10-litre bucket under your nose feeling absolutely miserable and hardly able to function.

Few months ago I arranged to meet up with someone who only revealed they had a cold when we met. I nearly went mad, but somehow managed to stay calm. I would never be so selfish to meet up with someone knowing I had a good chance of infecting them. I don't understand why people do it? Do they not feel like absolute sh1te when they pick up these kinds of ailments and wouldn't they much rather be at home? Maybe I suffer a lot more with them than other people. Anyway, fcuk colds and the people who spread them knowingly

/rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Humans coexist with viruses, and to do that they need exposure to them.

All the scared little hypochondriacs are going to do is have their children die off in various painful ways because they didn't let them play outside and become exposed to germs.

People who live in bubbles will come to rely on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭DBK1

That’s it in a nut shell. Sorry @Ubbquittious but you may be over reacting here. I absolutely agree that good manners shouldn’t be left behind and no one should be coughing and spluttering on top of anyone else but there’s no reason for anyone with a bit of a runny nose to be staying at home locked up.

People need to be exposed to normal everyday germs and build up their immune systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Good luck getting the vast majority of employers agreeing to let their staff stay at home every time they have a cold.

Get on with your life and let your immune system worry about seasonal viruses.

• yeah being sick is shite but it’s a bit of a piss take in the times we’re in to suggest that people coming to work with colds or something else mild are doing it to buy their kids an iPhone.

Mate if they’re anything like me, they’re just tryna pay the essential bills. Besides that everyone gets a bit too soft about colds. I don’t think it’s right to go into a nursing home if you have the flu, but going to a workplace of reasonably healthy folks with a wee cold? Sure what about it.

Our chaps go to school if they have a small cold or mild dose as well if it’s more serious they stay at home. The pandemic was a bit of a wind up as well at some points, but sure we didn’t know what we were up against at the time so. Colds and the usual winter doses are standard craic and no big deal. They’re around all year and no matter what you’ll end up exposed at some stage.

Isolating yourself over a flipping head cold is lunatic behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Nope, I'd feel more guilty for cancelling plans last minute for a sniffle tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Total overreaction op, now i will admit people coughing and sneezing without covering their mouth makes me want to kill them, regardless of if they have a cold or not. But apart from that it's business as usual.PS i have a head cold and am still going to the office and pub ect

• Registered Users Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Whatever about the eejits turning up with symptoms of a respiratory virus. what about the managers ? Any job I’ve had, had a fitness for duty policy or some similarly named caveat in their HR manual…. You are ill ? Don’t come to work… if you are a manager, you need to enforce it..l

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

unfortunately covid has warped a few minds... perspective about common mild illnesses has been lost. A run of the mill sneeze or a cough draws unapproving glances from some.

Coughs and sneezes are evidence of an immune system actually working exactly as it should.

There was a time a post like this would get you Threadbanned or directed towards the conspiracy theories forum..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

They're blaming the current rise in off-season Step A infections (and bad reactions to it) to the fact that kids haven't been exposed to it during the Covid pandemic, when everyone stayed at home. Same with RSV.

And yet, the advice if you have any kind of bug is "stay at home to stop the spread". That's only going to perpetuate the problem.

If you're sick enough to be in bed, sure - stay in bed. If you're just a bit sniffly, don't go coughing and spluttering on people, and wash your hands - but we can't be hiding away from everything. Being out and about can actually do wonders to help recover from illnesses like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Should have kept masks mandatory for shops and public transport.

Too many people seem to go out of their way to spread whatever delightful affliction they’ve “picked up” this week.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭timmyntc

"Spreading the germy love" is an important part of herd immunity against infections that are for the most part mild.

Advocating for infection controls on the general public has been proven to weaken peoples immune systems, which is now putting childrens lives at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Kids will get their “bits and pieces” in the crèche, play school and school. They don’t need adults who act like big children snotting on them.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

They don't need adults who act like big babies smothering them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

And you know what makes things even worse, covid can feel like a cold in some people. And antigen tests are unreliable. So these idiots could be spreading covid to you and you just don't know how you will cope with a covid infection and that goes for reinfection as well. I knew someone who had covid twice, first time was like a cold to them and the second time being vaccinated and they ended up in the hospital.

Go to Africa and tell them to spread Ebola. Everyone needs a dose of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Maybe make a homeopathic tincture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Another way to look at it is that the day of hiding from every sniffle, of frowning at the sneezer etc are over.

Thankfully too

Are you putting covid and the flu on the same level as a cold?

• Advertisement

Adult immune systems need the same training as children - we exist in a world with a continuous arms-race against viruses and bacteria. They do not stop for us, they will continue to adapt and change.

We need regular exposure to keep ourselves prepared and able to deal with any more dangerous variants that may arise. If you get infected with a headcold or seasonal bug, you gain immunity not just to that specific infection, but many others that share the same structure or lineage. Some of which can be much much nastier.

If you aren't getting snotted on, you are putting yourself at higher risk than those who do.

You said yourself that Covid is only like a cold for some people. There is such as thing as mild flu too.

People die every year from the flu, Covid isn't the big scary monster we once believed it to be.

Now, do you think Covid, seasonal colds and flu are comparable to ebola? Your previous post suggested you do.

Where did you get your epidemiology degree from?

What about covid and how you don't get immunity from getting infected?

Solution for germophobes.

The rest of us can carry on as normal, as humans have for millennia.

You do get immunity from previous infections, it just isnt permanent. At least, the antibodies arent. The other immune responses may still prove long lasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

You can wear yours if you like. Nobody will mind. I still see the odd person driving around in the car by themselves with a mask on.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

They absolutely should not! If people want to mask up their choice I’m getting on with my life though and not wearing a mask to validate their irrational fears.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

what even is a head cold?

Not seeing the OP say anything about a sniffle or mere runny nose or very mild cold... yet people are pretending they did. I don't get that.

Coming into work when you're so sick that you should be in bed, is infuriating. It makes other people as sick - and those who have asthma or bad sinuses may end up with a chest infection/sinus infection.

It's counter productive too, because going into work when you should be in bed is just going to make you more sick, so eventually you'll have to stay home anyway, maybe for even longer than the 48 hours max that you originally needed. And if you have to go to the doctor, well that's money blown on consultation, prescription and antibiotic.

However, obviously you can't be staying home from work if you have a sniffle but feel perfectly fine otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

When you stick your head in the fridge for too long wondering what to have for dinner and you have the sniffles when you close the door.

Advertisement