Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single / Is 160m2 house too big?

Options
  • 08-12-2022 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20 Zack9

I'm buying alone but can afford up to 650k while utilizing max mortgage. I'm recently back from abroad and have saved massive deposit. Hoping to buy in South Dublin/Wicklow area.

I have looked at houses with sizes suitable for single person...nothing really appeals to me. I like privacy of detached houses. Additionally, I feel smaller houses often offer less value for money or bring more risk of being beside council house.

I was looking at a 4bed detached house of 162m2 but couldn't get myself to pull trigger. People(and myself) kept telling me it was too big. Am I mad to be buying house this big and just contributing to Irelands housing issue. I love the idea of a detached house but all are big for one.

I'm in 40s so don't know if I'll have family in it one day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I think you should buy what you want and feel comfortable in. You can't save Ireland housing issues.

You don't know how life changes and you may have the family to fill the house with.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 35 southofthelee

Is 160m2 house too big? Yes IMHO if you are not planning on having a family / sharing the space.

Buy a good apartment instead and a summer house (Ireland or Abroad) in somewhere you enjoy visiting. You can then use this as an income producing asset if you wish (summer rentals etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

it all depends on your lifestyle. A room for storage or other stuff, if you've pets you've toys, foods... if you WFH, a dedicated home office is always nice, if you've friends or relatives visiting, they may have their own room, rather an air mattress in the living room, but above all, if you like it and you can afford the mortgage, go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Zack9

Thanks for suggestion southofthelee...but I do hate apartments... especially in this Country.

I would try make use of space, 1 guest room, 1 home office for wfh, maybe 1 gym room....1 room to who's function is to collect dust...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Don't buy an apartment!

Do buy what you like, where you like best. 160m2 is a big house for one though. Unless it's very well built and insulated, it will be expensive to heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

1700 sq foot?

Would that not be a bit below average size?

Really DonaldTrump?, That's below average?, Would not have thought that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

F**k other people.

If you want a decent sized gaff and have the money to do it, why wouldn't you?

If you do want to fill it with family eventually, believe me when i say that having a 1700 sq ft pad under your arse will attract all range of extraordinary woman for you to choose to procreate with!

If you don't have a family in a few years, sell it and buy a beautiful apartment in an amazing location.

Best of luck with your new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

If you can buy detached and prefer detached. Buy detached.

Far superior and main concern when I've bought

• Advertisement

Is €650k going to get you a 162m2 detached in a *good area* in South County Dublin/Wicklow? I doubt it.

No point in having 162m2 in a craphole.

Location matters....

Yes fair point, maybe I am a bit out of touch with market. I did see properties I was interested in previously but asking prices not end price. I could increase budget to 700k if needed and still be relatively comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭unimaginativeusername

Absolutely buy where and what you want. You’ll be living there and you need to be happy. Personally I’d rather buy smaller if it was cheaper so my financial commitments wouldn’t be as great but if you can manage it, it’s your business. If your financial circumstances change for worse, you have rooms to rent as a fall back or you have the option to downsize. I relate completely to taking on board too much of what other people might think but I’m trying to get better at that and I wish the same for you. Happy home hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭unimaginativeusername

Only thing I’d add is be open minded to changing your idea about what is important to you. Your criteria could change as you search and suddenly a terraced home in your dream location is much more appealing, for example.

A small but well (re)designed home in a good area will always beat a large overpriced detached home in a craphole.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭NSAman

Buy what you want.

two of us live in 5600sq ft. We like space. In Ireland we have a 1200sq ft house which we both think needs extending. Ok cleaning takes longer on a large house, but it’s nice to have space and not feel enclosed.

it all depends if you like the house, the area and think it’s worth the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

There's 2 of us in a thousand square foot house and it's nearly perfect, except for being tight on space for storage occasionally I think another 200 square foot would be loads for us, cheap to heat and quick to clean so it's ideal, but your money op if you want a big house go for it

• Advertisement

And Wicklow it seems too

4-bed detached houses. Some under 1700 sq ft. Plenty over it too. I'd say the average size is more than what the OP quoted.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/wicklow/detached-house-for-sale?minbeds=4&maxbeds=4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Dante

I'm in a similar position, however I'm looking for something a little smaller in a more central location. Do whatever you feel you want tbh, if you find a house you really like at that size and you can realistically afford it, then go for it.

Not sure what your point is?

Is it that 160m2 is average size for 4bed house in Ireland or average house size in general in Ireland?

Either way, doesn't seem relevant to topic, might be missing something but seems like tangent?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

just finished building a house, single, thought 160m2 was a bit big but my father convinced me incase i ever needed to sell would be better to have a family sized house. but am glad now. plenty of space for what ever I want to do, and lots of room for visitors and an office. feck living in a small apartment if you can afford something more comfortable

Because people seem to be telling you it's too big. I'm saying it's not exactly a ridiculously oversized mansion and buy it if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

You’ve worked hard abroad and made sacrifices, so , Buy the big house , get in a designer and knock 4 bedrooms into two nice suites , as others have said you ain’t going to solve the housing crisis on your own .

All the focus is on the size, how do you feel about the mortgage?

If you are maxing out how might that impact other uses of those resources, like pension or earlier retirement say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

if the house is in the right condition and area buy it. You can always use zoned heating to only heat the rooms you're using, and leave the others at a good temperature to avoid problems (colder than you'd want to be in, but that won't cause damp etc). The housing crisis isn't yours to solve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,752 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

We all need to think about sustainability and impact on the environment. The larger the house, the more emissions that will have gone into building it, maintaining it and heating it. The further away from your workplace or your family you go, the more emissions that will be involved in travel. I wouldn't be mad keen on apartments either. Are there any older 2-bed cottages or townhouses perhaps that might meet your needs?

Advertisement