Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single / Is 160m2 house too big?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I wouldn't take any notice of silly comments like this, if the house has a big garden plant a few trees and native flowers and you can sleep sound, some people think cycling and going without meat means they're morally and environmentally superior, never mind most of them wouldn't plant a spud or a tree to save their life

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Zack9

So 400m2 accomodation is acceptable for single person?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,754 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe you'd like to go back and read my actual posts, instead of trying to put words into my mouth?

Sorry , not trying to put words in mouth.

Just wondering what square meter you think is acceptable for 1 ... From environmental standpoint you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Buy a detached house end of story. You might have neighbours but at least you can close the door and relax when you want.

In a semi-d, you don't know who you'll end up next door to and their habits. An apartment could be a nightmare. I've only ever had peace in the detached houses I've been in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Okay so I fully understand you, I absolutely dislike the fact people are shamed into living in tiny cramped spaces. I like having a room dedicated to be an office, a room for a gym, a library, maybe a guest bedroom with ensuite so I can invite people over. and host them well. Whatever you fancy - go and get it. I dig that and strived for that too.

So I can only offer some warnings, cons if you will, of getting a larger / expensive house -

1. The extra €€€ in mortgage is significant. Especially given your age your repayments are going to be big. You could find yourself well satisfied with say a 100sqm €400k property vs the 150sqm €650k property, calculate the monthly repayments, put them side by side, are you happy with the higher repayment. It could be a difference of €1-2k, you're a high earner, but that money would probably have an impact on your quality of life. If you were to take a cheaper option, could you take an extra holiday or two, take unpaid leave, buy a sports car, enjoy the greater financial security, spend more on hobbies.
    2. By going with the more expensive option, you increase your bet on the market.
    3. Or, you could if you are so inclined buy an expensive, smaller house at a pricey in demand post code. I never had that need, but people tend to! Why not somewhere central, especially if you're the social type you'd appreciate a quick commute, easy access to facilities.
    4. There is extra cleaning and maintenance with a bigger house, you can only occupy so many spare rooms with your stuff, everything else will cost you time and effort. And of course the bills and cost of maintenance goes up a fair bit too. Spare rooms are not nice when you don't use them, they dust up, smell, get cold. There is just something unhomely about a large empty house. You have to fill it with stuff that makes you love it.
    5. Building on above, you may wish to forsake extra bedrooms and look at properties that have more SQM invested in living spaces. Have a large living room, kitchen, utility room, rather than 5 box rooms you have no use for.
    6. You are in your 40s and single, I would say it's somewhat unlikely that you will jump from that to having 5 kids, it makes perfect sense to have a bedroom or two spare, but not more unless having a large family is your ambition.
    7. Or get a house with potential to extend, maybe a large back garden or side, so you can enjoy say 3 beds now with the understanding that it wouldn't be too difficult to get an extension/conversion in the future make it a 4-5 bed family home. These are rare, but if you are lookign at detached houses anyway, put that on your pros and cons list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Just reading back through some absolutely insane posts about buying sustainably and living in a small sq meterage relative to occupancy. If you take anything from these comments OP, buy what you want and enjoy the comforts of what you have worked hard for. Don't take any notice of tree hugger mentality with the biggest financial decision you'll be making.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

This is a very interstellar post. The same has been on my mind for some time. Back in 2019 I was granted permission for a 242 sq foot two storey. Now I have no idea about sizes but the architect said this was normal size. I got quotes and it was in budget. However due to a horrible work situation followed by covid, I was unable to build it. The price has now gone up by €40k. When the engineer was doing the drawings, I asked him about changing the size and he told me that I would regret it and the difference would probably be about 500 blocks which wouldn't be a great saving. I don't know what the future will bring - will the government reduce VAT, give builders tax rebates. All I know is I cant live in my childhood bedroom anymore. To add, I'm also single but would love to meet someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭NewClareman

There is no right answer, it depends on you, your circumstances and priorities. There's a lot more day-to-day work, cost and maintenance involved in a larger property. You really need to think through what your requirements are. Is this your forever home, or just for now. Is location the biggest issue? Privacy? Space for living? Entertaining? Working from home? ...

