Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

the swedes would know with the weather they get. i live close to a mountain pass which is the fastest route to dublin via m8 from where we are. i was considering the awd as that road is hilly, fairly high altitude (for ireland) and exposed to the worst winter weather mother nature throws at us in ireland. its concerning to see this video. there is an alternative route via the m9 which at best takes 15-20 mins longer. it would have to be taken in inclement weather if the awd is as crap in icy conditions as the video suggests.

more recently i've been swaying towards the tesla m3 rwd or seal rwd, my final decision in the next 6 to 12 months all depends on how the seal performs noting feedback from boardsies on here.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭grumpygit

AWD has been fixed with a software update I think, talked about on Facebook seal page. Guy also has a new video out showing it fixed.

https://www.expressen.se/tv/livsstil/teknikens-varld/byd-seal-far-mjukvaruuppdatering-gallande-fyrhjulsdriften/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

What's the fix though, like does it work in all scenarios and modes?

Does the issue effect all AWDs or a subset? And will the fix be rolled out via the dealer networks?

Kind of duff tbh from BYD

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Interesting video and good test.

As none of this is really mechanical as such the control of the motors operation in conditions is all software. I'm sure it's tweaked and controlled on software side.

Pretty serious ball drop though. Would assume BYD should be heading to places like Norway for their 4WD and snow ice testing there's facilities, reputation and history there.

If the front motors were not being properly utilised and this fix brings them back into play can we now expect a loss of range with the upgrade or is power only sent to them when conditions demand it, mainly snow or icy conditions. I know I accidentally put a wheel on my wet lawn and am now in need of grass seed so can I now say it wasn't my fault

• Advertisement

serious ball drop. no need to go to places like norway when there's a multitude of place in china where they could have tested the cars in similar conditions. its concerning such an important matter such as AWD functioning correctly has been somehow overlooked.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

I'm saying from an experience stand point. The facilities and operations up there are the gold standard for vehicle manufacturers.

Anyone talked to their dealer on this? I have a feeling there's no point as the fix will be probably pushed out OTA.

Taken from Facebook. BYD reply saying update will be sent to dealers and then OTA

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭AUDI20

Another site worth checking out for BYD stuff. www.nicebyd.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Blackadder11

I may be taking delivery in a couple of weeeks. This is my current checklist from my onw experience plus useful entries on this discussion, please comment if you have a moment.

Check odometer for "mileage"

Paintwork, side, usual spots, underneath

Smell inside (mould, stale, fresh, too much "new car aerosol" ?

Software version

Ask for installation of dashcam, confirm working

Windows, VIN mark, etc.

Wiper rubbers

Which side stalk for indicators?

Ask for no treatment of paintwork if getting it done myself?

Am I missing any clear basics, many moons since I took a new car from a dealer.

You'd have to buy the dashcam btw. They don't supply one.

Check the alloys various deliveries with marks on them.

I have to say that's impressive.

They do claim to take on board feedback from customers and I guess this is a very good example.

Just a question about the USB Functions. The USB A under the front console is the only one that seems to work for apple car play, but if I want to use a USB Stick with all my music on it it have to plug out the apple car play and plug in my USB. On the AUDI I had two usb connections I could use plus an SD Card slot. The USB A in the back looks like its only for charging as are the two USB C's.I do miss the wireless apple car play I had in the Audi..

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭corkandproud

Guess we're going to have to shout a bit louder about the radio!

For those getting poor radio reception have you tried the automatic Tuning feature, must say my radio reception is excellent with my local station WLR/fm also beat and 2fm.

I think there's 1 under the rubber mat in the center console under the lid. You have to clip the mat out. It's for karaoke I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's a Karaoke option?

Is installed in the Asian versions.

Didn't make it over to us 😅

• Advertisement

One usb is for faster charging. One for data and slower charging.

You're caught if you need two data ports.

And the latest update should bring the BYD store app. And from there you can download the karaoke app.

The Han ships with one or two microphones and has karaoke as standard.

Post edited by RainInSummer on

I think there's more slots under there though. It's a recharge station for karaoke mics

I didn't notice any, just the SIM card gadget. Not to say they are not there though.

Video on the update on YouTube from Ludicrous Feed:

14:05. You plug the receiver into the data usb port according to the on screen message.

I think I'll pick up a pair of mics.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭GPoint

Normal reaction to a major flaw discovered by reviewers. In fact the all wheel drive did not work as declared at all.

