Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

TopBYD. Think someone mentioned they were more expensive than others but I find AliExpress and co a real PITA to search through.

Ten days to land and you even get a free microfibre cloth. Woo.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭AUDI20

Got the Dashcam fitted today in the dealers, while I was there a transporter lorry arrived with 6 RWD Seals. 4 White and Two black.Have yet to see a Blue or Grey,

Did they charge you for the install?

No charge, when i collected the car they told me they would fit the Dashcam when I got it free of charge.all I had to provide was the Dashcam and a micro sd card

• Advertisement

That's the job so. I did my own one handy enough with a cheap trim kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Dropping into deal tomorrow to get the sticky rear door handle fixed, hopefully it's just the silicone lube fix and not a defective handle.

Dealer was very accommodating either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭grumpygit

Front of handle possibly slightly opening and rear part staying closed. Try locking the car, pressing on the front of handle where it pops out and while pressing there unlock the car with the key. The door handle might open now. Then a dose of WD-40 or equivalent

I've tried every possible combination.

It opens sometimes, get stuck other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anyone noticed the brake brakes only seem to operate at very low speeds when pedal pushed. Anything faster and when the brake is pushed is nearly entirely regen. Noticed when coming down our hill the regen ramps up into the -80kw plus into -100s. Wouldn't show that sort of return if the pads were engaged.

• Advertisement

mine was the same, only occasionally would it open , think its a common issue, they fixed it the way i stated., hopefully will be the same for you. Dont expect to be with them for long, will be a nice excuse for a leisurly saturday morning drive anyway.

I've seen up to 117kW regen and there still looked room for more. There's a brake setting about somewhere but I think it's too do with weighting at high speeds rather than regen. I reckon you're bang on with regards to regen and the brakes not physically engaging.

I found them quite grabby at slow speeds initially but got used to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

I presume they are blended brakes like VW, Hyundai etc use. ie, normal light/medium braking only gives regen, you need to press quite hard for the normal brakes to operate. And of course regen doesn't operate at slow speeds, so normal brakes will only then operate hence the different feel. I cannot remember from my test drive.

My Model 3 doesn't have blended brakes, regen only available on lifting off the accelerator. You still rarely need to use the proper brakes, but when you do there is a more normal feel to them. There are advantages and disadvantages with both systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Use Code BYDTOM for 5% discount on TopBYD. Bought a few things. Dashcam arrived. Waiting for a few other bits.

How's everyone getting on with the NFC card?

I'd heard the card stops working after an hour. Something to do with the NFC reader in the wing mirror going asleep.

So I did a little experiment today and left the keys at home. Two hour walk and came back and the card opened the door first time. So doesn't look like the hour thing is true in all cases.

Then spent 50 mins away from the car and the card just wouldn't work at all.

Tested my theory of using the app to switch the car on and it does indeed wake the reader up again. So you can gain entry via the app and card.

Duff implementation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just test drove one of these RWD, without having to read the whole thread what's the catch it seems like a lot of car for the money with a decent warranty.

It is a lot of car for the money, I changed from an Audi A6 C8 and just loving the Seal. Equally as comfortable as the Audi and more fun to drive.

Sticking rear door handle sorted.

Needed a blast of silicone lubricant. Did the job.

While at it, got all 4 handles done and Duane (salesman in BYD Cork) gave me the rest of the can to take away in case it happens again.

Have to say the after sales at BYD Cork has been every bit as good as the pre sales process.

The catch is if you're a badge snob then the Byd isn't for you.

I came from a BMW i4 e40 and then an i4 M50 and opted for the Seal as I prioritised range over performance. I loved the i4 but it was difficult to justify the depreciation on a 90k car when I don't do big mileage (I also had lots of issues with the BMW and with the way BMW and the dealer treated me when the issues happened). The Seal is every bit as comfortable inside and the performance is good enough for me.

Only thing that really needs to improve is the app.. lacking in some of the basic features that you'd expect but they hopefully come in the next few versions.

3 months with the car and I am delighted with it, more than happy with my decision to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

For anyone on the fence, this review sums it up in a nutshell.

• Advertisement

What range are people seeing in the rwd and AWD not trying to hypermile. The rwd I drove was showing about 530km on 99%

If I put the AWD into a abrp, it's showing me nearly 100% battery usage on a 360km jaunt that's about 80% motorway. Could be a setting in the app it's only the free version.

The GOM can't be trusted, like all EVs, it's just a guess, although I will admit I find it to be even less accurate than the GOM was in my i4

I've got around 440km doing motorway speeds 90% of the journey, that was a dry mild day, just me in the car, doing cork - Dublin return.

Around the city I'd be expecting well over 600km but I haven't done a full discharge doing dirt driving.

It's the rwd you have? I'd be leaning towards the AWD, when I jumped back into into mine I noticed how quick it was, going back to 300bhp for 455bhp might be a bridge too far. They'd no AWD there to test.

AWD will see lesser range.

Not to scare you off as it was the worst possible conditions that are rarely encountered, but.....

I got 140km from 45% from the AWD. 90% motorway at 120km/h indicated, the rest at 100km/h, with a small bit of 80km/h thrown in.

Snow, sleet, rain, head wind and 2-5⁰C all the way. Two lads in car and a full load of baby seats and luggage.

That's good to know, I'd probably stay at home on a day like that, still a 10 minute charge would probably do a lot for it. Would you go AWD again, probably not a huge amount in the range between the two. There's no other difference just the power?

I have done 3665K on my AWD. Wallbox tells me i have used 982 KWh total. Up to 10 per cent of that lost in charging so say the total received by car is 884 Kwh. (all my charging done from wallbox). 3665 divided by 884 gives me 4.14Km per 1Kwh. With a battery size of 82Kwh that gives me a total range of 340K. Hopefully someone will tell me my maths are completely wrong and I can delete this post. Would have been hoping for a better result. I still wouldnt let that take away from the car, still more than happy with my purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pt01

A question for owners, is the boot space adequate for a family? Would you fit 2 large suitcases in the boot for example?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s smaller than a model 3 for example but bigger than the 530e. It’s perfectly useable and adequate for the class of car IMO.

Although I didn’t try fit suitcases in the day I had them side by side.

Advertisement