Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless homeowner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,238 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If you get married and have 3 kids and the oldest of them starts primary school, you're probably not going to be as footloose and fancy free and able to feck off to work in Australia for a year as your single twin brother is. These are decisions you make. They have consequences.

Plenty of people were "trapped" when the last bust hit. It's not that long ago. Buying a house can be a big commitment. You know that buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Literally none of that has anything to do with this thread.

The point is that if you enter into a long term commitment (i.e. a mortgage) then it might affect the ease at which you can do other things (i.e. travel or move abroad).

If you are unable to figure that out, and you learn the hard way, it is not reasonable for you to expect to be able to demand at that point that the system change to suit your particular whims.

Off on yet another tangent.

People can hardly plan around rules that don't exist when they are making decisions. Though it seems clear that you don't rent something you might want to use yourself in the future. As there is no guarantee you'll regain control of it. Best left empty.

It seems clear however that the govt is trying to deflect from their lack of delivery of housing, by another one knee jerk reaction that will only exasperate the crisis.

It was widely commented at the time that their once off moratorium on evictions was unlikely to be one off as was stated.

This isn't about mortgages. You might not have a mortgage and have the same issue.

It's about rentals. The govt are making it more attractive to leave a place empty than rent it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Unfortunately it's renters and people wanting to rent finding out the hard way as more and more properties are lost in the rental market.

That would be easily fixed with a proper vacant house levy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I think a lot would prefer to pay the levy. I know 2 houses beside here empty. The owner died in 1 in 2014 and its sitting and the other had tenants until around August or September

I said it here before that I even know an auctioneer who has a house that's empty. They've been asked many times if they'll rent it and they won't so what does that say?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think the government plans to build 10kunits per year. They are offering grants to repair old derelict propertys. They are also providing housing for ukrainian immigrants. the problem is the supply of rental units cannot keep. Up with demand. Also some landlords are opting to leave the market

Teachers and nurses are leaving ireland as they cant find good rental accomodation at reasonable price

Meanwhile theres 1000s of empty boarded up council flats all around the country

We have been in a housing crisis for at least 7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Open to challenge constitutionally, what’s next a bedroom tax on people who have more rooms in their houses than people, to get them to either rent them out or move to smaller houses? Because that’s where it’s going, oh and that would apply to renters as well as homeowners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

And they need 100k units per year for 5 to 10 years to meet demand, replacement stock and "social needs". This is not 100,000 houses but it is 100k housing units per year of which 50k can be studios, apartments and multi occupancy housing (all of which are badly needed). They need to implement protections for landlords e.g. wage and social welfare garnishing for unpaid rents and independently assessed damage. Also effective eviction laws and proper enforcement of same as soon as they relieve the very worst of the rental crisis. Nobody should be homeless and couch surfing when they can't get their house back from their renters.

Death a of thousand paper cuts. But the next cut will fix it. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Serves her right. Landlords do not add any value or provide any housing, rather they buy up housing and rent it at a higher than cost price to people who don´t have access to enough capital to buy housing. Renting out a property is per definition theft and we need to have no sympäthy for landlords.

Would my own landlord be in the same situation, I might have him sleep right in front of the d oor of the apartment I rent off him as a form of sympathy. Maybe if I feel particularly generous I´d throw him a blanket or two to stay warm. There´s a little roof in front of the door so less rain would fall on him. And that´s about as much sympathy as I´d have.

If you leave a place empty it runs the risk of being squatted. While squatting is illegal in Ireland it doesn´t mean that it never happens, just like when you leave your bike out on the streets for too long it can be stolen.

Ok so sell all your property then. That´s the intended outcome. More property on market will eventually mean lower property prices.

In fact in ireland you can sell your house and that is still one of the legal reasons to evict a tenant.

But not during an eviction ban like now.

In my country (netherlands) tenants have the right to remain in situ even when you sell the house so maybe count your blessings in ireland.

There are mechanisms to end tenancy in ireland, just not during an eviction ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

But sure look you don’t have to worry all the landlords are selling up the first chance they get, so soon enough there won’t be any landlords and you won’t have to worry about them stealing your money. Then you’ll be able to buy a house instead of renting, should be easy enough seeing as all the landlords will be gone and they seem to be the source of the problem, well according to yourself anyway?

Vacant procession often a requirement of the bank who's giving the mortgage.

The rules for tenants are stricter in the NI than in Ireland. Maybe they should also count their blessings.

Only if it meets or exceeds demand. Which it won't. It also removes more rental capacity and housing capacity from the market.

• Advertisement

Squatting is low risk in Ireland. Even the high profile cases have all got thrown out in recent years.

You can't rent if there are no landlords. What happens then....

You can also "challenge" it based on the judge not wearing his hat or taking his oath properly if you want.

What is your source for the 100k per year for 10 years? I just ask because that is more than 50% of the currently occupied stock

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Unsupervised

Just another person who failed to understand the consequences of becoming a landlord.

” Have a go landlords” should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It should be obvious by now that the rules are against small landlords. It isn't a good idea to rent a property out for a year while you work abroad. You would need to take the cost of leaving the property empty into account. This will of course lead to some people preferring to leave properties empty rather than let them. The government I am sure (I hope) is aware of this and thinks it is still worthwhile to bring in rules like the eviction ban.

Now with the inability to properly vet tenants to see if they are working, small landlords are having to take unacceptable risk. If someone damages a property and they are on welfare, you might €5 a week from them. Landlords can complain about the rules, but the only other options in government would prefer to have someone pay nothing with no ability to evict.

Property investment really only makes sense as part of a company now, with more than 100 properties, then it becomes a numbers game. There will always be delinquent properties, the profit from the rest needs to make up for it. Overall, I think this probably results in a better rental market.

Rules and regulations change all the time, particularly when there is a crisis as there is in the property market at the moment. The landlord in question here should have seen that over Covid with the eviction bans we had at that time. While I feel sorry for her, it seems she didn't really think this through. Renting out a property is not something to be entered into lightly. The property is not your "home" at that point, it becomes your investment and the rules and expectations around investments are completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

In fairness, the rules tend not to change mid process in other businesses. Notice is given and existing processes are allowed to play out and be completed before the new rules take effect. The landlord in this case had issued the correct notice of termination and had given additional notice period as courtesy. The Government changed the rules long after she had given said notice. She is a fringe case, an outlier, but she is still unfairly left with a place of her own to sleep despite following the rules. It is inexcusable to defend the Government in such circumstances and it is simply not right to brush her aside as just another LL wanting their property back. The new rules should have only been applied for tenancies which had not yet received notice of termination. Another botched job by the powers that be.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 21,741 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

In most countries in Europe other than Ireland and UK, selling with sitting tenants is common. Leases are for multiple years and tenants rent unfurnished properties, often fitting their own kitchen suite etc. Security of tenure, coupled with mechanisms to evict in the event of non payment.

In Ireland we are trending towards this but we need to add proper methods to deal with non payment,

In the UK you can evict under section 26 without cause. So it's worse than here again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It should be very clear at this point that the rules change frequently and without warning the property letting business now. She only rented it out a year and a half ago. I think any landlord expecting to get their property back on the day the lease ends is naive at best. You only have to look at the difficulty to evict tenants who are not paying, it does not make sense to rent 1 property out. If you can't afford to either leave your property empty for 1 year and you can't afford to have your property unavailable in 1 years time, then unfortunately you cannot afford to go and live abroad for a year.

Advertisement