One should question how this made it to production in such condition but I know the answer already, pressure to release product sooner and fix the issue later.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Is it ? Seems a quick reaction to me can’t recall legacy manufacturers being as quick with similar issues but maybe they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

One month (+ one week) of ownership and 2000km on the clock, here is my review so far:

The Good:

Most comfortable car I've ever owned, Noise, Vibration and Harshness is brilliant. In a way it seems subtle at first, but as soon as you sit in someone else's car you notice how massive the difference is!

Love the HUD. Took a little while to get used to but will never go back to a car without one. Would be nice to have some extra info (maybe on the way with updates), and it would be especially nice to have a "night drive" feature something like Saab cars, where both displays could be turned off, with only the HUD left on.

Vented seats, again will never go back. I'm a big sufferer of sweaty back and behind syndrome, nice that I don't need a shower every time I drive to Dublin anymore!

Speaking of, did Cork to Dublin Airport. Left at 100% charge arrived at 30% charge in Blanchardstown for a fast charge and grub. Did 5 over the speed limit the whole way. That's the longest drive I will ever do so it's nice to know range anxiety won't be a thing for me no matter the weather.

Besides the occasional fast charge, I have 11kW charging at work and solar panels at home, so it costs almost nothing to run.

I bought the AWD because I am a manchild, and it's nice to be able to gun it at every traffic light without thinking about how much fuel I'm burning, or worrying about my former remapped car suddenly deciding to launch one of my pistons into orbit.

I've found the ADAS systems to be generally pretty good, no major lane keep swerves so far, and radar-guided cruise and lane keep work exactly as they should on the motorway. The fact that radar-cruise will stop and go by itself in traffic jams just feels super fancy to me.

The bad:

I wish Android Auto either a) didn't pop up every time I start the car or b) the top and bottom bars remained on-screen so I didn't have to awkwardly swipe for them. The screen is big enough like!

Traffic sign recognition a) has to be turned off every drive, b) doesn't always pick up the correct speed, and can even conflict with BYD's own GPS system, and c) really needs an option to only warn you if you go 5/10 over, not immediately over. Honestly if they just fixed c that would solve it for me and I would just leave it on.

As many have mentioned, the radio is fairly useless. Not sure not having any shark antenna was worth the .00000001 reduced drag coefficient.

ADAS really doesn't like double roundabouts, any time there's a car moving in the inside lane and I'm merging on the outside it freaks out. Needs to be fixed as it has emergency braked (to a complete stop on a roundabout!!) needlessly on me.

I will admit I make a mistake on the M50 of almost merging to the left with a car in my blind-spot. No harm done, but the side mirror warning light is a bit hard to see in direct sunlight, and the car didn't warn me until I had already entered the lane, I would much prefer if it a) gave me an audible warning the second I put my indicator on and/or b) showed the camera feed from that blind-spot on the main display or dash display like Hyundai/Kia do when I flick on the indicator.

Other minor comments:

I put the dashcam in myself the day I got the car, took 10 mins and works perfectly.

Car often seems to struggle to put all its power down. I've had more traction issues in this than in my almost 400hp RWD car. Maybe the AWD update will fix this, maybe it's tire related.

The trade-off for good NVH is the suspension is bouncy. Not an issue to me, but noticeable to my motion-sensitive other half.

No errors, bugs, glitches, or crashes to report so far, as it should be! 

The app really needs extra features ASAP. Even my 2016 BMW would let me find it via GPS on its app!

Thanks for coming to my Ted(x) talk.

Never heard of manufacturers sending a team out to a country thousands of miles away to validate some reporters findings and then implement a fix within a week tbh.

That's extremely swift reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Woodie40

Interesting views, don’t have one of these, agree about the H.U.D.

I wouldn’t consider any car that didn’t have one or Carplay, once you have those, you can never go back to poverty spec cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

Great write up. Test-drove the design today out of Deansgrange as wanted to experience the 200bhp reduction. Plenty quick in sport mode off a standing start in fairness. Indicators on opposite side are a non issue. Indicator ‘clicking’ noise is louder than I’d like. Meant to check was the rear reverse light a single or double offering as another poster said it’s rear left side only. Definitely LEDs visible inside the RHS enclosure but probably fog. Left everything on and apart from the speed warnings, behaved fine. Audio sound still poor for a car that appears to have so much. Sure even looks like they stuck a woofer in the rear. That being the case, the sound should be better. Adjusting Graphic equalizer makes feck all difference really.

Advertisement