• Buy exactly what you love and that you can afford to mortgage and to pay upkeep on going forward. It will be a great asset, even if you ever had to downsize for any reason as yet unknown. You can make a spare bedroom or two for putting up family or friends, you could have a hobby room, or two baby rooms, library etc as you wish. Enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,981 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If a person has the money, acceptable doesn't come into it as it's no one's business but theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭secman

Buy what you like and what makes you happy.... not what others think is best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Emissions are everyone's business. They will impact us all, and future generations.

Then you should move to a warmer climate so that you aren't responsible for the higher emissions that result from irresponsibly living in a country with an average temperature of 9.7°C.

At risk of getting way off topic, can you provide a source for your claim that moving to a warmer climate would reduce emissions overall please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Deagol

Way to dodge the question.

OP, myself and the boss bought a 3500sq/ft house out in the country after we sold up our 1400sqft semi in a town. House simply ticked all the boxes, larger than we needed / wanted really but it was a compromise we could live with. As it was built 20 years after the semi, found it's actually no less expensive to run. In fact, because it was so large I've installed 6.1kw of solar and updated the heating system etc to be more efficient so net it's slightly cheaper than the old house.

We have a growing tribe of grandkids that we can accomodate nicely now also. And it's great being able to have tons of people over if we want and have plenty room.

You're in a different place in life but I think you should buy once and buy right! I wish I'd have been able to afford this place when we were younger! Go for it, but weigh all the pros and cons carefully.

What's to dodge? It is the ratio of people to space that is the issue here.

You ignored the question of what square meter property you think is reasonable for a single person...from your moral high ground?

It's not something I've thought about, and not something I really want to spend a few hours researching. The OP asked for opinions on whether a large four bed house was too big for one person, so I answered that it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

There was a report published last week or the week before that a living space of 40 Square meters per person is more than adequate and planning in Ireland going forward will focus on smaller houses due to emissions, energy consumption etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Tork

OP why are you so bothered by what other people think? Everyone has their own opinion and that's fine. You're the only one who'll be living and paying for your home. It also seems to be manifesting itself in your thoughts about buying in the middle of a housing crisis. Maybe it's better to ask yourself deeper questions about why you didn't buy the house you mentioned in your first post. Was it really because of angst about taking it off a "more deserving" buyer? Or was it cold feet? Or simply not the right house for you.

No need. I lived most of my life in Australia in houses without central heating or airconditioning, so I know this for a fact.

Thanks for update all.

I decided to go for a bigger detached house.

But...I'm holding off for now, I can see drops coming in market. Keeping an eye out for something coming up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Deub

No advice for the OP but personally 160sqm is ok. I wouldn’t want bigger, not because I wouldn’t know what to do with the extra space but because you have to keep the place clean and I don’t want to spend half day/week to do cleaning chores.

Some people only realises this once they move in. It is like having a big garden but suddenly you realise you have to mow the lawn every weekend otherwise it looks like abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,437 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

fantastic post, everyone should just be ignorant and think about themselves........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

People have to live somewhere and that's usually in a house. Are you suggesting we stop building houses to reduce emissions? Or live in a shoebox sized house?

And for clarity, my position on us suffering here in Ireland to reduce global emissions is that we are wasting our time. Anything we do won't make a jot of difference because we are only adding a few drops into the lake meanwhile India, China etc. have the floodgates wide open going into the lake. Sorry for going off topic.

I'm suggesting that having one person living in a 160m2 house isn't a great use of resources. Try arguing with what I actually said.

I should have known that the oul 'But China...' excuse would come up. We don't have much credibility to be lecturing China given our per capita emissions are worse, 3rd worst in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Tis nice to have your own big house with a big garden around for privacy and quality of life. I used to live in a terrace and you could hear the neighbours fart next door. No privacy. If you had someone talk to you at your front door, the neighbours could hear. Garden was too small to entertain in etc.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. You didn't want a big house with a big garden. That's exactly what I wanted. Yep, there's extra work but there's extra benefits too.

Advertisement