Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer ad from the early 90s - help a girl out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

this ? Its probably a harp or tennents  ad. maybe that will narrow it down.

Post edited by xxxxxxl on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Nope. It's literally a woman in stockings and a ridiculously short, swishy skirt walking into a bar while the guys sitting there turn around in canon to literally perve on her. Like, all it was missing was Warner Bros cartoon style eyes out on stalks and tongues unravelling onto the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You should contact a guy on twitter called Killian M2 video archive - he has a stupid amount of old tapes he is digitising and it might ring a bell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭larchielads

I remember the ad, I can see yer wan walk thru the bar and gettin ogled by the guys, and as the song ends ,the sit down next to meeeeeee , bit she sits down beside the guy she's supposed to meet and I think she takes a sup out of his pint, but I'm fcuked if I can remember if it was smithwicks harp or bloody Hoffman's the ad was sellin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Sounds more like a Benny Hill sketch?

Complete with "Action Replay" at 2.33 just incase you missed anything.

From 1981, to me 1990's would have been getting a bit late for that sort of thing in an advert.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Definitely existed and a great feel-good ad IIRC. Memories of the glory in qualification for USA 94

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I'm nearly sure the ad with that James song was featured on Reeling in the years if you've the time to go through 10 1990's episodes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

It's used in the 1991 episode, playing over footage of the coup in Russia . No sight of a beer advert though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

As it hasn't turned up so far, meanwhile here's an early 90s classic ad for Bass. Think it must have inspired that much later Guinness one with Michael Fassbender.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I wonder what % of pubs in Ireland you could actually buy a Bass in at the time.

Was that filmed in the Crown in Belfast?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There was a big relaunch of Bass around 1990 if I recall, for a while you could get it in lots of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i tried to get chatgpt to recreate the ad for you, but no go. Even the AI thought that it was too sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Just because you can’t find it doesn’t mean you’re NOT going crazy 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I remember that song in an ad back in the day and Heineken was the first thing that jumped into my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I also associated it with the World Cup in my head, has to be '94 because I was too young in '90 and the song was pretty ancient by '98.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I remember it too. Pretty sure it was Heineken. I also have a recollection of a follow up ad with the same song where the entirety of the add is a series of lovely bottoms sitting next to each other.

They all have lovely bottoms.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm currently looking up ad breaks from RTE in 1990 and 1989. I ahven't found it yet.

Came across this. It's a very sensationalist advert for Crimeline.

Also, thanks to this thread, I've now watched a ridiculous number of adverts for liver fluke prevention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭ThePentagon

The ad definitely existed and it was definitely for Heineken. I seem to remember though the tops of her stockings were only visible for a moment when she sat up on the barstool, which still was quite daring for the time.

Like someone else suggested you could ask Greg Molloy, aka Killianm2 on twitter or check out his website - he more than likely has it in his video archive:

https://www.killianm2tvarchive.com/

Jaysus, I remember watching that same edition of Crimeline and that re-enactment. Wonder was the guy caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Modulok

I think it might have been advertising Stag, Harp, Carling or Carlsberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭maniac2003

Might be a good start.......definitely jog the memory if nothing else

Dont think it was for Stag. They tended to have a very distinctive style of tv advert with stylish but moody, people, interiors,music etc. From what I remember of the ad op is talking about it wouldn't really fit the template they had, especially the use of a jaunty number like Sit Down.

There's also the thing that Stag was marketed at women.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Any chance it could have been an ad for tights or impulse deodorant just set in a pub

• Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Just shows that Google is not all knowing and everything isn't on the internet. Old ads may be ephemeral lost media. Alternatively the OP is misremembering or on a windup.

The only somewhat relevant info I found online is that James were protective of their song and didn't allow it to be used much in advertising or TV programmes. So my impression of it being used in multiple different ads is probably wrong.

The mineral water ad with the bare arse that I mentioned earlier is real. I'm 95% sure it was Volvic and the year was c. 1992.

It definitely existed and it was definitely for beer, I remember it for one and several other posters. Not all ads, even from as recently as the 90s are online or easily found by a quick search.

• Advertisement

In the same vein as the original post......

Had a discussion with a friend today. She's certain there's a music video where a woman is singing to a sheep and then there are people living inside the sheep. I'm pretty certain it's a fever dream she had at some stage. She believes it's from the 90's. Any ideas?

Advertisement